Active Topics

Yeah, w00t commented, that initially LTE is not enabled in software, however hardware supports it. So what we need is full hardware specs really.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
UMTS: 900/2100 MHz

Now you can do your math about what will work in the US.
I don't find any info about LTE, though, and as I don't have an LTE contract, cannot test it either.
For T-Mobile this looks bad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobi...spectrum_chart

They are moving 3G UMTS/HSPA+ from 1700 MHz to 1900 MHz, but it doesn't look like they are finished with this. Anyway, 2100 MHz is missing the point for UMTS.

And, T-Mobile's LTE will live on 1700 MHz. If this is the final spec, I'll have to skip this device, since T-Mobile is the only sane provider with decent coverage here (unless LTE will be supported on the proper frequency).

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-11-28 at 21:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
UMTS: 900/2100 MHz

Now you can do your math about what will work in the US.
I don't find any info about LTE, though, and as I don't have an LTE contract, cannot test it either.
Excellent! Vodafone AU is good to go :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyjumper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
For T-Mobile this looks bad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobi...spectrum_chart

They are moving 3G UMTS/HSPA+ from 1700 MHz to 1900 MHz, but it doesn't look like they are finished with this. Anyway, 2100 MHz is missing the point for UMTS.

And, T-Mobile's LTE will live on 1700 MHz. If this is the final spec, I'll have to skip this device, since T-Mobile is the only sane provider with decent coverage here (unless LTE will be supported on the proper frequency).
Seconded. This is immensely disappointing to me. If I can't use LTE or even 3G reliably, I'll have to skip out on this device. Hopefully they'll release a second batch with a different radio for a more global market, but that's doubtful...

The Following User Says Thank You to Sazpaimon For This Useful Post:
Producing another version with a different modem would be the only option then. It shouldn't be impossible, but probably won't happen right away.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
According to dmesg SoC is 8930AA, and according to Wikipedia that's the same as HTC First or HTC One Mini. Update your calculations

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
If these SoCs don't have modem variations, then the specs can look like this:

* GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
* 3G-HSPA+ (850/900/1900/2100 MHz)
* 4G-LTE (700/1700/2100 MHz)

However, I suspect they can have variations of the modem within the same SoC. Only newest Qualcomms support really the full spectrum of relevant frequencies. Older ones are segmented.

If the list above is OK, then it would work with T-Mobile, in areas where they bumped UMTS/HSPA+ to 1900 MHz, and will work with T-Mobile LTE when the OS will enable 4G.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-11-29 at 03:18.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Producing another version with a different modem would be the only option then. It shouldn't be impossible, but probably won't happen right away.
Well, the box label shows "EU" model on it, so there is still hope for models for other regions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xanderx View Post
No, jPhone cannot be used, not even imported into US. You know why? I tell you why. The moment it hits the US soil, Jolla will be sued by Apple for patent infringement in speaker placement. So, that's all, folks.
I'm not a lawyer, but my basic knowledge of international law tells me that what you say isn't possible since Jolla isn't represented in the US. Yes - they can try to sue in Europe, but good luck with that. The EU is a bit more sensible when it comes to patent infringement and all that in comparison to the US. Apple was already denied attempts to sue Samsung in Europe, at least once. Hell, the same happened to Nokia, and they are successfully pursuing lawsuits in the US!

In short, you can always import the phone into the US, and there will be nothing that Apple can do legally to stop you from using it.
EDIT: You can always import for personal use, that is, if you attempt to resell it they may come after you ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
In short, you can always import the phone into the US, and there will be nothing that Apple can do legally to stop you from using it.
Err.... there is FCC.
Without FCC declaration of conformity a device generating RF emission cannot be used in US territory.
And considering that we are talking about a mobile phone, it is not exactly practical try to hide from it

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post: