Notices

thanks a lot.. but now I have the same problem as with the previous front end; when I click connect the window just disappears, with nothing happening afterward.

Originally Posted by mikomraz View Post
thanks a lot.. but now I have the same problem as with the previous front end; when I click connect the window just disappears, with nothing happening afterward.
I would try running it manually in X-terminal to see what it says.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
~ $ python2.5 `which rdesktop.py`
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/rdesktop.py", line 141, in <module>
handle = rdesktop()
File "/usr/local/bin/rdesktop.py", line 50, in __init__
self.host.set_text(self.client.get_string("/apps/rdesktop/server")) # The old rdesktop app called it server, let's keep compatibility
TypeError: GtkEntry.set_text() argument 1 must be string, not None
N800, Diablo with latest SSU update, python from diablo repositories. Maybe I'm being awkward but installing the old gui isn't a solution

EDIT: Looks like it is, done it anyway

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-08-18 at 13:07.

Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
I would try running it manually in X-terminal to see what it says.
and how do I do that?

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
mikomraz: What I can only assume to be happening is the program spawns an rdesktop session, but it fails to connect to the remote computer. Currently, I don't have any kind of error dialog to let you know this, but I'll try to get one in the next version. You can run it in xterm by opening xterm (Utilities > X Terminal in the application menu), and typing:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/rdesktop.py
(And pressing enter). The program will open, do whatever you normally do to connect, and post all the output it gives you in X Terminal here, and I'll see what I can do.

And now, for a small development update: I have most features planned for the next release all working. I plan to change how installing will work in the next version, though. The package will be split into two packages: rdesktop-cli, and pyrdesktop. They will both be in maemo extras (I'm working on that part right now). So, keep watching this thread! I should have everything in extras in a day or two...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Good news! pyrdesktop and rdesktop-cli are now in diablo extras! Unfortunately, you can't upgrade from 1.0.0 to 1.3.1-2 (the current version). Just uninstall the current version and the new version will install no problem. I've fixed most bugs and implemented most features, but there's still a lot I want to add to this program.

pyrdesktop and rdesktop-cli are in chinook extras-devel right now. Does anyone with a n800 or n810 have chinook installed to test it out? It built fine, so there shouldn't be a problem, but just in case...

You can report all bugs here, or in the garage page for rdesktop! I've uploaded pyrdesktop and rdesktop-cli (for diablo), and the source there, also. Enjoy! Going to update the first post with the new information now...

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Works marvelously for my XP box, but... as I feared above, with no obvious means to specify the -o switch, one cannot connect to the running console session on Windows Server 2003. Is this something you can implement in the next version?

sds910: the -0 switch (It's a zero, not an "oh") was something I played with before making this release, but I was never able to see it having any affect on my connection. Perhaps, though, that's because I'm running Windows XP. You can try using whatever switches you want by running rdesktop-cli directly in the command line. I'm unfamiliar with this switch, so if you could give me a bit of a rundown on what it's supposed to do, that would be great.

Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
sds910: the -0 switch (It's a zero, not an "oh") was something I played with before making this release, but I was never able to see it having any affect on my connection. Perhaps, though, that's because I'm running Windows XP. You can try using whatever switches you want by running rdesktop-cli directly in the command line. I'm unfamiliar with this switch, so if you could give me a bit of a rundown on what it's supposed to do, that would be great.
Yes, of course it's a 0. Brain fart...

On XP, it's not necessary, but it's required on Windows server 2003 in order to connect to the running console session. Without it, you're logging on to a new session with no ability to interact with programs running on the console desktop... and you're potentially launching duplicate iterations of software that's set to run upon login. Y'see? For those of us that need to administer a 2003 box, this is vital...

The Following User Says Thank You to sds910 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
TrueJournals: I had this saved in my bookmarks from some Server 2003 work I did recently. I might give you some insight on the console connection.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278845 How to shadow the console

Last edited by bluesubaru; 2008-08-19 at 02:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluesubaru For This Useful Post:

Tags
diablo, gui, rdesktop