Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
any progress?

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Sorry I took my time to write back to you. I had to think about something there, on how to express myself
Of course the following expresses only my views, I cannot speak for others.

For most people doing kernel development this is an addicting hobby, but it's not our day job, it's not the thing we get paid for.
Thus, I look at parts which intrest me for personal reasons, things I can do and tweak to get the device perform the way I want and need it to behave. From time to time I hit some wall that proves to be too difficult to scale for me, at least at that moment. Or it might be I find something more intresting to hack at. At that time, I might well stop working at the current project and start doing something else.

Sometimes, I manage to do something even other people find useful, and that is wonderful. It makes me feel good to see people using my works, and it gives me good karma.
What I make and develop, are freely available to others to use, enjoy, extend and further develop under GPL.

If I accepted financial compensation/benefits from the work I am doing, it could lessen its meaning as a hobby and increase its meaning as work. Thus I would be obliged to work towards the goals I was rewarded for, and it would greatly reduce the freedom I like in my development.

Rather than financial support, I would like to see you too take part in development, learning the skills to create beautiful working software
This community is community of developers, we welcome people willing to learn our arts and are happy to share our learnings.
hey
juiceme I'm currently a student and i took through It course at school but we don't take linux coding till next year so far we did html as far as it comes to coding lol i only got my n9 2 month ago but and learning your art is something I'm willing to put my time into could you point me in the write direction any idea on how or where to start!?!

Last edited by EgyptRocks265; 2013-05-11 at 06:41.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by EgyptRocks265 View Post
hey
juiceme I'm currently a student and i took through It course at school but we don't take linux coding till next year so far we did html as far as it comes to coding lol i only got my n9 2 month ago but and learning your art is something I'm willing to put my time into could you point me in the write direction any idea on how or where to start!?!
Join the talk in IRC channel: #mer and #nemomobile @irc.freenode.net there are many great people who'll be happy to help you out

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Join the talk in IRC channel: #mer and #nemomobile @irc.freenode.net there are many great people who'll be happy to help you out
thank you so much i will

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
hey
If you really are serious about kernel programming then I highly recommend The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and UNIX System Programming Handbook by Michael Kerrisk. At 1500+ pages it will take some dedication to get through it but it does cover just about everything and even if you don't read it all, it still serves as a great reference.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
If you really are serious about kernel programming then I highly recommend The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and UNIX System Programming Handbook by Michael Kerrisk. At 1500+ pages it will take some dedication to get through it but it does cover just about everything and even if you don't read it all, it still serves as a great reference.
thank you i asked my parents and i will buy it soon

hey wicket would the book also give a kick starter is making/developing apps ?

Learn by doing, no other choice !

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
hey wicket would the book also give a kick starter is making/developing apps ?
No, it's purely for systems programming, it assumes you have prior knowledge of C. Given the context of this thread, I thought this is what you were interested in learning.

If you are only interested in making high-level apps for Harmattan then this book is not for you. Your best bet would be to learn a combination of Qt/QML and C++ or Python.

No, it's purely for systems programming, it assumes you have prior knowledge of C. Given the context of this thread, I thought this is what you were interested in learning.

If you are only interested in making high-level apps for Harmattan then this book is not for you. Your best bet would be to learn a combination of Qt/QML and C++ or Python.
well i got the book anyway so i think i'll check it later once i've learned more
where do you suggest is a good place to start learning QT/QML and C++
i scratched the surface of python last year it's simple