Active Topics

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Tracker is taking up 57.2%!

Have you added any new media files recently? If not, I wonder why it's trying to re-index. Maybe it got stuck on a file or something..

Try killing tracker, you'll have to find the PID, and then kill that process. Seems like tracker hasn't improved since I tried it a year ago..
I added a few music files yesterday and have been tagging my picture files (probably have like 4000 pictures).

What is PID?

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
You could check whether tracker log files contain something informative. Good command could be.

~ $ tail .local/share/tracker/tracker-indexer.log

P.S. IMO flashing the device is sort of giving up And it doesn't guarantee to make your indexing (which tracker does) any better next time.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Uninstalled butterfly because everything was just hanging. Email is still hanging. Will do hard reset. If problem persists will have no choice but to reflash. But that will be really really annoying as I have spent ages on my settings.
Btw, you can use backup/restore to restore the settings. Just don't restore the applications you have installed and you should have almost everything restored. Disclaimer: I didn't test it myself.

I added a few music files yesterday and have been tagging my picture files (probably have like 4000 pictures).

What is PID?
So Tracker is indexing those files (which is making the device slow) though not sure why it's causing reboot problems. What happens if you just leave it alone to let it index? Though it really should be pausing the indexing when your using the device (like on the desktop/laptop but again it doesn't work that well even on there)

A PID is a process ID number. Every process/task ran on Linux has one.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/kill-pr...linux-systems/

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Hopefully you can avoid re-flashing the unit sounds too much like a "ms windows" solution to me!

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
Not quite sure what you mean - he's actually right.

Schrodingers Electrons are in neither an on or an off state until you take the battery out. Then you can see the PCB and as we know from quantum theory act of obsevation has and effect on the quantum state of electrons - so just by seeing the PCB you actually reset the electrons in the device and they are no longer confused. (Please make sure you hold the N900 horizontal when taking the battery out though otherwise the electrons tend to drain out of the battery terminals and onto the floor).

As an aside all of these issues can be avoided by encasing electonics in clear cases. It's why the original Imac was see-through - Apple had a really issue with confused electons at that point although they now seem to have it under control.
I am quite sure there is PCB involved! But thanks.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland

What is PID?
How the heck are you managing 4000 pictures on the N900? The "albums" software is set to show ALL pictures by default when you open it, so when I put in about 4000 pictures of pretty ladies on my N900, the albums software became almost unusable from being so slow at launch.

I know you can filter by directory, but that's not the default and I also don't want my pretty ladies to be "mixed" with photos of my son when I start browsing photos.

I have about 20gb of music and video on the device.
That kinda explains it. It should sort itself out after a while. If it doesn't, perhaps Tracker is choking on some of your media. Of course this shouldn't happen, but that is the most likely explanation. So if it gets too bad, removing the media (and then adding it again gradually, to see if something specific triggers the issue) may be the best thing to try.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Is this the same tracker that is part of Gnome?

If this is the case you can configure it not to track while on battery power and exclude folders and certain media.

As far as I remember!

Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
How the heck are you managing 4000 pictures on the N900? The "albums" software is set to show ALL pictures by default when you open it, so when I put in about 4000 pictures of pretty ladies on my N900, the albums software became almost unusable from being so slow at launch.

I know you can filter by directory, but that's not the default and I also don't want my pretty ladies to be "mixed" with photos of my son when I start browsing photos.
Shrunk them down to much smaller sizes closer to the devices screen resolution so takes up much less space. It is pretty pretty pretty annoying that the picture programme defaults to all files when you start up. Hoping someone else comes up with a picture programme or Nokia fixes this problem.

Tags
lack of quality control