Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Notice that they say milestone for Symbian... not device as they say with Maemo 6. Hmmm... if they are bringing Harmattan that quickly, I would dare to say that the core hardware will be the same as the N900, which would make the N900's compatible with Maemo 6.
I hope really that they do not explode later on the market with 10 different Maemo devices. The gazillion S60 phones have made me just dizzy, too much differentiation. Actually, confirmed by studies, having a large set of devices causes confusion, delayed decision making (maņana.. tomorrow..) and in the end loss of sales and lower buyer satisfaction for those who finally decided but still are not sure. I really hope that there is two, max three, devices on the market later on. These could be one small with keyboard, a small without keyboard (just to point out why to buy one with keyboard ) and maybe larger device with keyboard.

I also expect the next hardware to be similar. Maybe four rows of keys, resolution independence with higher resolution, screen stretching from corner to corner, slimmer case, larger battery and no need for /opt hacks. What comes to the bundled software, a killer PIM software, fast maps and heavy-duty capable email. We'll see in a year, guessing earliest in September just by looking the track record of deliveries in time by Nokia.

Clearly there is now three categories of mobiles: mobile computers, smart phones and mobiles. As I see, Maemo is mobile computer and Symbian is a smart phone. What comes to computers, from consumer perspective it would be excellent if I could move from one device to another with backups and it would just work. Additionally, there should be platform support at least 3 years - updating the UI framework for example, so newer software can run on the device when the hardware would not be a limiter.

Stock market didn't like Nokia management's message. Stock down ~2.7% after the day.

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
2 hours left... the big bang is coming

*edit* 1 hour left... webcast site is opened in my browser... waiting...

Last edited by Brock; 2011-02-11 at 09:01.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ South Africa
Maemo is dead. Symbian is dead. Meego is just an "experiment". WP7 Is now the future of Nokia.
Debian

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Originally Posted by Ele-Mental View Post
Maemo is dead. Symbian is dead. Meego is just an "experiment". WP7 Is now the future of Nokia.

Maemo is dead, Symbian is dead, Meego is dead, and I don't feel so good myself...

If WP7 is the future, we are going Back to the Future...