A whole lot of BS by none other than Pope Steve Jobs, his holyness who will tell us exactly what to use and what not to use. Ahh Apple is soo pure with their itunes and app store, Flash just corrupts it lol

its all about royalties and Apple's patent in H.264. Its about selling videos on itunes. why would Pope Steve allow you to watch videos all over the web? No, you are too ignorant to be wandering in the cloud of internet. You must be kept at a distance.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Was Ogg/Theora a sane option during that selection process? I wonder why it wasn't seleccted?
I believe it was (and still may be) a bit immature. Last I read anyway... there were performance issues to resolve.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Well, the title screen is nice enough, I suppose, but "PRESS A TO START" seems to be a lie.
Umm, yes - a is z and b is x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I believe it was (and still may be) a bit immature. Last I read anyway... there were performance issues to resolve.
That sounds like what's google doing with them sponsoring Theora's optimization for mobile implementation then
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by bundyo View Post
a sample - html5 browser game. How does it run for you?

http://www.kesiev.com/akihabara/demo/game-tlol.html
I'M THE OWNER OF MY LIFE.

THE END

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
apple and nokia presented disagreement with the choice.

apple have a vested interest in H264:
http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/...Licensors.aspx

and nokia was (is?) probably worried that they did not have any phones that could decode ogg in hardware.

btw, H264 is as much if not a greater performance hog then theora, but is helped along by DSP, GPU or other dedicated hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
and nokia was (is?) probably worried that they did not have any phones that could decode ogg in hardware.
This was Nokia's opinion about HTML5 video-tag:
http://www.w3.org/2007/08/video/positions/Nokia.pdf
(PDF, another evil thing from Adobe)
Anything beyond that, including a W3C-lead standardization of a “free” codec, or the active endorsement of proprietary technology such as Ogg, ..., by W3C, is, in our opinion, not helpful for the co-existence of the two ecosystems (web and video), and
therefore not our choice.
While not competitive with today’s state of the art codecs,
it’s in the author’s personal experience not that far in its performance from
Ogg Theora (this technology is what the current HTML5 draft suggests for the same purpose).
I think it would had been good if Theora would had been mandatory codec in HTML5-compliant www-borwsers, but not the only possibility as it is today.
Now all www-browsers should support H.264, Theora and Flash Video to have "full featured web experience".

Last edited by zimon; 2010-04-29 at 19:22.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
funny thing is, the video tag can handle multiple codes, just add extra source tags inside it. And ogg would be used a lowest common denominator, iirc.

and i call whitewash on that nokia opinion.

The whole problem with osx and flash was apple had it so locked down there wasn't anything they could do to fix it till now
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/22/a...elerated-flas/
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/10/h...ettles-few-de/

Last edited by superg05; 2010-04-29 at 19:42.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
While there are real criticisms of Flash in there (which I agree with) I have to chime in on the "he's full of poop" side of this divide. The iPhone could easily let users opt in to using flash, or even give them a nag screen that they have to approve with every flash app they try and run online (that would probably kill flash faster than anything).

But Apple isn't concerned about maintaining open standards any more than I am concerned with ensuring that there is a good cheesburger to be found in Oklahoma (I am from Texas, and we don't go there). He is concerned about controlling the user experience so that nobody does anything on the iPhone that isn't approved by Apple.

The big danger Apple faces is that users could get apps which are not approved by apple. If they had flash, they would have fast and glitzy locally running apps from any website they visited. Apple would no longer get to decide whether the app was acceptable or not and (more importantly) would not get their percentage of any purchase price for something used on the phone.

If you doubt this, then ask why you can't run python on the iPhone. Aside from the fact that you can't download a file and use it in any other app on the iPhone, someone could very easily write pygame based or (the horror) pyqt based apps for the iPhone. But apple says no interpreters. So nobody else is going to have a subscription based (or ad-supported) pygame system for the i-stuff.

Mr. Jobs does a great job of explaining why he doesn't like Flash. But he doesn't explain why he doesn't trust iPhone users to decide for themselves whether they want long battery life or access to farmville on any given day. (Today, by the way, I chose short battery life but full access to all my IM accounts because I am working offsite...that's what freedom lets me do.)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, apple, flash, h.264, html5, irony, jobs