Notices

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by jfk View Post
Yeah, my experiments have also shown that the lighting can be "too" good. The detection doesn't work that well when the light comes from behind you or from the side so that your face is not evenly illuminated.
or if something is in the background.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hamburg, Germany
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
or if something is in the background.
I can't confirm that. For me, it also works with cluttered backgrounds. The lighting conditions are more important (which is no surprise with that front camera quality ).

If you want to you can send me some screenshots of situations where it doesn't work for you so I can get a clearer picture of the problems.

Last edited by jfk; 2010-03-02 at 08:54.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Lancaster
Surprisingly responsive. Works great. Took the survey .

I am trying to draw over a video stream and came across your application. How did you implement the drawing over a video stream? I guess your application is a GTK+ app. Do you have any suggestions on how to do it in QT? Thread on this topic.

Thanks for help.

Cheers,
Klen

Last edited by klen; 2010-03-03 at 12:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to klen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by klen View Post
Surprisingly responsive. Works great. Took the survey .

I am trying to draw over a video stream and came across your application. How did you implement the drawing over a video stream? I guess your application is a GTK+ app. Do you have any suggestions on how to do it in QT? Thread on this topic.

Thanks for help.

Cheers,
Klen
I don't use GTK. I use SDL and copy the image data from the camera manually to the screen. Overlays don't seem to work as they cause flickering.

Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to jfk For This Useful Post:
Is it possibe to find a source code of your project or get any snippets of the part of code where you use SDL to capture an image and draw it to the screen?

I am working on a QT camera tutorial. I plan to capture the image with SDL library and then draw the image on a QWidget.

Thanks for your help.
Klen

Is it possibe to find a source code of your project or get any snippets of the part of code where you use SDL to capture an image and draw it to the screen?

I am working on a QT camera tutorial. I plan to capture the image with SDL library and then draw the image on a QWidget.

Thanks for your help.
Klen
Currently, there is no source code available.

Sorry, if I confused you. I use SDL only to draw to the screen. I use V4L2 for getting camera images. Alternatively, you can use GStreamer which is a little more user-friendly.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
cool game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Thanks for clarifying this for me. No worries about the source code. I understand it perfectly. Probably they will become accessible after you finish your phd .

Just one final thing I want to ask you. What was the main reason for you to use SDL instead of QT libraries?

Is it much easier to process and draw images in SDL compared to QT libraries?

Are they much faster than QT or any other libraries?

Would you use them again if you started from scratch?

Thanks again,
Klen

Thanks for clarifying this for me. No worries about the source code. I understand it perfectly. Probably they will become accessible after you finish your phd .
Whoops, it's actually only a Diplom.

Just one final thing I want to ask you. What was the main reason for you to use SDL instead of QT libraries?

Is it much easier to process and draw images in SDL compared to QT libraries?

Are they much faster than QT or any other libraries?

Would you use them again if you started from scratch?

Thanks again,
Klen
I'm using SDL because it's made for games, works well and I already knew it. Honestly, I don't really know anything about QT. But, as it is a GUI toolkit it's probably not that well suited for games where you basically just need fast and easy drawing of images.

So, I can't compare SDL and QT because I don't know QT and because they are meant for two completely different things. I'd use SDL again because it works the way I need it to.

The Following User Says Thank You to jfk For This Useful Post:
Thx again and good luck with your diploma .

Cheers,
Klen

The Following User Says Thank You to klen For This Useful Post: