Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
I would reiterate what you said Pantera, it was cutting edge for it's time three to four years ago and now it needs to die gracefully. It is too divorced from the leading pack.
I'd take an N95 over an iPhone 4 any day

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I'd take an N95 over an iPhone 4 any day
I think that says more about you than the iphone 4.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Anything that is based on Symbian can only be evolutionary not revolutionary so it will always be behind.

Originally Posted by Backdoor Bandit View Post
I don't know what the hell that means, but...
Watch and weep at the tasters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke3vfhfv35w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oi6E...layer_embedded

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-09-17 at 16:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Except that Android leaves much fewer choices for the device manufacturer to differentiate...
Slippery slope. Too much differentiation and you have fragmentation.

As far as I've understood is that MeeGo enforces API-level compatibility (or otherwise you cannot call your system MeeGo)...
And this doesn't limit choice?

...but doesn't really enforce implementation. Want to use different UX or different positioning system? Go ahead.
Then what's different about SenseUI, TouchWiz, et al on Android than a different UI on top of MeeGo? I don't mind admitting that I might not be digging deep enough - I'm not looking at API level as a programmer, I'm talking about the UI as an user at the moment.

But with that said, the whole idea of openness is a moot point when ultimately the support from vendors, software houses, and hardware manufacturers isn't there. The best ideas are rarely supported.

Mediocre ones - like Microsoft Windows for instance - take the lion share of support. Why? Solve that one and you'll be a hero in my book.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Mediocre ones - like Microsoft Windows for instance - take the lion share of support. Why? Solve that one and you'll be a hero in my book.
Inertia. Windows is a special case in that it's not at the top due to its virtues, but because of network effects and Microsoft's vices.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Watch and weep at the tasters
I wonder if there will be a setting to make those transitions a bit shorter. They probably start to get annoying in day-to-day use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Inertia. Windows is a special case in that it's not at the top due to its virtues, but because of network effects and Microsoft's vices.
I can see inertia... now. But let's go back to the DOS days. DR-DOS, PC-DOS and MS-DOS... IBM had the edge. Windows 2.0 - sucked whereas IBM OS/2 didn't. Microsoft stole their inertia via piracy, imho. They were so pirated, it became widespread.

I think that's a total different discussion.

But I can see your point and how it applies. But inertia can also be a negative or in a negative direction. And unfortunately, in North America, the inertia is a negative for Nokia due to lack of presence. That lack of presence with folks that don't want to take the time to educate themselves (read: the average consumer) will ultimately mean that they will have to work harder in this area or do like they did in Japan... just give up.

That would be the lack of inertia - I hope you don't mind my segue from your original statement by using your word.

To go backwards, Nokia's perception in the US is a mixed bag; more negative than positive as of late.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
So... what sells... in normal circumstances?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
So... what sells... in normal circumstances?
Well, hopefully, a diverse variety of compatible alternatives. You know, things driven by competition but on a fundamental level all compatible.

Sort of like how all OSes support OpenGL, and all graphics cards work via the same APIs, browsers are all different and offer features but work with HTML, Javascript, CSS.

MS has been dominant for so long we seem to forget what competition and diversity look like, and forget that it requires cooperation between entities to make sure that it doesn't go to crap.

But then everyone looks at MS and Apple's lock-in and think "That's what I want. Legions of customers who can't escape me!" with the end result being that end-users get screwed in the long term and progress slows to a crawl in favor of profits.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
And this doesn't limit choice?
It ensures that application developers have a stable set of APIs that they can rely on across devices and manufacturers. But manufacturer can add whatever they want on top of that, as seen in the WeTab MeeGo tablet being able to run also Android applications.

Then what's different about SenseUI, TouchWiz, et al on Android than a different UI on top of MeeGo?
Not much. But based on what I've read of Android 3.0, it seems Google is seeking to limit that type of customization

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post: