Purchased From: www.misco.co.uk
Purchase/Arrival Date: ordered 11/12/2007/arrived 12/12/2007

(My background: Psion organisers, Nokia 9210, Sony Ericson P800, P900, P990i; Sony portable laptops: TR1MP and TZ)

- Wireless comms (wifi and Bt) - easy setup with my Sony Ericsson P990i phone and various wifi points,
- Usable (just!) keyboard,
- Clever backlight adjustment (screen & k/b),
- Open-ness and flexibility of the Linux-based platform,
- Super web-based support from places such as InternetTabletTalk (thank you, folks!)
- Standard 3.5mm audio jack
- overall performance: the N810 feels pretty fast in operation

Dislikes:
- Lack of physical separation / borders / distinction between keys on the keyboard
- Mozilla-based browser (I appreciate the tidy way Opera renders pages on both my laptop and the pocketable devices I've used over recent years). Hmm: I wonder if I can get an Opera for the N810?
- A shame the USB port isn't the same mini-usb as many of my other devices, and I dislike the new, slender and fragile-feeling Nokia power connector
- Poor in-the-box documentation on the device: I'm still trying to work out the significance of the various different colours of the flashing LED!

Favorite Apps:
- Maemo Mapper - fantastic, works well with the integral GPS, and very nearly justifies the price of the device on its own (I must remember to go make a donation to the Maemo Mapper cause!)
- openssh - at last: one of my pocketable devices can not only get inside my company's firewall, but also the openssh port redirection means I can access internal services using the devices own standard applications
- Xterm - a dollar-prompt and vi in my pocket :-)

Particular thanks are due to genevan for their post http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...4&postcount=13 which explained to me how to get started with the repositories and application manager (I thought I understood the concept, but didn't realise that there were multiple repositories and the device didn't come out-of-the-box with a complete setup of where to find new apps).

Simon.

Purchased From: www.misco.co.uk
Purchase/Arrival Date: ordered 12/12/2007/arrived 13/12/2007

(My background: Psion S3, HP200LX, nokia 770, Toshiba libretto 50CT)

- really like the keyboard (and also that we have other options as well)
- much better than my nokia 770
- even like the pouch
- others said lot of nice things before me

Dislikes:
- PDF reader is a great improvement, but why could not they make two small additional changes: 1) when one goes to the next page it should stay where it was vertically - if you align it in the middle it would be perfect to read pdf-s, also finer zoomng options would have been nice. Evince might correct these, also rotated mode would be nice sometime.
- It seems that a screw is missing on the left side on the back (when it is open) and because of it it is not as tight as it could be - any idea who should I contact? (Misco or Nokia?) Or can somebody just tell me what type of screw I should buy - I am not afraid of putting it in. Any help would be appreciated. (Anybody else having the same problem?)

Favorite Apps:
- would be PDF reading (hopefully Evince comes soon)
- FBReader

I plan to put build A+ (http://www.aplusdev.org) as it is the closest one can get to my favourite programming language called K (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_programming_language) on the tablet now.

Attila

Originally Posted by chippy View Post
I'm coming at this from a mobile PC angle
And therein lies the reasons for your disappointments.

Firsty, most importantly, because this is an internet tablet - the internet browsing is still way too slow.
Compared to a laptop, sure. Smaller = less powerful processor so yeah. But I understand this so Im OK with that. A more powerful processor would use more power and lower the battery life...

Meebo - Unuseable. Google Reader - Unuseable. Even Gmail is a pain. Too slow. Switching between tabs/windows takes too long.
Just bear in mind, that those apps didn't even work at all on the 770 and even the N800!

Love the design but screen too small for me. 4.8" @ 800x480 is my optimum.
Im glad its not a laptop.

Keyboard is disappointing but I need to give it time.
I wasn't expecting a great keyboard experience so its doesn't bother me but its good to have for certain applications. For writing I would get one of the many Bluetooth keyboards.

TOuchscreen - poor. Certainly very poor response (both physical and with software response) compared to an iPhone. Finger scrolling is not reliable.
Not noticed these problems. Did you try switching on the virtual memory in the control panel?

Battery cover doesn't fit properly.
It does for me but I will say it was tricky to get it to snap in correctly (took several tries), but it does fit flush with the case now. Maybe this is what you're seeing?

Software interface is much nicer than 2007. Starting to get useable from consumer point of view.
Agreed. From a usability standpoint, the larger menu items makes it much more finger-friendly than the 770 or N800.

mini-sd hard to get in/out.
I would say its fiddly. But then I have a 4Gb card that doesn't get removed very often.

