Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Karachi, Pakistan
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
While I can't sit here and say that only positive things can/should be said about the n900, saying this without providing any specific examples is not constructive.

Troll elsewhere.
Haha thanks for that.
Btw this brings me on to an interesting point, any downsides to the N900 you care to mention?
Also a few more questions (sorry, I'm on a student budget and can't mess this purchase up ): does the copy-paste functionality work all across the interface? As in, if I copy something from a text file on one application and want to paste this in the browser, will it work? Basically, does it have a single, universal "clipboard" for all the apps?
And second, do you have to squint while browsing? I'm typing this with my E90 (which has a 800x352 res screen measuring 4") at arm's length and I can still clearly see the screen. Will I have trouble with the N900?

Last edited by hackm0d; 2010-06-09 at 20:37.

Originally Posted by hackm0d View Post
Haha thanks for that.
Btw this brings me on to an interesting point, any downsides to the N900 you care to mention?
If you are in the Midwest (USA) no one will have a clue what an N900 is. So if your battery dies in the middle of an OS update, you're probably toast until you get a second battery. (Yes, this happened to me.)

The USB cable isn't standard micro but it's the same as other Nokias if that matters to you.

Oh - the Nokia updater is way worse than Android's ADB, which is saying a lot. Holding down the U and waiting for the USB symbol before plugging in the cable is ridiculous.

Installing apps via repositories is awkward - especially if you can't remember which one a program is in. But then trying to find anything useful in the Android Market is tedious and time consuming, so it kind of balances out.

Themes take up way too much space so I skip them but that's just me - YMMV.

Terry (buy a backup battery - you won't be sorry)

The Following User Says Thank You to terryowen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by terryowen View Post
If you are in the Midwest (USA) no one will have a clue what an N900 is. So if your battery dies in the middle of an OS update, you're probably toast until you get a second battery. (Yes, this happened to me.)

The USB cable isn't standard micro but it's the same as other Nokias if that matters to you.

Oh - the Nokia updater is way worse than Android's ADB, which is saying a lot. Holding down the U and waiting for the USB symbol before plugging in the cable is ridiculous.

Installing apps via repositories is awkward - especially if you can't remember which one a program is in. But then trying to find anything useful in the Android Market is tedious and time consuming, so it kind of balances out.

Themes take up way too much space so I skip them but that's just me - YMMV.

Terry (buy a backup battery - you won't be sorry)
Oh thanks, I guess there's not much wrong with it tbh, I'm not in the US and every drawer in every house here is filled with a Nokia charger so I have no worries. And I don't think the holding down the U key issue is going to be anything major, so that's okay as well. The installing of apps just shows that I'm not lazy and actually make the effort to look for my apps
So thanks, I guess this is my next device after all. Mind answering the questions in the post you quoted? (I editied it)

I can copy text in the Notes app and paste into the Google search, so I'm guessing yes, for Maemo-optimized programs at least.

I wear bifocals and am fine with the resolution, although I think the system display is kind of on the dark side so I run it brighter than other phones I've had. Maybe another theme would help there.

I sympathize with needing to get the purchase right. I waffled for months about it but I'm happy I did it. It isn't a fantastic phone physically (like apple or sony might design) but it shouldn't disappoint with functionality.

Terry

The Following User Says Thank You to terryowen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Haha thanks for that.
Also a few more questions (sorry, I'm on a student budget and can't mess this purchase up ): does the copy-paste functionality work all across the interface? As in, if I copy something from a text file on one application and want to paste this in the browser, will it work? Basically, does it have a single, universal "clipboard" for all the apps?
And second, do you have to squint while browsing? I'm typing this with my E90 (which has a 800x352 res screen measuring 4") at arm's length and I can still clearly see the screen. Will I have trouble with the N900?

Yes, copy and paste basically works throughout the whole system via ctrl + c and ctrl + v. I find the screen to be excellent personally - even web pages zoomed all the way out are readable most of the time. Plus, the swirl to zoom function works very well. Sometimes I do wish the screen was a little bit bigger, but it seems no device can be perfect

Oh thanks, I guess there's not much wrong with it tbh, I'm not in the US and every drawer in every house here is filled with a Nokia charger so I have no worries. And I don't think the holding down the U key issue is going to be anything major, so that's okay as well. The installing of apps just shows that I'm not lazy and actually make the effort to look for my apps
So thanks, I guess this is my next device after all. Mind answering the questions in the post you quoted? (I editied it)
I think I'm irritated because the 1.2 update changed enough that I had to reinstall many programs. Once the repositories are entered into the phone it isn't that bad but it would be nice to have everything in one place.

Terry

I'm gonna give it to you straight mate. No sugar coating.

If you are not a coder, do not have time to actually learn a great deal or do not have the patience of a camel. Don't get the n900.

If you just want a Nokia. Wait for the N8 or something more polished.

If a jailbreak is released quickly, then get an iPhone 4G hands down.

Otherwise, get an HTC Legend or Desire or Milestone if you want a keyboard.

HTC HD2 is not bad, windows is legacy. but it runs.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by terryowen View Post
Unless you use Androidzoom (http://www.androidzoom.com/) or simply read an article about Android apps. They usually have a scannable QR code. You just browse on your PC, pick up your phone and run a barcode scanner on the screen and BEEP--it brings up the Android Market app with the application. Makes looking for apps and installing them instantly MUCH easier than purely browsing on the phone itself.

Just saying, it doesn't necessarily have to be tedious on the Android. Don't know if the N900 has any similar mechanisms in place.

If you aren't in the US, then that's another plus since the Android and WinMo markets have more restrictions.

And Nokia phones seem to hold on to their value pretty well if you look at eBay.

Terry

Thank you so much for your useful input, everyone. really appreciate it and since this was my first thread I'm impressed as to how nicely everyone acts as a community and this shows of good things to come while I'm here.
Does anyone mind if we pick this up in the morning? It's 2:10am here and I gotta get some shut-eye.