Qole,

I am trying now the Mer 0.9 Generic x86 VMWare image under Virtual Box. It's interesting... and it's my first impression of what 'mer' feels and works like on a tablet.

For the heck of it I installed Abiword. And what do you know, it appears to work fine... no crashes or hi-cpu usage (once I turned automatic spell / grammar checking. It interacted with the virtual keyboard ok, ie., no problems or crashes while doing simple ediing of a 20+ page word document.

I wonder if what I saw is indeed what happens with a real tablet flashed with Mer... that would be the next interesting data point. It'd be nice to get some clues as to why Abiword missbehaves so badly in easy-mer.

--denis

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'd like to believe you, but I think Abiword has always been better behaved under X86, which is why the developers can't be bothered to fix it. But I think this is a foolish idea on their part, for reasons I've already mentioned...

Well, got it installed successfully and am glad to have it to play with. I was never one to leave well enough alone. lol

The only odd thing is that the brightness control does not seem to be working. Everything stays at a low level, see-able but very dim.

Any ideas?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by seething View Post
The only odd thing is that the brightness control does not seem to be working. Everything stays at a low level, see-able but very dim.
Brightness control? What? I don't understand...

The screen stays dim like it's gone to power saving mode just before shutting off. I can open the Brightness/Sound levels control panel from the icon at the top but I get no response from the intensity of the light. It just stays dim.

seething: Does this happen after you run something from the Easy Mer image file? OpenOffice?

Or have you figured out a way to boot to the image?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
The dim problem exists with Mer when chanrger is plugged.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4199

My project is not about booting. I am using the Mer root filesystem to run applications in Maemo.

If you are booting to Mer, please use the latest Mer image and post in the current Mer thread (Currently Mer 0.9)

Qole,

With Mer v11 out, is there any incentive to update easy-mer to this new version?

--denis

Yes, I think there might be. Specifically, the new Mer desktop is quite nice; I think it will make a nice replacement for OS2008.

I'm quite busy right now, but I'm trying to find time to play with the Mer 0.11 release in my chroot.

I'm playing with the "replace Maemo desktop with Mer desktop" thing right now; I'm trying to figure out the details in my spare moments.

I'll post when I have something substantial.

Tags
chroot, easy debian, mer, testing, ubuntu