OVerall, its not the consumer device I had hope that Nokia would produce and its far short of the full-internet handheld that I would like myself.
These are harsh words perhaps. Its not a laptop and never will be.

For me, its better than any smartphone out there. Better than the iPhone/iPod Touch. Lots of software available for it which can only get better over time.

You forgot to mention some of the nice touches like the light sensor (which I didn't know about) which was a nice surprise when I first saw it adjust the brightness and light up the keyboard. The LED is useful. The change in the placement of the top buttons is a vast improvement over the N800. I also like the styling of taskbar buttons on the left. The unit feels very solid and fits even better in my pant pocket.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
There is no need for Meebo when there is built in IM support for Jabber/SIP/Gtalk and Pidgin if you don't want to set up Jabber (with other gateways). Meebo would be a complete last resort IMO.

The same would go for Gmail via the web vs. setting it up as a POP or IMAP account for Claws or Modest mail.

The "Web" route isn't always the best route!

I think it's important to remember that even if the tablet is as good as current hardware gets for the money, it still might be too slow with a screen that is too small to be worth the price for some. I think that's valid feedback.

I like to see the constructive criticism: a device with a 4.8" screen that allows smooth web browsing with reasonable battery life is physically possible. It could even be smaller than current tablets. The technology is just not affordable yet. But I like the vision, and it's good to hear which areas people think require the most future work.

The Following User Says Thank You to slim For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Purchased From: www.letstalk.com
Purchase/Arrival Date: Nov. 23 (ordered)/Dec. 8 (delivered)

(My Background: HP Jornada 548, HP iPaq 2215, Nokia 770, Apple iPhone)

Likes: Interface speed/UI improvements over 2007. True Flash 9 playback over the hacked up versions I had been using in 2007HE. Xterm off the bat... saved me one out of two of my first steps in my install. Ability to set up 128mb of Virtual RAM, 2gb internal memory... build, feel seems tons better than the N800. And getting it to boot now is muuuuuch faster than my 770.

Dislikes: The camera (horrid in anything but the brightest of bright days) , the inability to remove the internal memory card - sorry, but not being able to extend my Virtual RAM to my bigger external memory is bothering me too, once I load up the maps, I have zero room, and ran into where I couldn't extend out my virtual memory, had to clear my existing install, reset the darn thing... under one week of having it. Thank goodness I've had plenty of reset practice with my 770, I can install it back to "norm" in under 3 minutes with my bluetooth keyboard.

Micro USB. Seriously... I've had to buy some of the oddest darn memory cards due to Nokia. Make up your mind Nokia.

Favorite Apps: Skype and Gizmo... hands down. Finally I can use BOTH and not run out memory and have them run alongside each other without issue. Pidgin, I've gotten used to since it's on my main PC as well as my 770. Can't say that I'm surprised - I know, I know... covered all to death by now - that the IMAP doesn't work. Modest doesn't really enthuse me, but I'd like to replace the standard e-mail client real quick. Even my iPhone supports that

Even though I came from a Mobile Windows background... thank god for Linux devices. At least I can use these without too many problems. Just wish the results of using the software was a consistent affair, it truly isn't.

Overall I'm happy, just real surprised that I have to wait for some of the more blockbuster apps... had to wait for Skype which still doesn't have video, waiting for Canola - which I will be patient for, and waiting for true IMAP support in the mail app.

Best investment in a while. Just wish the integrated GPS was worth it. Gotta learn Maemo Mapper now.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Lots of my thoughts here:

http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php.../n810_thoughts

The hardware's very nice, generally. OS2008 is very nice, generally. Pleasantly surprised by the GPS after all the comments here.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Hampshire
Hi everybody,

I hope this isn't my first and last post here but it may well be.

I have used one sort of handheld and another going back to the early days of the first Psions. Also laptops starting with the very first one from HP in 1986 and every Mac laptop that has been out. I am also fluent in a lot of programming languages including PL1, PL2, Algol, Common LISP, etc. (guess that shows my age) and can work my way around Linux without problems. I gave up on all of the handhelds some years ago because none of them had the functionality I needed, at least now without spending more time than it was worth; so, I stuck with my laptop, trying to keep it as small as possible.

When the N810 was announced I was psyched. I figured this was the device that would let me work on planes, work in the hotel, make phone calls from anywhere in the world and maybe, just maybe leave my laptop home or in the suitcase most of the time. I was even more psyched when it arrived on Friday. Today I returned it to Amazon. Here are my detailed comments:

-It is cheesy, the metal on the back is just too thin, feels like a kid's toy. The cover on the memory card slot won't go back in and stay in after you insert the card. Not cool for something that costs this much.

