Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Ytr View Post
But if Nokia says: this is the fourth step of a five step plan, why wouldnt you wait 'till the last, final and finished step?
Despite what step they call it, the N900 seems to be the best mobile device you can get at this moment... So why wait for over an year if you need/want that kind of device NOW. You can be a happy user for the whole year and then upgrade if the new device proves to be considerably better...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Hague
I like it as it is now, I can maybe afford it, but multitouch and especially portrait mode (one hand usage) sound really attractive. Maybe it isn't capacitive at all, multitouch resistive screens do already exist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSzO7DS48Bc) About my current device: it is a fridge. But I can live with it, I don't call very much (one time per three months?). That's why I want an internet tablet. And if it is disappointing me (no keyboard etc.) I have two options: buy a N900 much cheaper, or buy another phone that's also good... I know that mobile phones are developing really fast, and that after the N1000? many more technologies will come on the market, but I think you can choose the final stage of a technology than the fourth. After that new concept will come, but that doesn't bother me. The device doesn't get less well if something new comes out. Those new announced features look really good for me.
(sorry if my English is a bit crappy but I'm Dutch)

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Buying any electronic/high-tech devices based primarily on future expectations is incredibly stupid. If you do this all the time, then it IS indeed a sure way to lose a lot of money.

Either you buy the device based on the features available now or you don't buy it.

And if you start worrying about more advanced future models you will be unable to buy anything, because announced or not there will always be a better model.
The way I view it, that just couldn't be more wrong.
In fact, when shopping for something that's literally going part of you for quite some time, I for one am ready to give up some existing features for longer device life. Upgradebility is a major factor with a device with 700 EUR price tag. I don't expect to use the thing for the next 5 years, but I sure would love to.

I suppose the coders at Nokia really just don't know what to do with Maemo 6 yet... Legacy support should imho be a political decision when you start the project, not something you wait and see how things turns out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suurorca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
slha89, for crying out loud, give us a break dude. LOL.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
  • i don't know about technical implementation details of DRM, but couldn't DRM require some sort of hardware support, too? even if it's only a nasty little ROM that's specific to M6-models.
AFAIK, it requires hardware too, if you want a good and hard to crack DRM solution. The software solutions in the market are easy to crack.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
"Everything you buy now will suck in 5 years", a cynical person might say.
Make it < 2 years

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Make it < 2 years
Not my N800 =p
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
In principle many more will join in the step 6 of 5.

This only reflects the curve of Innovators - Early adopters - Early majority etc that JL Martinez NSeries VP was showing in the Summit on Friday morning. http://www.slideshare.net/peterschne...es-and-maemo-6

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Maemo 6 device in 2nd half of 2010. Maybe there are more juicy tidbits in the 55Mb worths of slides....

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/12/02...ore-money.html

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Will your N900 suddenly stop working
For me, a significant feature of the N900 is the exciting, thriving, open development community which comes with it.

When most other developers move on to another device, that aspect of the N900, which to me is one of it's most significant features, will indeed stop.

It'll be a gradual winding down rather than a sudden stop.

The interesting question for someone like me, then, is whether the moving on of collective interest from each device to the next generation will be faster than I can afford to keep up, or not.

They are very expensive devices. Most people who would like to cannot afford to buy a device like this every year, and even every two years is difficult. But on the other hand, because they are so expensive, other people may not move on particularly quickly either, which may cause the rate at which collective interest moves on to match mine or even stay behind it, after all.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post: