Notices

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
Even when the server is turned off, every once in a while the 'SSH' icon appears in the top tray-icon area (right of the clock) very briefly. It usually happens when I (dis)connect from a internet connection, or update my repositories. It even happens when "Stop tracking status when off" is enabled.

Do you have any idea why this might happen?
I found out the proper command to hide the icon from the status area is different from what i used - (None) instead of empty brackets.

May I ask you to
  • download the attached file
  • remove the .txt suffix
  • copy it into /usr/lib/hildon-desktop
  • make it executable
  • restart the status menu from the configuration dialog's menu
  • start and stop the server
and check out if the icon won't appear anymore (i can't securely reproduce the effect you described).
Attached Files
File Type: txt openssh-status-widget.py.txt (11.6 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by rasmarc; 2015-05-12 at 17:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rasmarc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rasmarc View Post
I found out the proper command to hide the icon from the status area is different from what i used - (None) instead of empty brackets.

May I ask you to
and check out if the icon won't appear anymore (i can't securely reproduce the effect you described).
Did what you asked: downloaded and placed python file in correct directory, renamed and chmod +x, restarted status menu, restarted and stopped SSH server.

Now waiting to see if it will still occur... Will report back tomorrow!

PS.: I am still running 1.2-1, not 1.2-2, I don't know if that's of importance?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
Now waiting to see if it will still occur... Will report back tomorrow!

PS.: I am still running 1.2-1, not 1.2-2, I don't know if that's of importance?
Thank you for this. Your version is ok for that, it's in fact 1.2-2 including this change to try hiding the icon properly, except that the about pop up from the config dialog still says 1.2-1.

The Following User Says Thank You to rasmarc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
[*]download the attached file
I am testing this too.

What would be nice, is if the ssh indicator icon displayed yellow when a connection was present, grey/white when server running but no connection.

Very nice contribution this.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Sadly, the app indicator icon still disappears when it should not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
To be sure, you have "Stop tracking status when off" enabled, and after the server has been running a certain time with no users connected, the display switches to off, right?

To increase timeout, you could open /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/openssh-status-widget.py and in line 162
Code:
if self.sshJustOff < 1:
give the condition a higher value. Then restart the status menu.

To be sure, you have "Stop tracking status when off" enabled, and after the server has been running a certain time with no users connected, the display switches to off, right?
All of those are correct.

I will implement what you suggest.

I have seen this actually happen, when using a drop down menu in Yappari - "ssh" there one minute, drop down, then it was gone. Certainly not reproduceable on demand, however.

Same for me.

Yup!

To increase timeout, you could open /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/openssh-status-widget.py and in line 162
Code:
if self.sshJustOff < 1:
give the condition a higher value. Then restart the status menu.
I'll try that!

The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
What would be nice, is if the ssh indicator icon displayed yellow when a connection was present, grey/white when server running but no connection.
An option "Show status 'connected' in status area" is added and enabled by default. I modified the "SSH" icon to show an additional "user" symbol above the letters. The idea of giving it a yellow color confused me a bit, I prefer the yellow color being associated with "server on", so i kept the white color of the status area icon.

The "timeout" feature got a modification. Status "off" is now displayed without a delay again. Instead there's a follow-up time of 10 seconds for tracking. If the display still switches to "off" while the server keeps running, there has to be a yet uncovered conflict with something else .

Before uploading I'll wait for some feedback regarding the two actual issues, mistaken switching to "off" and appearing icon in the status area. I attached the deb file of v1.3-pre.
Attached Files
File Type: deb openssh-status-widget_1.3-pre_armel.deb (30.8 KB, 45 views)

I modified the "SSH" icon to show an additional "user" symbol above the letters.
Ok, this has me just a tad confused - what "ssh" icon do you refer to here? Because, if it is the icon that displays next to the battery icon visible from the desktop, then I see nothing there indicating a connection.

[silly me - you were referring to this version and indeed such a marker appears. I think it is a little cluttered and changing it to orange would be a simpler way of showing the same. My 2 cents worth :-) ]

I was referring to that "ssh" icon. I accept your rationale regarding yellow, but what if it displayed orange when a connection(s) was active. In the drop down that shows when the battery area is pressed, orange is used to show the no. of active connections, hence my preference now for that colour.

I will test 1.3-pre. So far, modifying the parameter as you suggested a few posts back to 3 seems to give stability, but let's see wgat your new approach brings....

Last edited by handaxe; 2015-05-13 at 23:16. Reason: I got the wrong end of the stick....