Nokia lost indeed a lot of its glory. Elops "burning plattform"-statement just prepared their "ecosystem" (meaning partners, shareholders) to change to Windows Phone. The problem I see is, that WP is not a good system, the problems I see is a) that Microsoft has no clue what they are doing (I predict W8 to fail - to big of a change and since WP8 is linked to W8 it's gonna fail aswell) b) Nokia used to be known for its inventions - now they ended up as a OEM...
The plan be I see is ditching eflop and go back to any *nix based device. MeeGo is a good system, but their are lots of other promising possibllities out their (maybe the two CEO striken companys Nokia and HP get together and well cure eachother). Anyway I just went and bought another N900, it is a great device and imho the only free option right now (yes Android is open source but don't be fooled - it's way too close to google).
For now please stop dooming Nokia and see how it's rolling on... Yes they made some pretty ******* decision, but Nokia is still a name and since handhelds are not their only business, they still got time...

For the sake of the community and iventions like QT let's hope they start build different devices soon. Remember even if the rumors are true and they have to wait 3 years to manufacture new devices: One year already is over and to invent a new decent device (in the way Nokia always did) takes a lot of time - the Purreview 808 just proofed that they are still inventing.

So sit back, enjoy the ride and buy some Nokia stocks 8-)

My two cents,
blck

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Tizen could build the Ecosystem from Asia via LCD,LED, Plasma or from car's or other infomatics system. You cant know forsure that next mobile OS comes form mobile phones.
Anything can happen, but some things are more likely than others.

Palm: Nice devices, **** OS but fast and light. Market share, maybe 1% globally? Key ecosystem: apps, PIM

WM: Same as Palm

Symbian: Same as Palm, but has developed into a rather nice OS, too little too late though. Key ecosystem: Maps, apps, PIM

Android: Key ecosystem: Apps, maps, search, Google analytics, hacking community.

Apple: Key ecosystem: Apps, Music

Baidu: Key ecosystem: Sky storage, sky integration.

RIM: Key ecosystem: Corporate mail, corporate messenger. corporate .... RIP

Maemo: Piggyback on Symbian. Key ecosystem: piggybacking

Tizen: Key ecosystem: ??? web?

WP: Key ecosystem: personal communication ++, failed by poor OS.

WP8: Key ecosystem: Personal communication, tight integration with MS PC/Tablet, maps, PIM, music, movies, apps, sky storage and integration, corporate service ++, integration of games (PC/Xbox)

I hate to admit it, but WP8 may actually be it (from an ecosystem point of view). WP8 tries to include everything. NT is also a capable OS, and the UI is excellent (boring but excellent). Samsung, Nokia, HTC and Huawei making devices. We will see, they have an awful lot to catch up, and it may be too much even for MS.

Samsung, HTC and Huaway produces what? 80-90% of all Android devices. Still they believe in WP8 enough to make several devices each. Nokia has gone all in. They can't all be complete idiots even if Elop is. What I mean is that Elop may be a complete jerk, WP7 may be a complete fail, Maemo could have been so much more etc etc. Still, looking with objective eyes, the potential upside with WP8 is larger than with any other real or perceived ecosystem.

The Asus Nexus 7 has shown two things: 1 Apple and MS will have to work real hard to compete. 2 It will be impossible for Samsung and any other to compete with Asus/Google on those terms making Android tablets. Google may actually have shot themselves in the foot with the Nexus 7. It's the beginning of the end. From now on it is all about price, not technology or features. It will be interesting to see what the Surface brings to the table in the form of real value.

Why bother? Nokia is sure to launch one super cool WP8 PureView, and that is all that's needed, then Nokia is back. In a parallel universe it runs MeeGo. In yet another parallel universe it runs Symbian (hmmm ) or Android.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
I am interested in seeing how the new Firefox OS (BoottoGecko) turns out...would be interesting if Nokia used that as a back up. (doubtful)

WP8 does indeed look like it could be a hit...on paper...it's capable...buuut the question always remains...will anyone buy into it. The majority is so deep into the Android and iOS ecosystems. It's expensive for many to switch now if the advantages of a new platform doesn't surpass or at least equal the loss they incur on themselves, myself included.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing in WP8, and I say that with WP7 as my daily use phone.

What I saw didn't really bring that much to the table. Customization is nice. But it won't sell me. The hardware is better, but even that won't sell me.

Native code though... that is a selling point.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing in WP8, and I say that with WP7 as my daily use phone.

What I saw didn't really bring that much to the table. Customization is nice. But it won't sell me. The hardware is better, but even that won't sell me.

Native code though... that is a selling point.
Tend to agree.
The key is that, for the average end user, what's under the hood is irrelevent.
Certainly native code provides benefits for those who do more than make/take calls, send emails, tweets and play games, but given the recent stats, even telephony is the least used aspect of modern smartphones.

MS's drive (through Nokia and others) into the mobile market is all about the aspect of the "ecosystem" that is most important to the manufacturers/OS providers and most ignored by end users: revenue through advertising.

Nokia have had an app market and a range of integrated systems through mapping etc, but their capacity to generate revenue through advertising has been limited by the nature of their OS and market design. Nokia mobile OS development has traditionally been focussed on the end user experience.
The likes of WP and android are purely focussed on integration of advertising revenue throughout all aspects of the User experience, be it through apps, web search or data mining by using linked services.

The challenge for Nokia with any "Plan B" will be how they develop a market based on the same business model that they are competing against.

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
There is a lot to like about wp8. wp7 is already incredibly smooth, and building up to wp8, it will only get better. Pureview camera, and the enlarging ecosystem, will help NOKIA regain its stock value.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
There is a lot to like about wp8. wp7 is already incredibly smooth, and building up to wp8, it will only get better. Pureview camera, and the enlarging ecosystem, will help NOKIA regain its stock value.
The fact that you have to purchase a new phone means that they will have to be in the market for a new phone. Nothing will persuade people to buy another Nokia Windows Phone with that hanging over their head - the last version(s) didn't upgrade, won't upgrade.

Lack of upgrade path makes it too much similar to past Nokia exploits. "Buy our next, greatest thing" when greater, better things already exist and will exist.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Its going to hurt NOKIA, no doubt, but what is the alternative? Meltemi and Meego are not competitive, Symbian dinosaur is dead. Beggars cant be choosers. I think that NOKIA is still in better shape than RIM. Way better.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Its going to hurt NOKIA, no doubt, but what is the alternative?
Not WP7? At this rate, the hurt for Nokia needs to stop. It hasn't.

Meltemi and Meego are not competitive, Symbian dinosaur is dead. Beggars cant be choosers. I think that NOKIA is still in better shape than RIM. Way better.
RIM owns QNX. I'd say they actually might have the upper hand as well as a true, in-house Plan B. And they're well known in the enterprise circles as well as have a messenger service that people actually like and use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: