Active Topics

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
As has been said.. Maemo 3 <> Maemo 4 <> Maemo 5. Completely different operating systems. Granted... they are quite a bit more similar than Windows 3.1 and Windows 7 - but it just goes to show that just because something shares a similar name does *not* make it the same thing.
Well, if that is true, then they can't use the "step 4 of 5" defense either, can they? If they are *completely* different operating systems / devices.

Or did they just go... 1,2,3... oh snap, we totally screwed this up, let's rebuild from the ground up. Then the next step wouldn't actually be 4, but a new kind of 1, which is what it looks like with all its shortcomings (exchange, maps, battery life, rebooting, etc...).

Well, I would be lying if I said I wasn't gradually losing faith. My enthusiasm was about 11 on a scale from 1-10 before the N900 came out. Not it's slowly sinking and is maybe 8 or 9 right now. A GOOD firmware upgrade could easily throw it back to 11.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate here... Maemo OS 2005, OS 2006, OS 2007, OS 2008, Diablo (4.1) and Fremantle 5.0... versus 1.0, 1.1, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0 and 2.1. Even though Maemo has been around for longer, Android has made some serious strides with more internal and external devs on its project and is starting to get more right than wrong.

Maemo has less devs in total and still gets some things wrong despite being around longer. Has less software... despite being around longer. Thankfully... has no fart apps though... so that's a good thing.

So why doesn't it have more of a share despite being around longer? Why isn't the mainstream software updated as much if Maemo has been around for longer? And above all, why aren't more apps present despite being around longer? And ultimately... why isn't OVI ready... despite being around longer?

Remember, I'm playing devil's advocate...
While there are valid concerns (e.g. lack of commercial support) it doesn't help that with each Maemo update, all the developmental work is pretty much nuked back to ground zero.

It reminds me of Final Fantasy X. When a city would become advanced enough, Sin (I think that was its name) would come around and blast it back to the stone age. That's essentially what happens with each update (at least that's how I see it). If it weren't for that we would have a huge library of applications stretching from the 770 days up to now. And there are things simply from the Nokia side that should've been improved (no disagreement there). It's shocking how bad Ovi Maps is, like I said before in another post, I think even the default Maps application in Chinook/Diablo is better than Ovi Maps.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-05 at 20:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
"Q The android fanbois will be dazzled by the same stuff the iPhone folks are impressed by.

You own a really cool phone which does lots of cool stuff. Useful stuff. Not just Hello Kitty apps

If you want to compare the N900 to the iPhone, you're right. But don't kid yourself about Android. There is an SSH app and you can configure a VPN. You can get root and install Debian. If Nokia and its fanbois don't take Android seriously, Maemo will be forgotten."

seriously i dont get it what is the resentment for.

you can use an iphone for productive stuff, it was a great business phone for me- i have had it for 18 months and only installed one game on it. great calender , great email, great txt/phone, great productive apps.- and yes you can open it up and do anything on it with the jailbreak.

just because the iphone has 80'000 games and fart apps doesnt mean its a bad phone, its still the best out there in many respects.

also do you guys actually belive nokia and google would have upped there games so much if it wasnt for apples iphone. it deserves respect if it wasnt for the iphone there would be no android or maemo 5(on a phone at least) as we know it..

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Case in point for bashers: Mymenu.

When I got the N900, the main menu for running apps was a big field of squares in no particular order, no folders, nothing!

So along comes some dude who doesn't know that bash isn't on all N900s and has to be told about busybox. In about one day, he makes that big field of boxes into an adequate collection of folders. Not perfect, but about 300% better than what Nokia did.

Why is this kind of heroism from random strangers necessary? Where was Nokia when they made the field of boxes rather than an adequate place to put programs?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
The dollar comparison is apple to mangoes as Nokia is spending research dollars on hardware in addition to at least 3 operating systems, of which at least one has multiple versions.
How much of Google's R&D is devoted to Android? Probably a little less than they spend on advertising/web searches (and caching)/Google Checkout/etc. Also, Google is supporting a class-leading browser and another desktop os (Chrome OS).

Facts conveniently ignored?

The Following User Says Thank You to twoboxen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
select * from user where user.name = twoboxen

called mom at 14.00
got email from his secret girlfriend at 14.02
ditched the call from the wife at 14.07
located at naughty girls strip club at 15.17
synced pic naughty_blondie.jpg to picasa
(btw, no offense dude... just trying to make my point here)

you get the idea...

no thank you...

i bet it is a great phone and blah blah blah... but, i am getting more worried and worried with google knowing everything about everyone.

i thought once in developing for android but once i saw how google is doing things lately it kinda scares me... i dont want to be part of bringing android into live (even though is very lively already)

i believe nokia can fight equal with google... and thats where i am investing my time.
I agree with you, this is also one on my concerns too, which is why I was to remove google search from the microb browser's url(it's integrated) I think what scares me the most is that google is being allowed to collect all this info they have have violated every privacy law in the land by now but noone cares....

