Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
If that's even remotely accurate, it's another good argument for encouraging open source development.
Nokia has all the information they need. Just by reading the comments of the ovi users, they should be aware of the problem. Peter where are you?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
This is outrageous.

From the "OVI STORE PUBLISHER REGISTRATION AND DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT" on publish.ovi.com:

"By accepting this Agreement, You certify that You are of the legal age of majority in the jurisdiction in which You reside, and You represent and warrant that You are legally permitted to participate in the Program.

If You are agreeing to be bound by this Agreement on behalf of Your employer or other entity, You represent and warrant that You have full legal authority to bind Your employer or such entity to this Agreement."

no mention whatsoever of incorporation as requirement.

also, NOWHERE is there mention of VAT registration as a requirement.

"Any VAT, sales tax, service tax, business tax, turnover tax, IVA, ISS or any similar tax levied on You in the country where You are registered for tax purposes is solely Your responsibility."

more and more i get the feeling that OVI is really really flawed on so many levels, that it's very hard to imagine it being a success any time soon... rather the opposite.
Attached Files
File Type: txt publish_ovi_com_terms1.txt (14.7 KB, 149 views)
File Type: txt publish_ovi_com_terms2.txt (18.8 KB, 92 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by drm View Post
Nokia has all the information they need. Just by reading the comments of the ovi users, they should be aware of the problem. Peter where are you?
First up, let me say, I fully agree. Something does need sorting out here, as I've said earlier on.

Second - lord almighty.

Peter is a person, that he is also an employee of Nokia is a tangent to this which you shouldn't hold first and foremost in your mind - but while we're on that topic, he is in the marketing department for Maemo. I hardly think that he's going to be the best qualified to make a statement on this.

What I'm trying to say is - the issue is out in the open, hopefully one of the employees (Quim, Peter or other) brings this to the attention of the Ovi people, and the ball will start rolling.

Specifically naming names all the time (especially in areas of which people probably aren't the best qualified) is hardly going to make them feel more encouraged to post here, so that they get jumped on by every single poster, no?

Luckily, here in the US it only costs a couple hundred bucks (and somewhere between $0 and $150 a year in most states) to form an LLC.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
What I'm *hoping* can happen is that if there remains a requirement for an official business entity, developers could form an association that fits the requirement-- yet each operate completely independently, with the association managing overhead. Keep in mind there would still be costs involved, but *perhaps* this sort of approach can spread them out farther and thinner.
Costs are obvious: we understand that Nokia actually needs to put people to work to do the validation and all the checking.
But a fair price that a single developer can afford.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
I've just had a quick scan of the Ovi Publishers agreement. I am far from a lawyer, but it seems very generic to me.

I was specifically looking for any clause that would prevent a consortium. I couldn't find one, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. There was one clause that might cause problems:
4.8. Your Support For Your Content

You will be solely responsible for support and maintenance of Your Content and to
address any complaints about Your Content. You agree to provide customer support
by email delivered to the email address You provided during registration to the
Program, or as updated by You after registration. You agree to respond to customer
related issues pertaining to Your Content, sent to Your email address, within five
(5) business days. You further agree to upload or provide a link to any support
materials for Your Content when submitting Your Content for consideration by Nokia.
I can imagine providing support could be worked around somehow, but I could see Nokia terminating the agreement under that clause if they sense something is afoot.

The Following User Says Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
Originally Posted by detronizator View Post
Costs are obvious: we understand that Nokia actually needs to put people to work to do the validation and all the checking.
But a fair price that a single developer can afford.
How about this? Instead of the sign up fee and 70% revenue, have an option for a smaller sign up free and a larger cut going to Nokia?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
While only generally applicable in the U.S (AFAIK)....forming an S-Corp or LLC as an individual is pretty easy and cheap. If you are doing a lot of independent contracting and such, it's a good idea anyway to protect yourself (and your personal assets) from liability should a business relationship turn sour and litigious.
There are registrars in places like Nevada that will form a US corporation for anyone (even if they do not live there). US corporations can do business world wide. The cost for this is low -- maybe less than $100.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by wierdo View Post
Luckily, here in the US it only costs a couple hundred bucks (and somewhere between $0 and $150 a year in most states) to form an LLC.
Perhaps, but the administrative burden associated with maintaining a LLC - separate books, licensing and compliance filings (depending on the state) , and taxes can be a real pain in the a**.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by xmob View Post
How about this? Instead of the sign up fee and 70% revenue, have an option for a smaller sign up free and a larger cut going to Nokia?
Yes if the app you submit is crap and doesn't sell. Because if it does you just have shot yourself in the foot