Active Topics

It would be good if we had somewhere safe and neutral to deposit the money for the competition.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
good news from Quim!
He replied me to my email, here it is again, if you've missed it:

Hi Quim!

Surely you are already aware of the first Coding Competition for maemo.
If not, here is the link again:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53112

We're collecting some money to reward the developers.
Do you think it would be possible for Nokia to donate something, too?
It's not needed a big thing, just something that could be interesting for developers.
Also this would show, that Nokia DOES care about the community, since some members are a little bit frustrated because they think PR 1.2 is coming late.

Thanks you so much for your support!

Cosimo
Here is his answer:

Cool initiative!

What about this: the winner of each category will be invited to the
MeeGo Conference with travel and accommodation covered. If someone can't
make it then we can offer an N900 in exchange.

Quim Gil
open source advocate
MeeGo Devices @ Nokia

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Wow awesome, good work zehjotkah! And biiiig thanks to Quim and Nokia

That's a heck of a prize! A trip to Dublin, Ireland to the MeeGo Conference - flights and accom covered! Wait.. he's not joking us right? lol Is that confirmation enough that I can add it to the first post?

I pm'd a mod and all round good egg yesterday to ask if he'd take care of the bounty for us, he's having a think about it and will let me know. if not, zehjotkah you're still happy to be treasurer right? I also have a paypal account if anyone prefers. And other suggestions still welcome ofcourse.

Speaking of bounty, with new star prize from Nokia we can afford to split it up a bit. How about we split the bounty up 50% (1st prize), 30% (2nd prize), 20% (3rd prize)? Let me know if there's any objections, if not I'll add it to the first post.

Im thinking of keeping the 3 lazor cut stands from my bounty as neat little prizes specifically for beginners. In addition to being entered in the main comp like everyone else, the best 3 beginner projects voted by the community will get one,

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-21 at 10:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Oh by the way, today is the first day! *trumpet blows*

Basically every project big or small completed and {Announced] between now and June 21st is a possible entrant, please reply and keep us informed so we can confirm you're entered. If you notice someone who has [Anounced] their project but hasn't entered please remind them of the comp

Poor helix, sounds like a version 2 of your DreamMote project might be on the cards Don't forget it's a coding contest, so it doesnt necessarily have to be a while new project. Signifigant improvements to an existing project still count too, enter it and it'll be judged by the community against everything else

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-21 at 10:05.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
So what s the rules ?

I ll participate with KhtEditor a rewrited Python Source Code editor made with PyQt

The Following User Says Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
yes, I'm still available to be the treasurer...

and yes, that can be counted as confirmation from nokia as far as I see it.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-05-21 at 10:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leeds, United Kingdom
Count me in, I have a couple of apps I am developing at the moment. just the thing to push me ;-)

BTW can we submit more than one app or are we limited to one?

zehjotkah can I suggest you create a ChipIn account and be the treasurer through it.

http://www.chipin.com/overview

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leeds, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
is anyone decent at coding but lacking ideas willing to take requests?

the things i want to see but lack the knowledge and patience to implement really fry my brain! anyway...

idea for what i THINK would be an easy to make; yet suitably sci-fi quasi-futuristic for competition. you've probably seen something similair in a film or two but i dont think it has been done for real yet. - a customisable news/weather alarm clock, you wake up in the morning to the sound of "good morning john/dave/steve/sandra, the weather today will be sunny/cloudy/wet with highs of 32 and lows of 15, the headlines are nokia takes over world, steve jobs commits suicide, first colony on mars goes ahead, pr1.2 released." perhaps a joke or saying of the day, horoscope, yadda yadda yadda...

really its just a speech synthesiser that retrieves data from websites, can check half an hour before alarm is set to go off, play alarm music for 10 seconds before news, then resume music afterwards.

i wish i had the know how to patch this together, but it would be really nice to see someone implement it.
Just to inform you that I am working on a fully functional alarm clock application at the moment. You have some interesting ideas and if your ok I would like to incorporate some of them into the app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thundercat600 For This Useful Post:
Great! Sounds like some good project ideas already

IMO we're keeping rules for entries fairly simple, it needs to be an application that is functionally complete, runs safely and it should run easily on the n900. Ofcourse we're an open source community, though personally Im fine with closed source can still be entered - imo the community can determine if they want to judge on that or not. The spirit of the contest is to get fresh new development flowing, whether on new or to existing projects, during the competition dates (May 21st - June 21st) so it's not really for re-announcements of work already completed and available. But, for example, finishing a project, rewriting, or adding new functionality is totally suitable for voting on by the community. Teams are fine, and you can enter as many projects as you like.

If in doubt, enter anyway and the community will decide whether to support your efforts or not

If entrants could add a little something to their entries describing them, something like the following would be great:

Project name:
Project description:
Developer(s) Also add if you are a beginner or experienced
Open source or not:
General description of the changes/work you've completed on it, including a bit about the new coding during the comp timeframe: This is so people who are not familiar with the project can understand what you've done, and this is a good place to make your "pitch" for our support

This is a new comp and still a little bit experimental, but hopefully that all makes sense

Oh, and Im sure it's obvious but prizes are given per winning project so if you have 10 members in your first place winning project's team you might get a lot of great coding done but you may need to work out amongst yourselves who's getting the trip lol

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-21 at 12:21.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post: