Active Topics

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
When I talk about "console" I mean the whole works; functionality that does not need any UI to be useful;
Just some examples;
  • automatically immediately uploading any pictures I take to my gallery online
  • recording all my calls
  • backing the device up each night
  • setting device mode based on the location I am currently
  • tracking my location and updating that to my private online route map
So you are talking about "background services". And how are these unique to Jolla/Sailfish? I had these functionality years ago on non-Sailfish device.

The issue I see for you is that other OSes use an API unfamiliar to you that you would have to learn and adapt to.
I must admit this is the exact thing that drawn me to Maemo - a familiar API. But API and promises and more promises do not make my daily life easier... We had a lot of fun together though and we'll always have Paris...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Bavaria Germany
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
..i miss ..., telegram, and some ....app.
Already tried Jollagram from openrepos warehouse?

There is no such thing than Android OS.

There is AOSP which is nowadays like MER but with an UI and some few outdated core apps. Then there is Google Play Services + Google Apps which is almost like an OS. Whith just AOSP you are doomed. Or why do you think Cyanogen Inc tries to partner with Microsoft?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:

BTW you still did not define the "modern apps" I asked about.

Examples from my usage pattern is Chess.com app, RSA SecurID for the company vpn and HERE maps for offline navigation. Do you consider these valid needs for a smartphone user?

PS. Sometimes hanging out in this site makes me feel like using android apps is commiting a crime.. :P

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
There is no such thing than Android OS.

There is AOSP which is nowadays like MER but with an UI and some few outdated core apps. Then there is Google Play Services + Google Apps which is almost like an OS. Whith just AOSP you are doomed. Or why do you think Cyanogen Inc tries to partner with Microsoft?
Exactly, if aosp is like mer but with gui, than jolla is like Google but less(missing gui), so to use 100% Foss part of jolla on your phone you'll need to write huge part of OS (UI), while with AOSP you can use it on phone outdated or not.
Basically Google at first used opensource so others can help them promote and develop mobile OS, but after getting to top, they locked out most important parts, while Jolla mostly did it on start only promising open sourcing parts and making it right what others companies don't, but after all they go same way

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
IMHO the Kindle Fires are the best Android tablets around, because they have a better UI (I find Lollipop terrible to use and look at) and come without the Google Play Services spyware, yet there is an app store with many good apps, all without Google Play Services.
And unlike Google Play, apps purchased in the Amazon store will run on any Android or Jolla Alien Dalvik device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I said:

You said:

So how come I get the feeling you do not understand what I am saying??

Are you telling me that the functionality I describe is something that "does not ease my everyday life" ??
Social apps like Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Skype, whatsapp, linkedin, instagram and so on, depends on people choice.
Other more useful services like local bus schedule, bank app, phone company app, bitcoin wallets, eBay, paypal and so on (some of them may have limited api and apps developed by 3rd party you'll never know if they steal your data)
Music services, meetup app, voip clients, proper tor apps with ui in few clicks, private browsing, smart home applications.
Games, yeah sometimes people play games

And ffs do not tell me YOU don't use any of this, as no one cares about you, phone is made for masses and not dozen who cares about compiling on phone only. As much as I don't like java or android, you can say it "android did it already" almost about any apps, services(like Simpsons and TV shows

And last thing, I'll remind you that official Qt app for conference last year(or was it already this one) was written in Qt for android and that's the version you ended up getting in jolla store. Android version of Qt app on phone officially using Qt as main framework. What else can prove that there are almost no devs, apps and even interest in jolla

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Just my two cents:

As much as I like SFOS, I admit that clearly when/if they become as powerful as Google, they may/probably lose what I currently appreciate: transparency, relatively closed relationship with customers, a nice community, agility to adapt and evolve...etc...

BUT, I am living in the current time. What I see and what is really bad is when a company like Google is having close to a monopoly and can dictate whatever they like.
What can prevent a company from acting bad? Some regulation but more importantly, more competition.

I do like SFOS but I also much appreciate others that support other system (apart from the apple) because we need more alternative systems.

I think the current attack from the European Commission against Google is peanuts if there is no viable alternative.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I think the current attack from the European Commission against Google is peanuts if there is no viable alternative.
As much as I am not fond of Canonical, Ubuntu Touch is closing on getting as usable as Sailfish.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Just my two cents:

As much as I like SFOS, I admit that clearly when/if they become as powerful as Google, they may/probably lose what I currently appreciate: transparency, relatively closed relationship with customers, a nice community, agility to adapt and evolve...etc...

BUT, I am living in the current time. What I see and what is really bad is when a company like Google is having close to a monopoly and can dictate whatever they like.
What can prevent a company from acting bad? Some regulation but more importantly, more competition.

I do like SFOS but I also much appreciate others that support other system (apart from the apple) because we need more alternative systems.

Can you point out what do you mean by transperency and openness they have now exactly?
I hear this words a lot, from them and now from fans, but mostly always nothing stands behind. Most time they do not provide information or provide half side of it. There is no road map and some questions like when they'll opensource parts they promised to on launch, or where we stay on paid store that was promised. If you pay attention those questions are still unanswered and though they are top voted even on TJC. They do decide what question to answer and how, this is simple PR move. Android devs can be found on reddit, today even windows engages with devs and community, it's popular to promote to few people, who will be making cult for you and fight for you, telling how their platform is awesome and transparent with no actual base for that
Jolla is already acting like Google, so if they get big like Google they'll worse (simple logic)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post: