Active Topics

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by titan View Post
I had tried the same with changing the definition in /etc/osso-af-init/af-defines.sh
to no avail several weeks ago. But IIRC I only checked the camera app.
Yep, it seems to be broken in Fremantle, since all I get when I set MYDOCSDIR is that file open/save dialogs break (the file manager is a "big" open/save dialog) -- instead of showing the usual "Device" it shows a "MyDocs" icon that points to /home/user/MyDocs, but creates the tmp folder in the $MYDOCSDIR.

This should be fixable though since hildon-fm is OSS (you can rename the safe folders if you want, too).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
This should be fixable though since hildon-fm is OSS (you can rename the safe folders if you want, too).
1) Is it possible to replace the standard FM with another one?

2) Would it be possible to implement a standard wrapper around a replacement FM so that when the standard open/save dialog is required by an app, the new FM would provide that?

@titan @ ruskie
I would like to repartition the internal flash as soon as Nokia releases the firmware upgrade. Do you have updated any of your docs on how to acompiish that?

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Imperial College London
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
1) Is it possible to replace the standard FM with another one?

2) Would it be possible to implement a standard wrapper around a replacement FM so that when the standard open/save dialog is required by an app, the new FM would provide that?
If the main aim of replacing the filemanager would be to allow access to /home an easier way that seems to work (I've done no testing at all!) would be to bind mount /home to a place under MyDocs, e.g.

Code:
sudo gainroot
cd /home/user/MyDocs
mkdir home_mnt
mount --bind /home home_mnt
If this seems to work OK you could add a line to your /etc/fstab file to automate this.

WARNING! I guess this could break in strange and unexpected ways upon attaching to a computer in mass storage mode. I'll have a look at an automatic umount but if you try this out in the mean time it's probably worth manually doing it before connecting to a computer.

Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /home/user/MyDocs/home_mnt
Cheers,
Jan

Originally Posted by Big Phat Jan View Post
If the main aim of replacing the filemanager would be to allow access to /home an easier way that seems to work (I've done no testing at all!) would be to bind mount /home to a place under MyDocs, e.g. (...)
Actually, the main aim would be to have more features. In addition to be able browse all the file system, I would like the following features (that are available in other FMs, as I'm told):
  • I would like to see whole filenames but it hides the extension (why does it, anyway?)
  • I would like to be able to see hidden files and directories (maybe, a button to toggle its visibility)
  • I would like to be able to define the starting folder
  • Maybe integrate with samba and sshfs to be able to browse the network
  • Maybe integrate with samba and sshfs to be able to browse the network

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
it doesn't work. that was one of the first things I tried on my N900 when I found out about
the stupid MyDocs constraint.

Originally Posted by Big Phat Jan View Post
If the main aim of replacing the filemanager would be to allow access to /home an easier way that seems to work (I've done no testing at all!) would be to bind mount /home to a place under MyDocs, e.g.

fortunately some of the things you can do in the open source GPE file manager.
It seems that Nokia has tried to make the N900 as simple as possible and even simpler
(!) so that average joe would not get confused but the actual users are mostly tech-savy
people...FAIL

Actually, the main aim would be to have more features. In addition to be able browse all the file system, I would like the following features (that are available in other FMs, as I'm told):

update:

I've been working on adding support for loopback files, porting GNU parted etc
lately, but I didn't have time to test it yet (I have to make a complete backup first...)
I have uploaded modified version of ke-recv and upstart (system-services) with some changes:
* only generate fstab if it is missing or requested using /etc/fstab.regen
* run optional /etc/init.d/pre-mount-once once before mounting
* support for mounting loopback devices (options in /etc/default/mount-opts)

http://www.maemory.com/N900/mmc/ke-r...1tt1_armel.deb
http://www.maemory.com/N900/mmc/syst...1tt1_armel.deb
sources etc: http://www.maemory.com/N900/mmc/

feel free to test them at your own risk (backup first!) and you're welcome to help me.
parted still crashes on start. I have no idea why.

My plan is to run a script which performs repartitioning (incl. shrinking of ext3)
before mounting any partitions on the eMMC. If you just want to grow ext3 you can do it online using resize2fs.
I still need to work out a good solution for managing which partitions or files are exported per USB
and mounted as MyDocs or other directories.

@titan @ ruskie
I would like to repartition the internal flash as soon as Nokia releases the firmware upgrade. Do you have updated any of your docs on how to acompiish that?
I don't think they have changed anything that is related to paritition handling
but we'll see when the update is available...

Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
In my view, the main issue is not whether users need this repartitioning but whether applications which people develop need it.
ok, assuming that "storing my files" is also an application
I agree with Fanoush that we need the system to be able to have part of the MMC which it owns and which can be over-written during upgrades. This could be mounted as /home (or, maybe, something like /home/system).
For those of us who need to be able to boot different software releases, for testing, we would want to have different /home's available, which we arrange to be mounted correctly for the image we are booting (a task for the bootmenu).
I think there should be as few as possible partitions as you cannot use the free space on other partitions - which would be wasted if you choose an inappropriate partition schema.

I think the cleanest solution would be:
/emmc - single ext3 partitions on the eMMC mounted on /emmc
/emmc/opt - directory for addons managed by system
/emmc/home - user directories
/emmc/loopback/ - directory for loopback file incl. MyDocs FAT file
If you really want to boot multiple systems you could create an appropriate
symlink to opt.<version> during boot.

loopback files can be easily resized online without dangerous repartitioning
and you could keep multiple FAT images or, e.g. NTFS images.