Originally Posted by saadgadit View Post
and my provider does not allow international sms on my plan ..
This is not an international SMS. It is local.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
66542: Attempt to unsubscribe has failed. Go to "my Nokia" in Settings and try again. Visit http://www.nokia.com/mynokia for more information.
All I can say is WOW.... I was not aware I had agreed to the subscription either.. But not being able to unsubscribe and giving away my details. Definately Breach of Trust
recent phone / tablett history SE W900, Nokia E65, Nokia N95-8GB / N900

The Following User Says Thank You to 77h For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Does anyone know what process or config file could be modified to stop the text being sent? For example, I could update with no SIM inserted, modify the file, then insert the SIM safe in the knowledge that my details won't be sent.
I cannot ensure this'll work (my credit was killed off - three guesses as to what did it ) but you can try replacing /usr/bin/cherry with a script that returns 0. It appears to be the process instigating the SMSes sent to Nokia, looking at the list of numbers contained in it and the references to the SMS D-Bus Service.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This will be covered in a blog article I am about to write. Details like the ones qwerty12 posted will be very helpful.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I have yet to update. Is there any way i can do so without sharing my info with Nokia and without being charged for a text?

Originally Posted by cazzajay View Post
Yes, I was referring to the title of the thread "Privacy breach" which is technically incorrect.
it isn't.
nokia makes _your_ phone send _private_ information (yes, your phone number _is_ private information) without your consent and on top of that makes you pay for it.

it's not only a breach of privacy, but at least in germany, and probably the rest of the eu as well, illegal.

and due to the usual incompentent package creation, you can't even simply uninstall that crap!

btw: according to
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/34cherry
that thing tries it sneaky stuff only, when there's no file
/home/user/.cherry_state

thus, one could either create that file

touch /home/user/.cherry_state

or disable/remove the script
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/34cherry

Last edited by arne.anka; 2010-05-27 at 20:55.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to arne.anka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ canada
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
I have yet to update. Is there any way i can do so without sharing my info with Nokia and without being charged for a text?
I have been wondering if I could just pull out the SIM before updating, reboot a few times, and let it do its thing for a while before putting the SIM back in.

That should stop the SMS from going out, shouldn't it?

Unless, of course, it is eagerly awaiting me putting the SIM back in....

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
I think nobody knows exactly at the moment.
I made my Update OTA, at the point where I've been asked about this subscribtion I carefully read the terms of privacy, after that there's only a "continue" button, no apply or deny, and the update continues. After updating successfully I got the SMS....

What's really annoying, is that - beside of the eventually costs - it seems that there is no way to NOT receive that message (beside it would be blocked by operator, but this does not mean it is not sent to you). After the first use of the handset after upgrading there wil be an SMS sent to Nokia automatically (!) which contains your phonenumber, serialnumber and identificationnumber
This means that Nokia in any case knows your number(s) and is able to use (abuse) it.

BTW - if you read the terms of policy again you'll find that passus, that the SMS' costs come up to standard.

CU - M_99

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_99 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by M_99 View Post

BTW - if you read the terms of policy again you'll find that passus, that the SMS' costs come up to standard.

CU - M_99
I have unpacked the terms and it really says, that the SMS will be billed according to the operators tariff. However, it does not say, to which number the SMS is sent, which does not allow me to tell the price.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gwj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ canada
Originally Posted by gwj View Post
I have unpacked the terms and it really says, that the SMS will be billed according to the operators tariff. However, it does not say, to which number the SMS is sent, which does not allow me to tell the price.
I wonder if it sends to one of those "short codes" ... which my cell provider does not support... that would be interesting.