I have been experiencing some serious issues with the microB after the PR 1.2 update. Websites either partially load or do not load at all. I have tried reflashing my device to the previous firmware, and everything works just fine!
This is a very big issue to me, as I use my N900 mainly for web browsing. If I won't be able to fix this issue, I am afraid I'll have to sell my N900. I really hope I won't need to do that...

Whoa.. I've had no problems with it yet. I'll let you guys know if I do at some point.

Never installed Adblock though.

Originally Posted by PhonoN900 View Post
I'm having a serious issue scrolling web pages with the arrow keys. If I press and hold the down button for anything longer than 1.5 seconds (more than just one "click") it scrolls uncontrollably down the page.

Especially when the page is loading, or if I (have a seperate page loading in the background).

It used to do this when the cpu was under full load (i.e. on phone startup), but now it seems to do it 70% of the time.

Anyone else experiencing this? Can you open a few pages and scroll through a loaded one normally, or does it scrol further down the page than expected?

Again, this is only using the arrow keys, thumb/stylus movement seems smoother... Using the arrow keys to moe around is my main use case, and this is making it almost useless... not happy
same here. a fan of using scroll keys... the previous scroll was so smooth! now i hv to keep guard lest it scrolls uncontrollably..

other than that, generally the phone is snappier.... font anti-aliasing on browser is also cool!

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Please tell me that shift-up_arrow/shift-down_arrow -> top-of-page/bottom-of-page is new. If yes, way to go Nokia! If no, doh!

New vkb sucks. Looks like I'll be doing my pre-PR 1.1 hack again [crossing fingers].
yes it's new...

yah i noticed the same with my browser. streaming videos now lags as hell even if i oc'ed it to 900mhz (titans) ... thats somehow weird cause someone here in forums posted benchmark results of the browser which showed up more points then in pr.1.1 ... so nokia what have u done with my beloved mobile streaming mashine :/? (no i dont mean pr0n )

Last edited by boxkillor; 2010-05-27 at 10:51.

if you had made selections in a radio box form, the up/down arrow keys will be stuck moving amongst the options of the form. doing a brief touch scrolling won't do the trick.

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I will try to uninstall, delete all settings from adblock, and then reinstall it. It was a bit tricky to get working in the first place...
I simply cannot use the web without adblock. It is a horror. :P
True, but all is not lost :-)

In my experience, using Advoid (or the ad-blocking hosts file from http://www.mvps.org/ , which is the same) works just as well on the N8x0 tablets and the N900, compared to Firefox+Adblock on my desktops.

It has the additional advantages that it does not slow down MicroB, and works with all your browsers if you use several (Tear, Opera, Chrome etc.).

To the guys who experienced better performance after uninstalling adblocking, did you try to reboot first? Or, to rephrase, how quickly after booting did you experience problems?

The reason I am asking is that I read what they said about the PR1.2 delay / microb problem where a process used to crash and restart, but now instead will keep running for days, nibbling memory and slowing down. You specifically said that you killed the browser/browserd processes, that would trigger a faster browser when experiencing the slowdown problem. Regardless of uninstalling anything.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
To the guys who experienced better performance after uninstalling adblocking, did you try to reboot first? Or, to rephrase, how quickly after booting did you experience problems?

The reason I am asking is that I read what they said about the PR1.2 delay / microb problem where a process used to crash and restart, but now instead will keep running for days, nibbling memory and slowing down. You specifically said that you killed the browser/browserd processes, that would trigger a faster browser when experiencing the slowdown problem. Regardless of uninstalling anything.
I tried the experiment several times. Enabled adblock and killed processes. Page would not load correctly. Disabled and killed, Page loaded fine. So there is definitely something screwy going on.

Now that being said I am also experiencing the flash issues others have. Some sites work fine. Others I get loading forever, or fullscreen doesnt go fullscreen. Its strange to say the least.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Or, to rephrase, how quickly after booting did you experience problems?
Immediately. Loads of people posted comments like "I noticed that, and after a reboot it was gone". So I checked my uptime, noticed that I had only booted once since flashing PR1.2 and did a reboot.
I opened the browser as soon as the system had settled down after the boot - the horrible performance was immediate.

I disabled adblock, killed browserd and opened the browser straight away without rebooting in between.

From those two things it's clear in my mind that adblock was responsible, but god knows how given the symptoms (i.e. Xorg running wild).

For what it's worth, I had installed adblock from within microb, not the package manager. Don't know if that has any bearing.