Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
its been mentioned 100x now by quim that there is many updates in the works for Maemo5 on N900.
The question is: will they come? Or will developers soon move on after the N900 has been dropped by Nokia? Seriously, ask yourself that question. Will you - as a small professional developer (by that I mean someone who makes a living selling his software) still develop software for a platform which is - in the current form - dead? I am awaiting a final FW by Nokia, and after that that'll be it.

I sincerely hope this will not be the case, but as of yet I haven't seen much which has encouraged me to think otherwise. Ovi Store is still empty (and always has been - despite a few tiny useful apps), the next FW is possibly miles away, and we don't even know anything precise whether the N900 will support the new OS or not:

So even if the N900 gets full version of MeeGo or not it still as a future with Maemo 5 updates, so it as not been dropped by anyone or for anything.
I do no care about MeeGo too much tbh, all I want is a fully functioning phone. Whether that's going to be Maemo or MeeGo, to me it's all the same.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haus3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
Nokia knew a lot of people were paranoid and worried about it, but cnet got the info first????
I would be able to answer you if they would have mentioned a source more precise than "from Nokia".

More real information by the end of this month.

Last edited by qgil; 2010-03-15 at 13:27.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by nath View Post
The same app will run on the n900
It will work, but who knows how - maybe there will be stops, rebooting, etc.

Anyway, thanks for clarification.
I am very angry at this moment, so will not write more messages for some time.

Sure will use my N900 - I payed 600 Euros for it! I will use as much as I can my N900 in case to not buy new Nokia in 3-4 years! Just to be sure that Nokia will not getting a penny/cent more from me in this time.

I don`t know about Nokia`s future .... It`s a shame, big shame.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I'm reading this thread all the time head-shacking...

Let's analize a little bit. What do we have?
A official statement from Nokia, on the official Nokia site, that they will drop every software support for the N900? (they can't drop hardware support for at least two years at least in germany).
No!

On the one hand we have a statement from "Nokia" (Who at Nokia? My grandma? The clueless callcenter, acquired by Nokia?) that maemo on the N900 is not upgradeable (whatever that means) posted by a website not giving any details about their source.
How reliable is that?
On the other hand we have the assurance from the meego team, that meego will run on the N900 (in one way or the other).
We know that official Qt 4.6 support is coming to the N900 sooner as some may think (more infos by the end of the month).
So we know that programs made for any platform using Qt will run on the N900.
The N900 is not less usable if there won't come a official meego build.
And the only thing we don't know yet (more infos by the end of the month) is if Nokia will provide their own version of meego for the N900.
Remember: meego is hosted by the Linux foundation. Not Nokia nor Intel.

BTW.: posted from my beloved N900

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-03-15 at 14:07.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
who the **** wnat meego?? i dont want to have it... at least not on my n900.... i am happy with maemo 5.... and when meego will be released i'll build a brown tower on it...

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

Originally Posted by ~phoenix~ View Post
who the **** wnat meego?? i dont want to have it... at least not on my n900.... i am happy with maemo 5.... and when meego will be released i'll build a brown tower on it...
May I assist in your building of the brown tower? o.o

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I'm reading this thread all the time head-shacking...

Let's analize a little bit. What do we have?
A official statement from Nokia, on the official Nokia site, that they will drop every software support for the N900? (they can't drop hardware support for at least two years at least in germany).
No!

On the one hand we have a statement from "Nokia" (Who at Nokia? My grandma?) that maemo on the N900 is not upgradeable (whatever that means) posted by a website not giving any details about their source.
How reliable is that?
On the other hand we have the assurance from the meego team, that meego will run on the N900 (in one way or the other). We know that official Qt 4.6 support is coming to the N900 sooner as some may think (more infos by the end of the month).
So we know that programs made for any platform using Qt will run on the N900. The N900 is not less usable if there won't come a official meego build.
And the only thing we don't know yet (more infos by the end of the month) is if Nokia will provide their own version of meego for the N900.
Remember: meego is hosted by the Linux foundation. Not Nokia nor Intel.

BTW.: posted from my beloved N900
That clarified a few things for me - thanks for pointing them out! Let's hope for the Best

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I would be able to answer you if they would have mentioned a source more precise than "from Nokia".

More real information by the end of this month.
It better has to be good news. And if not, the news can't come fast enough anyway.

Get over it guys. my N810 is not upgradable to maemo 5. Big whoop, its still an awesome device. And my 770 still has awesome community support. The world moves on.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jabawok For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Haus3r View Post
The question is: will they come? Or will developers soon move on after the N900 has been dropped by Nokia? Seriously, ask yourself that question. Will you - as a small professional developer (by that I mean someone who makes a living selling his software) still develop software for a platform which is - in the current form - dead? I am awaiting a final FW by Nokia, and after that that'll be it.
The question is, what's the platform? QT seems to be the platform, and it is one that is going to be common between Maemo 5 and Meego. So, in that respect, the platform will be supported.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76