Active Topics

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by arnoldthebat View Post
To follow up on this (since there is way to much FUD on this matter on the internet and in these forums), I took the scary concept of actually talking to Nokia Care in the UK today and was told the same story as above. Turn by turn voice guided Sat Nav would be available for free on the N900.
The conversation was wooly about when we would get it, but factual that we would get it. The operative was saying hopefully in the next FW release but could not confirm that as a definate.
It is good to know that UK customer care have the same speech. I was pessimistic and worried when Nokia first announced Ovi Maps free navigation and the lot of FUD that came after that. Now I am getting more confident, not only due to the contact with the customer care but my suspicion about Nokia Maps 3.03 be based on Qt4.6. I am currently digging the Internet to find out that this may be true or not. If somebody knows that please post here or send me a PM.

Just to be clear, my willing here is not creating more FUD or complains. I am just brainstorming about the future of Ovi Maps on Maemo, which I think it is the purpose of this thread. In case I am wrong please forgive me and tell me what would be the proper place to discuss such subject.

Thanks

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Ovi maps on the n900, like a lot of things on the n900, feels like it's half finished and just chucked on there. Does anyone know if the maemo team in Nokia are a large group or well resourced? It feels to me like they are talented programmers and have a better grasp than the Symbian guys, but it also feels like they are a small team who really could do with a lot more team members/resources from Nokia to back them up.
From what some Maemo personnel at the summit said, the Ovi developers are an independent group, separate from the Maemo and Symbian teams.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
Hi russo_br,

If you are curious about what Maemo 6 Application Framework is based on, you could look here: http://qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-framework

The Following User Says Thank You to bbns For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bbns View Post
Hi russo_br,

If you are curious about what Maemo 6 Application Framework is based on, you could look here: http://qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-framework
Thanks, I am mostly curious since I am not a developer, but before buying my N900 I have only heard about Qt but didn't imagine it could have great potential for cross-platform development & deployment. I read on this forum that Maemo 6 will be entirely based on Qt and Maemo 5 already has it on beta stage, but my technical skills on the subject are not enough to evaluate if all applications based on Qt will be easily ported between Maemo 5/6 and Symbian. If this portability turn out to be true it sure will be a great play from Nokia, and they will be able to give Apple Store a real strong competitor.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pilsen, Czech rep.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
guys check this out...

http://noknok.tv/2010/01/22/free-ovi...nd-nokia-n900/
This has been pointed out a million other times on these forums, the actual Nokia rep said this: Vanjoki pointed out that “in later dates we will also be increasing the number of support for this [sic] and certainly moving forward it will also support Maemo”

Maemo != Maemo 5 for N900, and Nokia has given absolutely no official indication that the N900 will run anything other than Maemo 5..

craftguy: think positive

This sucks. Why bring out a new device and not give it some priority so it can shine. This kinda feels like a Nokia afterthought.

Nokia currently give priority to the most owned models.(f.e. Nokia 5800 xpress aso.) Just try to understand that N900 is the new thing and everything is on its way at this point. I guess the "time" for N900 will start around the middle of this spring. Do not worry, they are not going to leave this model half-supported...