For that reason alone I'll never buy a google phone

The Following User Says Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
...If Nokia and its fanbois don't take Android seriously, Maemo will be forgotten.
I was at a KFC the other day, and while waiting in line a 60+ year-old grandmother got into an iPhone "shop talk" discussion with a 12 year-old girl, about their iPhones. I don't think the 900 is geared toward that market, which unfortunately is the most profitable one.

The more user-friendly and well integrated into everyday lives a device will be, will dictate its financial sucess, but at what cost to the "power user". I think Google/Android is onto something, especially with voice search with "maps". Avg. "mass market" user goes crazy for that stuff.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The underlying Operating is more of a Desktop than it is a mobile phone. Desktop software runs on the N900.. not just "phone"-ized software written by random people.

It is easier to port desktop software to the N900 than any other device on the market. This makes it more of a mobile desktop than a phone. Now, the fact that said desktop software is *not* available yet goes to the youngness of it. In Maemo 4 we had Gnumeric, Abiword, etc all ported. Which means I am using *exactly* the same software on my desk at home, as on my new "phone". This puts the N900 into a category of it's own.

I'm not using a run down version, not using some remake of it, not using someone else's version to accomplish something similar... it's the *exact* same software just repackaged for Maemo. This is a huge plus for me.

SSH is OpenSSH.. it IS OpenSSH.. it's not a hack - not a remake - not a Putty or ConnectBot or whatever Apple's version of "SSH" is.. it IS openssh.

I know the switches, I know how it works, it doesn't change from my Desktop Ubuntu to my N900. X forward is probably possible, if not done already, with the N900.. which means I could launch actual desktop apps from my desktop TO my N900. This is not "controlling" my desktop like an RDP or VNC.

Things that interest me are obviously not what interest "normal" people.. but N900 has the capability of adapting to someone like me - the iPhone (even jailbreaked) and the Android (rooted) still do not offer the flexibility and seamless move from my Desktop to a Phone that the N900 does.

Also, if I don't like the built-in browser.. I can get real firefox to run.. complete with all the plugins/addons that I would normally use on my desktop. It might be slower - but for those odd websites that just refuse to format right on mobile browsers - it's an option.

All this is just my opinion, of course - I have no idea what "Nokia's" official stance on it is.. I've seen it sold as a "phone" - which definitely causes confusion with some buyers on why a lot of the "phone" features are either missing or are half-asked. On Newegg I think they just "recently" changed to title to phone AND mobile computer.. where before it was just Unlocked Phone.

Personally... android and the iphone don't compare because when and if I run into something that I cannot do on the iPhone or the N1 - I am stuck. There is nothing I can do. On the N900.. I have options.. multitudes of them. All the way up to and including booting a completely different OS if I want/need.
Good points, but they also point out the big difference between the N900 and Android devices. N900 is more for devs and tech types to get the most out of the device. Android is simple as installing the app and using it. More of a mass OS and device, so like comparing apples and oranges.

I love my N900 as a netbook and media player, but prefer my G1 as a smartphone. If Nexus had a keyboard, I would have bought it. Still, nothing compares to my N900 for what I use it for.

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
If you want to compare the N900 to the iPhone, you're right. But don't kid yourself about Android. There is an SSH app and you can configure a VPN. You can get root and install Debian. If Nokia and its fanbois don't take Android seriously, Maemo will be forgotten.
My only problem with Android is the complete lack of standardization across hardware. Google need to pull their finger out and start enforcing some consistency or its going to be a market place full of apps that only run on one phone. Seriously - when a phone maker can just arbitrarily decide to remove a standard intent (basically an API method) then there is something very wrong.

Now that being said - Google did provide a very well documented API and a bunch of examples, things I would give my eye teeth for when coding for maemo' and please don't tell me they are there if I search - having to go to 5 different sites and 5 different logins to find even basic examples/walkthroughs/docs is beyond ridiculous. If nothing else Nokia need to organize that aspect of the platform
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Last edited by Bratag; 2010-01-05 at 20:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
As for those who don't want to use Android, or Google products because of privacy reasons. Chances are unless you mask your activity on the web + use addons that intefere with Google's cookie tracking (and all there other stuff). It doesn't matter if you use their device or not.

In fact Google doesn't care about Nexus, Chrome, etc.. their real objective is information. Whether your on Symbian, Maemo, iPhone, etc.. they want your information. They just introduce these projects to kick their competitors into moving faster.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...