Active Topics

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Then hopefully it'll be open source and usable for Mer.

Nokia's continued demonstrations of their incompetence is one of the main reasons I'm always baffled by people clamoring for more built-in stuff. Better it be delivered by the community and, thus, open source and hopefully somewhat sane.
For me, the sad thing is that this is the second time I think on just ditching Maemo and going for Android, and as the first time, it was because of a Ragnar's post and what it reflects of Nokia's design attitude and stance.

I just made a quick trip to the US where I had the chance to play with the Pre and the Hero, and it took all my willpower to not bringing one of those back home with me.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I just don't get why it even has to be a controversy.
There is an awful stench of "if-you-contradict-our-design-dogma-you-are-a-heretic" here that I don't like at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
There is an awful stench of "if-you-contradict-our-design-dogma-you-are-a-heretic" here that I don't like at all.
I agree. This thread blossomed the same day as a very good take on open source from cnet. The message that Matt Asay advocates:

No ideology. Just adoption.

I fear that some on this site have it backwards.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10...g=2547-1_3-0-5

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
...throwing all calls into one big scrolling list has made retrieving specific types of calls more complicated.

Don't replace complication with another flavor of complication and automatically call it better, or arbitrarily dismiss other suggestions due to different forms of complication.

Face it: providing access to filters and sorting features adds a layer of complexity... but the usefulness is highly desired. So the solution is find a way to maximize information sorting/categorizing while minimizing "in your face" UI elements to get at it.

Don't tell me that can't be done.
Huh. Why does this remind me of all the same push-back we got about all the HARDWARE ages ago when we complained about after-market customer support for accessories (like A2DP compatibility, docks, even extra syluses), parts, extra syluses and even what we wanted to see in the new N900?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Then hopefully it'll be open source and usable for Mer.

Nokia's continued demonstrations of their incompetence is one of the main reasons I'm always baffled by people clamoring for more built-in stuff. Better it be delivered by the community and, thus, open source and hopefully somewhat sane.
The problem with this is that we're stuck with the software they provide built-in to Maemo. I can't uninstall their browser, email clients, contact software, etc. It's all there--uninstallable and clearly not entirely open to the consumer to customize or improve... sometimes even to the extent of replacing it with a better application that, right now, I end up having to share space with alongside it in my small tablet. If Maemo can't have those applications opened--they really should be able to be uninstalled when a better app comes along. I didn't even mention that there will be plenty of people who don't go out and look for a better app (like my sister or mom, etc.) because they're not the type to go out and explore new applications to replace something the unit came with.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
I agree. This thread blossomed the same day as a very good take on open source from cnet. The message that Matt Asay advocates:

No ideology. Just adoption.

I fear that some on this site have it backwards.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10...g=2547-1_3-0-5
I'm not seeing how that fits into this thread...?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
I'm not seeing how that fits into this thread...?
Some of the comments here have an ideological tinge. Not quite as harsh as "we made the decision, you will live with the decision" but tending in that direction.

IMHO, Nokia and maemo.org should be primarily concerned not with preserving what was designed and developed because it was a better decision in the abstract but with how to spur adoption by modifying what was designed and developed because it is a better decision based on customer feedback.

Don't tell the millions of iPhone (and Symbian) users "we could have done that but we didn't because you don't really need it." Instead try to get to "we think our way will be better for you in the long run but we'll let you do it their way too."

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ah, thanks DaveP1. Well-put.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
The problem with this is that we're stuck with the software they provide built-in to Maemo. I can't uninstall their browser, email clients, contact software, etc. It's all there--uninstallable and clearly not entirely open to the consumer to customize or improve... sometimes even to the extent of replacing it with a better application that, right now, I end up having to share space with alongside it in my small tablet. If Maemo can't have those applications opened--they really should be able to be uninstalled when a better app comes along.
Incorrect. You can uninstall any of these applications, it just may have consequences on your upgrade path. This is an unfortunately historical consequence of Nokia's old platform architecture and it's something that they're working on fixing as we move forward.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
For me, the sad thing is that this is the second time I think on just ditching Maemo and going for Android, and as the first time, it was because of a Ragnar's post and what it reflects of Nokia's design attitude and stance.
At least Nokians are actually out here discussing things with us. At least they sometimes consider input from the community (see the /opt discussion). For all it's faults, it's still a much better platform than Android will ever be.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The contacts page has a filter menu, called "Groups," which doesn't use tabs. When you choose "Groups," you are shown a menu of all of your accounts, and when you choose an account, only contacts from that account are shown. The "All contacts" at the top is replaced with the account name, the "X" in the top right is replaced with a back-arrow, and clicking on the back-arrow returns to the "all contacts" page.

Seems like this should also work for filtering the call history.

(Another seemingly "basic" phone function missing from the N900 is being able to choose a ringtone per contact or per group.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
phone, usability, user interface