Notices

Are there any plans to hildonize the button bars and stuff?

Are you sure you're using the version I put out? It's fully hildonized. (See the screenshots in the original post.) If that's what you're seeing, then I think we mean different things by Hildonized - I mean using hildon constructs and GUI design. In this way, my statement is correct - note that the button bars match, for instance, those in the Notes program. Does this make sense?
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
Are you sure you're using the version I put out? It's fully hildonized. (See the screenshots in the original post.) If that's what you're seeing, then I think we mean different things by Hildonized - I mean using hildon constructs and GUI design. In this way, my statement is correct - note that the button bars match, for instance, those in the Notes program. Does this make sense?
Whoa! Mine looks like Abiword on a desktop! I have a file, edit, view, insert, etc menu.

How on earth did this happen?

My guess is that you have the debian version installed and somehow the launcher is starting that. Remove the debian version, make sure you have removed other repositories that had AbiWord (my version contains "rp" and ends in "pre2" in the version string), and then try starting it from the application menu.

The Following User Says Thank You to megabyte405 For This Useful Post:
That's it! Turns out I had it installed properly, but I kept launching the deb version by accident.

Last edited by midwinter; 2008-07-16 at 22:40.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Minnesota
How Do I Get The Stylus Keyboard to work with out changing the settings to launch th keyboard with the dpad. is there a plugin??? Just wondering but for once abiword is fully functional. I am using the n800 and abiword 2.6.4. Will a patch for this be in an update soon.

Last edited by T-unit; 2008-07-17 at 03:02.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
From the sound of it, no. And I would not recommend using the stylus keyboard at all with this version. Use another virtual keyboard or a hardware keyboard instead.

The missing stylus keyboard is one of the major bugs on that bug list. (It's in the first post - take a look at it before asking about something that doesn't work right and your question might be answered before being asked.) I've done some debugging here, and it seems AbiWord has to manually call a GTK+ Input Method and Hildon call on an input method context to pop up the stylus keyboard when you tap within the document area. That code is there, however, the call is failing because the pointer to the gtk im context is either null or invalid, I can't remember which. I'm not entirely sure why that is the case - my next debugging step there is to make sure we actually have that im context pointer on a desktop version (because if it's bad there too, then if I can't fix it, another dev can do so more easily), and if it's only bad on Maemo, I need to trace the lifetime of that pointer and see where it's getting accidentally destroyed. This is actually not the hardest one to do, since it happens all the time and it's very simple to test, and I have an N800 which I can test with and which incentivizes my fix (I can't use AbiWord on there without my BT keyboard until it's fixed!) . I'm guessing, too, that once that gets fixed, the full-screen keyboard bug might be fixed, since those are both input-related, and if we truly have a bogus input method context, then there's no guarantee anything works right in the weird-input world outside of a hardware us-101 keyboard. We'll see - I really would like to fix this one!

(PS: If _anyone_ can get the small stylus keyboard (not the full-screen thumb keyboard) up in this version, please tell me how! That has the potential to lead right to the bug!)

There's another bug like this that probably affects a lot, and that's the one where it asserts all the time in debug mode. If it's asserting in debug mode, that might mean things are silently failing in regular mode, and it's asserting in normally (and cross-platform) good code, which means somewhere along the calling line something is getting botched, and somewhere that has an #ifdef for maemo.

Maybe you can buy the time of a skilled hildon hacker (I may be a hacker, and I may be somewhat skilled, but without hildon experience and I'm learning GTK+ right now) who lurks here on the boards - best way to do so would probably be to add as a comment to the bug and announce here how much you bounty it, and the conditions for the bounty to be fulfilled (presumably bug fixed and fix reviewed by Abi devs and checked in).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
(PS: If _anyone_ can get the small stylus keyboard (not the full-screen thumb keyboard) up in this version, please tell me how! That has the potential to lead right to the bug!)
See my first post:

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Tapping in the editable text area does not open the stylus keyboard on an N800.

In order to use this AbiWord on the N800 with the stylus keyboard, you must open the stylus keyboard (in an app that lets you do it) and choose the button with the page in the lower left corner of the keyboard. Choose Tools -> Settings, then uncheck "Launch finger keyboard with [square]".

Then, in AbiWord, you hit the middle of the D-Pad to pop up the stylus keyboard...
Funny that you should ask that in a post that you start with:

It's in the first post - take a look at it before asking about something that doesn't work right and your question might be answered before being asked.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
OK, somehow when I read your post I didn't realize that you had gotten the stylus keyboard to pop up at all (I thought you were referring to the thumb keyboard) - bad me for not reading more carefully!

Unfortunately that is mostly just replacing the manual behavior of popping the thumb keyboard with popping the stylus keyboard, so I don't think that will help much. Out of curiosity, there is a bug or two about the thumb keyboard causing crashing. Does that happen when you use the stylus keyboard popped in this way? (see the bug list, I don't recall the # offhand.)

Tags
abiword, office