Posts: 87 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Southern California
64gb sounds great, especially if they keep a microSD slot. I am hoping for SDXC but SDHC is fine, too

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
In my opinion AMOLED screens are only imposter for a store. Never seen a single one that satisfied me in bright sunlight. Perhaps we could see well-engineered AMOLED in a few years. But I don't see this at the next device generation. The step would be to big.
S AMOLED is your answer. No difference to my N900.

Biggest problem is the actually lower resolution of it than the told 800x480 on the S AMOLED and in many other AMOLED screens that's starting to show a bit in these 4" screens.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
If they put 64gb I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the micro SD as people seem to be suggesting from the photos.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Colour's look beautiful on AMOLED screens and they are less power hungry, i welcome the move.

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by msa View Post
is that so?
so how come that galaxy s, wave or other 1ghz devices run 10 times longer than the n900?
Ah, they do? And how do you compare that, if I may ask?

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Colour's look beautiful on AMOLED screens and they are less power hungry, i welcome the move.
I have owned couple of AMOLED screened devices (Zune HD, Omnia HD and Galaxy S) and i totally agree. Especially watching HD Avatar from Galaxy S super AMOLED screen is just amazing.
S AMOLED really does fix that sunlight problem, but the problem still is that Samsung probably is not going to give it to Nokia at least not just yet and the pentile screen problem where example Galaxy S screen is calculated to be about 653x392. It might not seem big of a problem and it kind of isn't but you do notice that Galaxy S screen is not as sharp as example N900's screen.

Those things in mind i would prefer something like S-LCD currently, but really i'm sucker for AMOLEDs and if Nokia manages to have one quality AMOLED screen for N9 i'm all for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
The same place where a Nokia tester mentions RM-680 also mentiones RM-660 and, more interestingly, RM-696.

It also specifies the time: April 23rd, 2010 14:18

Make your own conclusions.

Last edited by alexbravo; 2010-08-23 at 23:51.

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
Just a couple yrs ago, the best computers ran on a 532mhz cpu...bigger isn't necessarily better, just look at windows vista.
10+ years ago, maybe

The Following User Says Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:
I like the specs, just wonder why they are moving to snapdragon?

Only way I can see the move, is if it's a dual core processor.

The Following User Says Thank You to bxbomber For This Useful Post:
A number of points people seem to be ignoring:

1. Regarding faster cpus: higher clock rate does not necessarily equal higher power drain. Mobile cpus, including ARM-based ones, are designed to underclock themselves when they aren't doing anything. A 1Ghz cpu will spend very little of its time at 1GHz. Ignoring other differences that affect power usage, a faster cpu will finish tasks faster, thus being able to return to a lower power level sooner, resulting, in most cases, the same net power usage as a slower chip. Obviously, if the cpu is going to be run at a constant full speed for a while, then it will drain more power. Most of the time, however, that is not the case.

Also, the screen is by far the biggest power drain, especially as LCD.

2. The screen resolution of Nexus One & co and what it means for other devices:

Yes, its true that the Nexus One doesn't have a true 800x480 display. That does not, however, mean that all AMOLED screens have to have the crappy, dithering-esque pixel layout.

3. AMOLED vs. LCD vs. SAMOLED: LCD uses much more power because of an always-on backlight. AMOLED is crap in sunlight, but does true black (my Samsung Impression agrees). Also a dark UI will use even less power on AMOLED, because black pixels use no power at all. Super AMOLED takes the benefits of AMOLED and adds sunlight usability. I'm not entirely sure how much of an effect on power usage the "Super" has, but once again, black pixel = no power usage, dark, but not black, pixel = low power usage. Finally, a visual comparison, with linky for more stuff:

Sunlight (left to right: SAMOLED, AMOLED, LCD):

Indoors (LCD, AMOLED, SAMOLED):

Last edited by TheTree; 2010-08-24 at 05:20. Reason: Turned text into image

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheTree For This Useful Post: