Notices

nice work, great app. thanks.

Holy monkey. Every single day since February I've had a new reason to love this phone.

Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
works very well, thank you very much. I've tested it on a variety of documents and some more complex things like ID cards and RFID badges, all which work great. excellent work, my friend!

edit: as others have suggested, a pdf export feature would be absolutely thrilling... my productivity would skyrocket, and I'd actually consider paying money for an application like that

Last edited by deprecated; 2010-07-11 at 03:11.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
You should definitely add a pdf export feature, multipage, and your app would be pure gold
Unless OCR is done on the scan then exporting it to PDF would just "wrap a PDF container around the scan" thus increasing its filesize for no real benefit.

If you need a "multipage" document then gzip/tar a bunch of jpg/png, and view it using cbrpager

Last edited by kureyon; 2010-07-11 at 05:26.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
Any plans to release the source code?
I second that question. This is the most important aspect to me, great code as this probably is should be made public to maximize its power.

The Following User Says Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Unless OCR is done on the scan then exporting it to PDF would just "wrap a PDF container around the scan" thus increasing its filesize for no real benefit.
Yes, but I can send anybody a pdf document and be confident that they should be able to open it, even people half-illiterate with computers. The overhead shouldn't be that large.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Yes, but I can send anybody a pdf document and be confident that they should be able to open it, even people half-illiterate with computers. The overhead shouldn't be that large.
I bet jpeg is more common and usually built in to OS unlike pdf....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by eiraku View Post
Also there's Tesseract, which Phototranslator uses for OCR, which might be the last missing piece of the puzzle. Like someone said before, we don nessecarily need the "translation" part as we do the OCR.
I think most of the people agree that OCR will be another killer for FrontView. I am definitely interested. ah , I can see I will be extremely busy on recently few weeks (months?)

Originally Posted by eiraku View Post
But anyway, back to FrontView. The "chose paper area" (the movable green area thingy) option does not work for me. I choose my selected area, press scan, and it only scans the area that it chose automatically before that.

For some unknown reason, it DOES work sometimes, which is just sad. Any ideas?
Sorry , I don't have any idea about the problem. Anybody has similar problem?

@Dancairo,

Thx!

Originally Posted by antoarts View Post
Is there some way to undo a penstroke? I seem to only be able to start drawing all from scratch. Would love being able to cancel (click outside and close) the do you want to save/discard changes dialog. Also, if you quickly click the detect and drwaing button a few times the program crashes.

But, a fantastic application for being alpha and it has very great potential

You may draw a new line over the old stroke, if the scope is similar, the old stroke will be replaced.

In fact, it can ignore the old stroke , only those strokes form a quadrangle will be counted.

Sorry for the crash, the drawing part is not really stable. (PenPen's drawing code is based on FrontView , it have already fixed few issue , but not backported to FrontView yet)

@barzam

Unlike PenPen,which is a GPL v2 OSS, FrontView is a closed source program.

However , I am really happy to work/talk/play with a open community, so I can promise that the features available in 0.1-1 will remain free for N900 / Maemo in all future release. (Or I should say for a community maintained device? I really wonder the policy of Meego...)

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
But I always put photos on the SD card so the ability to use other folders than in the internal memory is important for me. I'll be checking for another release with this.
Sorry for the problem, I will fix on next release!

Last edited by benlau; 2010-07-11 at 13:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benlau For This Useful Post:
Ben, thanks for straightening that out, I wish you all the best luck with FrontView. Thanks again for this great program!

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Tucson, AZ
Just used it today to scan a 4 page doc. Brilliant.Thanks a ton!