Active Topics

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
assumption that the maemo.org gang-of-four will expense Nokia directly
Hm, that probably needs some clarification I think. Is there a separate budget for Nokia employees and maemo.org *masters? I would expect so, but I see that some have requested sponsorship and some haven't so there may be some internal confusion about this as well.

Is the prioritisation roughly right? (ignoring whether it needs to be judgment based or just different numbers)
Looks fine to me, though the numbers probably will need adjustment or you'll have to stop around #4 (assuming similar budget to last year's) which means no one will get sponsored on the basis of apps/karma/posts metrics.

Last edited by lma; 2009-07-28 at 23:13. Reason: typo

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
...the maemo.org gang-of-four will expense Nokia directly...
Please don't forget Reggie.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Please don't forget Reggie.
Or sjgadsby.

Tim

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi,
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
> Anyone speaking in a "proper" session
In reality, a speaker can or cannot afford to travel to Amsterdam, no matter whether is to talk 5 minutes one time, two times, half an hour or two hours.

<snip>

In practice: the content committee needs to look carefully what lightning talks get approved, specially when they come from someone "unknown" in the community or difficult to evaluate based on e.g. other presentations elsewhere.
I kind of disagree. Lightning talks are a great way to broaden the content we get exposed to, not all of them are good, and that's kind of OK. Sure, mail the person back to ask a little more about the content and their motivations, perhaps point them to a site on giving a good lightning talk, maybe we could do "America's got talent" lightning talks where people can get buzzed off the stage?, but keep the lightning talks open.

I don't think that "giving a lightning talk" should mean automatic sponsorship. I don't think "giving a presentation" should mean automatic sponsorship either. Someone might well want to travel from Wellington to be with the maemo.org people for the Summit, and have some interesting things to say in a presentation, but is his presence worth the $3000 it will take to get him there, when we could bring 10 people in Europe to Amsterdam for the same cost?

The only way to handle sponsorship requests is subjectively, and there's no way to put an objective filter on it to fix that - sorry to disagree with you Jaffa.

Dave.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The proposals sound very reasonable, and I'm glad to see this sort of discussion in the open. Thank you Quim and Jaffa especially for facilitating.

/me gets to work on becoming a top 10 blogger...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-07-29 at 19:19.

Okay... after mulling this over for a while I have decided to swallow my pride and submit myself for sponsorship. Heck, I'll even put together a short presentation called "Community Engagement and Effective Communication". Alright, where do I sign...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Someone might well want to travel from Wellington to be with the maemo.org people for the Summit, and have some interesting things to say in a presentation, but is his presence worth the $3000 it will take to get him there, when we could bring 10 people in Europe to Amsterdam for the same cost?

The only way to handle sponsorship requests is subjectively, and there's no way to put an objective filter on it to fix that - sorry to disagree with you Jaffa.
I don't have a problem with disagreement[1], don't worry :-)

To clarify, with your subjective-criteria-only, it'd have to be something damned impressive to get sponsorship from that far away, even if the content committee considered it good enough to share. So "just" good stuff from Wellington will have to be presented by someone rich (or not presented at all this year, which is probably also valid)? :-/

Cheers,

Andrew

[1] Although you're wrong, and I hate you! And I'm going into the garden to eat some worms...

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Hm, that probably needs some clarification I think. Is there a separate budget for Nokia employees and maemo.org *masters? I would expect so, but I see that some have requested sponsorship and some haven't so there may be some internal confusion about this as well.
This is what I've been told - I will need to get approval for travel and accommodation of course.

As a side point, I've been looking for accommodation in Amsterdam for a couple of days mid-week, and hotels there are very expensive. We probably need to block book hotel space in cheapish hotels straight away, if we can.

Dave.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Hey Quim, check your Nokia spam box-- I might be in it!

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
OK, let's do it subjectively using the list I provided as a basis for prioritisation - but it won't be the be-all-and-end-all.

Dave: I know you've got a lot on your plate, so suggest that it's something the council does as a group; although we'll liaise with the content committee where appropriate.

How does that sound to everyone?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
summit