Active Topics

Notices

It was always a problem that it would block after just a few maps, but I'm sorry to see the sat maps go. They were extremely useful in Africa in places where google street maps were just plain wrong and virtual earth didn't have the resolution.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Does anyone know why the layer for US weather radar wouldnt be working? I copy and pasted the url of another maemo mapper thread, can anyone else confirm this or tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
When I download 20 mb of maps I get a 70 mb database file (osm).
Is it possible to calculate the new database size before downloading?

Originally Posted by branchingfactor View Post
I successfully downloaded the update via the Application Manager; thank you!

The APRS functionality looks very interesting but I could not get it working. Can you or Rob Williams please provide a basic HOWTO?
I'm having the same problem. Can't seem to connect to the server. I may have found a bug as well. After starting and closing the app, a random server port number was entered in place of what I had typed in. It was also higher than the maximum port number allowed.

Please post up your settings if you got this new feature working.

EDIT: confirming the APRS server port bug. Started the program and what I believe was port 1055 was changed to port 4294967138.

Last edited by st5150; 2009-03-11 at 22:49.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Derby, UK
Originally Posted by branchingfactor View Post
The APRS functionality looks very interesting but I could not get it working. Can you or Rob Williams please provide a basic HOWTO?
I have created a basic overview of how to use the APRS functionality here. I will try to add more detail at some point...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to camel For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the basic overview!

While playing around with the APRS functionality, I noticed a possible bug.

When I close down Maemo Mapper and then reopen it, the value in the Port field is always changed to 4294962716 and the value in the Enable Range field is always changed to 0. Any entries I made in the Internet 2 Beacon Interval or the TNC 2 Beacon Interval are erased.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Derby, UK
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
confirming the APRS server port bug. Started the program and what I believe was port 1055 was changed to port 4294967138.
I have found the problem in the code and corrected it. Because of this bug you will be unable to set the following APRS settings:
  • Port
  • Range
  • Internet Beacon Interval
  • TNC Beacon Interval

When the next release is available you should be able to change these.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Maemo Mapper v2.6 ... There is no utility to convert GDBM map repositories to SQLite3 map repositories...

Let me know if you have any problems with the release. Thanks!
Greetings gnuite and thank you for the continued support and improvements.

Do you know of any utility that can convert the original M/Mapper tile format to an SQLite 3 file?

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New York City
I noticed the map downloading speed when using sqlite is much slower than that when using db. It's almost unbearably slow. So I'm still stuck with db format.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I noticed the map downloading speed when using sqlite is much slower than that when using db. It's almost unbearably slow. So I'm still stuck with db format.
Me, not so much. SQLite corrects one of what for me was a limitation to M/M....

The ability to have the USA saved @ large numbers (down to 12 zoom in 2's) for reference, an additional home field area in greater detail (about a day driving trip in any direction) down to zoom level 4 in 2's, plus the ability of adding additional "home fields" when on business trips or vacations.

The DB format would allow the country wide and home field maps but if you needed to add another area in greater detail it would run smack into the 2 GB barrier. Plus you wouldn't know what got added before the download was aborted.

Home field for me would be say 4 parallel by 3 meridian lines or 207 miles by 276 miles, about 57,000 square.

BTW, in the time it took me to post this I was able to download most of North America to SQLite @ 12 zoom. Not too bad... but I type pretty dang slow and my spelling skills suck.