Active Topics

Hedgecore:

Actually I don't care about brand-names or operating systems. I care about functionallity and long-term stability/availability. If a system delivers what I want it's a candidate. If not then I don't care of it has the personal seal of approval by Osama bin Stallman or the Number of the Bill on it.

I.e the EEE is a potentially nice system for running presentations (beamers are easy to borrow) or some note-taking without lugging around a full-sized laptop (and therefor another bag). EEE will fit in the attache case I need anyway for my college block. And some of the new mini-beamers look interesting. As for the OS I don't care. If OpenOffice/Penguin-combo can do the job, it can stay. If it can't than the EEE IS a x86 box so there are other options. I'd have to check wether there is a way to add a phone-support directly to it (not by BlueTooth) like I can do with a full-sized laptop. If yes, I'd be a "buy" for me.

I don't care much for Linux so "runs Linux" is NOT a "buy" argument for me but rather something I accept if a product does it's job(1). OpenSource is no "buy" argument either. If a software does it's job I don't care for the licence, if it does not even a good OS-Lizense like Apache or BSD won't make it better.

So if my Dream-Portabel comes out next year using a Transputer, running Amiga-OS and only accepts software hand-written by Bill Gates so be it.

(1) Politics and Software don't match. Linux has too much politcs (GPL) and politicians and not enough planning/long term stabel programming interfaces for my liking.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"Politics and Software don't match"... couldn't have said it better myself. I'm curious about what you mean as long term, ie as in an actual number of years. I'll admit I use things mainly for the moment. I've been running Ubuntu as my primary for over a year now and it's been great. I don't pay attention to the development roadmap because whether I know or not it doesn't matter to me. It'll always have to adhere to the standards out there as it clamours for mainstream acceptance and I won't look more than a year down the road. I don't think even Microsoft does that. Every time they release a new product they try to redefine standards (poorly) and it turns the world on it's head. Vista was a prime exception because I don't think it's being adopted very well at all. (We still run XP at work, as do most of the organizations I deal with.) (I did finally try the latest version of Office... brilliant job removing the menus people have gotten used to over the last 2 decades and replacing them with... ... ribbons. *shiver*)

I didn't mean to slag anyone but sometimes I feel like I'm watching TV commercials.

"Ever dropped your cell phone?"

... uh... I don't have one and don't want one.

"... out of your car?"

... um. I don't drive 'cause I live in the middle of a city with transit that comes every 5 minutes.

"And then messed up your hair leaning out the window to pick it up?"

... I've been a windspittin punk for 10 years, if my hair's out of place it's not going to get me shunned by my peers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm always careful to qualify what I'm sayin. Lack of cell phone or GPS support (for example) doesn't bother me in the slightest because I won't be making any cell phone calls from my car in the next decade or so. I know my use case ain't aligned with those of others so I can't comprehend how sometimes people don't see past their own finger tips and realize that, no, a device isn't de facto condemned because it doesn't fit *their* needs.

(Not saying you or anyone went to those lengths, just sayin in general.)

You do know you can throw XP on an EEE and it runs nicely. I wouldn't put 3D Studio on it and expect to render a Pixar film in record time but from the YouTube videos it looked pretty smooth. What the SSD gains in access time seems to make up for a lot of what the processor lacks.

Sitting here still on the fence as to whether the EEE could be a main machine for a lot of people makes me laugh at the old "Can the N800 replace my desktop?" threads.

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2008-01-16 at 14:56.

The marketplace will decide whether it's accepted, and it looks to me as if that has already been decided. Close to half a million sales, in less than 3 months, is not a bad start. People vote with their pocketbooks, and the Eee is selling very well. Anyone who doesn't like it is free to buy whatever else they like. The Eee has replaced both my desktop and laptop, but that's just me. They do still have horseraces...

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cool, so you're one of the people who viewed it as a replacement. How's it been so far? Anything that it just can't do (but I assume you can live with)? For me it's more of a can't-lug-my-desktop-with-me next best thing.

There was a lot of superstition about the SDD but math says 40kps sustained for several years and you'll wear out the memory.

As a long time ITT user, I have switched to the EEE---heres why:

No PIM - after waiting over two years, the PIM solutions were still very incomplete and did not suit my needs. With the EEE I am running Evolution, which suits my needs nicely.

HILDON - Why? After installing ROX box (thanks Penguinbait) I realized the true potential of my 770. Why Hildonize all applications when a real desktop could easily be achieved? I do not need a big clock on my home desktop, I need the applications I use daily. Also Hildon makes application ports very difficult. On the EEE, running Xubuntu, I just apt-get and it is installed.

Keyboard - the EEE keyboard, while small, is entirely usable for touch typing.

The 770 is great hardware. I was expecting a Sharp Zaurus experience when I bought this device (with the Zaurus, many OS options were available such as GPE and OpenZaurus) but his did not happen with the 770.

OK, I am ready for the flames!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Most of us want something we can easily carry around and put in our pockets. I might get an EEE myself, but not as a substitute for the N800. Maybe as a substitute for my Dell Latitude...

Originally Posted by troubleshootr View Post
No PIM - after waiting over two years, the PIM solutions were still very incomplete and did not suit my needs. With the EEE I am running Evolution, which suits my needs nicely.
SWEET!!! I love when I learn about something new, I never realized this app works with exchange servers, my Ubuntu laptop is now a very happy camper as a work machine!!! Man if they had ported this app to the IT I'd would have been one happy camper!

I for one want an eeepc. I have n800 and macbook atm. There are tasks that only a fullblown c2d laptop can handle, and then there are tasks that can be done with a small portable device, such as the n800. I have tried my best to use n800 as video player, but nah ... too much hassle. I just wanna drop anything I want to the memorycard and I'm good to go.

Everyone has promised wonders for the n800 but any of my needs has not been fullfilled. And no, I don't need fancy looking UI etc. I want calendar, officesuite and a good video player, with no encoding of any videos.

And no, I am not selling my N800 because it is still a great device on the go, when you just need something light to carry along, no need fo video playback etc.

Let's just see how my signifcant other responds to the frase:"I want an eeepc"

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Jupex View Post
Everyone has promised wonders for the n800 but any of my needs has not been fullfilled. And no, I don't need fancy looking UI etc. I want calendar, officesuite and a good video player, with no encoding of any videos.
Nobody promised you any of that, you just didn't do enough research.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
Ive been thinking about getting one of these for a little wile now. I heard somewhere a new one was comming out so maybe I will wait and get an 8g or the 4g when the price drops... I really like modding things and I love to solder. I saw some great mods for the eee such as a gps, touchscreen, internal flash drives and extra SDHC reader, fm tuner and many more..

Ive been using my N800 for reading aircraft manuals that are in pdf format.That's actually the reason I bought the thing and I got to say.... It's not worth the waiting and crashing....

Anyway i hope you enjoy your eee. I may be seeing you on the eeeuser forums soon.