Hey, is it still worth buying a N900 ; or just buy an android?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Let's see: Nokia fiddled around with Linux for 5 years, and in the end all they had to show for it is one single device, with a proprietary Linux distribution, discontinued after one year of production, and with zero chance of making another device?

A headless chicken could have done better.

Nokia were never really serious about Linux in the first place.
Riiiiiggghht. So the n770, n800, n810 don't count?

Yes, Maemo is not available on anything outside of Nokia devices but you can't deny that progress has been made from OS2006 until now.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
i have always been a maemo enthusiast, however concerned about adobe flash 10 support and security given the new dynamics...

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post

Yes, Maemo is not available on anything outside of Nokia devices but you can't deny that progress has been made from OS2006 until now.
Look at Ubuntu and the progress made in these five years for a real example of progress that counts.

Maemo is a hobby project within Nokia.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by raviban View Post
Hey, is it still worth buying a N900 ; or just buy an android?
Depends on the price to be honest and if you're one of those techie hacker types. At this point my next phone will be an Android, I think. Love the N900 mind you but it's too niche for most people.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmangs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Look at Ubuntu and the progress made in these five years for a real example of progress that counts.

Ubuntu has a much larger development community, also, comparing them side by side, personally I think maemo has made a lot more progress, at least visually. Not to mention, wtf has ubuntu got to do with an embedded platform of hardware _and_ software. Nokias' contributions to FOSS over the past 6-8 years has been pretty substantial, ranging from kernel all the way to the desktop, any company that does that gets a nod from me, it's pretty rare in this corporate lawyer driven world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA

I fully agree that Maemo is somewhat of a "hobby project" for Nokia. My point is that Meego appears to be heading down the same path. So.......... why all the FUD about Meego? We all know Meego isn't ready for the masses yet, so Nokia proclaiming that it will be somewhat of a sideshow to WP7 really isn't news. In fact, the situation with Meego is better than Maemo ever was. It is backed by the Linux Foundation along with several other corporate sponsors. And it is shaping up to be far more open than Maemo ever was.

As for the other point about Ubuntu, I think tswindell was spot on - nothing to add there.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
I fully agree that Maemo is somewhat of a "hobby project" for Nokia. My point is that Meego appears to be heading down the same path. So.......... why all the FUD about Meego? We all know Meego isn't ready for the masses yet, so Nokia proclaiming that it will be somewhat of a sideshow to WP7 really isn't news. In fact, the situation with Meego is better than Maemo ever was. It is backed by the Linux Foundation along with several other corporate sponsors. And it is shaping up to be far more open than Maemo ever was.
Probably because many were hoping that Nokia would finally take the next step after teasing their customers for 5 years with solid products, but not really having the full strength of the company behind those products. As far as that goes, not much has changed.

The main worry right now is the future of QT, which was supposed to be the library that would help applications cross from one OS to another. With the Microsoft deal, that puts things in doubt a bit.

That being said, I always thought that Maemo/Meego's greatest potential is in the tablet market, where there really isn't much comparable. Yes, Apple and Google retrofitted their phone OSs for tablets, but I really do think that Meego has the potential to top them all in that market. Whether it meets that potential is up to Intel and the other partners who are left.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010

How can you call Maemo in any way substantial? ok so what they gave is 4 devices based on this OS but how they dealt with it after that tells you it was not meant to be, well at least from Nokia.

IF Maemo and or Meego gets any further development i think we can safely say it will not come out of the Nokia stable.

Both are half baked and both have been totally stamped on by Nokia.

Oh and.... go easy guy ! your comments are rather bashful.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
How can you call Maemo in any way substantial? ok so what they gave is 4 devices based on this OS but how they dealt with it after that tells you it was not meant to be, well at least from Nokia.

IF Maemo and or Meego gets any further development i think we can safely say it will not come out of the Nokia stable.

Both are half baked and both have been totally stamped on by Nokia.

Oh and.... go easy guy ! your comments are rather bashful.
abill_uk, you're new, you have no idea what the people in Nokia working on Maemo have done, both in and out of work. Over the past 6 years it has been an honour and a priviledge to work with those guys and they've contributed more to the FOSS community than you ever will. Any further work on MeeGo by Nokia, which will happen, they've already said it will happen, they've also already said they'd release a device this year based on those efforts, is a bonus. Hopefully, at least for the time being this device range will go back to being strictly for enthusiasts and developers, so we no longer have to deal with jack asses like you.

Last edited by tswindell; 2011-02-15 at 08:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:

Tags
its just a fail, stop dreaming, windelnkiabumby