-The GPS just plain didn't work. Couldn't get it to lock onto a satellite after driving around for over an hour in the car (no I am not going to stand outside in on place with it until it locks on as a Nokia tech suggested, at lest not right now in the middle of winter in New Hampshire).

-The web browser works well and is nicely done. I used it extensively and had no trouble reading the screen or navigating.

-Nice that it supports IM's but why not support the largest IM network on the planet, AIM? So I loaded Gismo to use its AIM chat capability, didn't work. Made phone calls just fine, just the IM's didn't work.

-Email is barebones to say the least and I couldn't get it to send mail on one account. I know all the setting ere correct but it just wasn't happy. Tried Claws too and that didn't work either.

-I realized there was little or no Mac support (we are a 100% Mac shop) but I figured I could do software updates using Parallel or Boot Camp. No such luck according to the friendly Nokia tech who said "it works some of the time and not others." That was the final straw, that was when it went back in the box and got returned.

I figure with some time and determination I could have worked through the other issues but why should I? This is being marketed as a consumer ready platform and it isn't. I see it is a slick piece of hardware that has huge potential and if I were making my living running networks, programming, etc. It would still be in my pocket. However, I don't and what I need is an internet tablet that does all the things the N810 is supposed to do but actually does them out of the box and does them well. Oh yes, does them well and is better put together than the N810 is. Shame, shame Nokia.

Originally Posted by bleek View Post
3. No USB Charging. The lack of this feature is a big negative IMO. I bought a $30 USB to Power Adapter when I bought my n810.
Does this adapter allow you to plug in the USB cable to the 810's power input? Sorry I didn't know they made adapters like this.. do you have a screen shot or link to an ebay auction selling this? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
Hi everybody,

I hope this isn't my first and last post here but it may well be.

I have used one sort of handheld and another going back to the early days of the first Psions. Also laptops starting with the very first one from HP in 1986 and every Mac laptop that has been out. I am also fluent in a lot of programming languages including PL1, PL2, Algol, Common LISP, etc. (guess that shows my age) and can work my way around Linux without problems. I gave up on all of the handhelds some years ago because none of them had the functionality I needed, at least now without spending more time than it was worth; so, I stuck with my laptop, trying to keep it as small as possible.

When the N810 was announced I was psyched. I figured this was the device that would let me work on planes, work in the hotel, make phone calls from anywhere in the world and maybe, just maybe leave my laptop home or in the suitcase most of the time. I was even more psyched when it arrived on Friday. Today I returned it to Amazon. Here are my detailed comments:

-It is cheesy, the metal on the back is just too thin, feels like a kid's toy. The cover on the memory card slot won't go back in and stay in after you insert the card. Not cool for something that costs this much.

-The GPS just plain didn't work. Couldn't get it to lock onto a satellite after driving around for over an hour in the car (no I am not going to stand outside in on place with it until it locks on as a Nokia tech suggested, at lest not right now in the middle of winter in New Hampshire).

-The web browser works well and is nicely done. I used it extensively and had no trouble reading the screen or navigating.

-Nice that it supports IM's but why not support the largest IM network on the planet, AIM? So I loaded Gismo to use its AIM chat capability, didn't work. Made phone calls just fine, just the IM's didn't work.

-Email is barebones to say the least and I couldn't get it to send mail on one account. I know all the setting ere correct but it just wasn't happy. Tried Claws too and that didn't work either.

-I realized there was little or no Mac support (we are a 100% Mac shop) but I figured I could do software updates using Parallel or Boot Camp. No such luck according to the friendly Nokia tech who said "it works some of the time and not others." That was the final straw, that was when it went back in the box and got returned.

I figure with some time and determination I could have worked through the other issues but why should I? This is being marketed as a consumer ready platform and it isn't. I see it is a slick piece of hardware that has huge potential and if I were making my living running networks, programming, etc. It would still be in my pocket. However, I don't and what I need is an internet tablet that does all the things the N810 is supposed to do but actually does them out of the box and does them well. Oh yes, does them well and is better put together than the N810 is. Shame, shame Nokia.
ok, i just quote the whole thing, so this is long
i completely agree with you on somethings, but you understand this is really a side project, and really isnt consumer ready, for IM you could use pidgin, or jabber(i think, dont actually use), really this is for internet browsing, and anything else, they're giving to the programmers, and just supplying some hardware, so i agree with your sentiments, but i do feel some things needed explanation.
as far as i can see, the N810 was really kept pretty quiet, really it was just caught with the touchscreen hype,
thats all