Notices

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
Just th throw this out there but Tommi the creator of TwimGo mentioned to me that he might start looking at a Facebook app in QML and also a Foursquare app.

So if you all pleaseeeee message him at his twitter account @tlaukkanen and hey say hi to me too if you like at @colmsmyth

I have started learning some more advanced QML topics lately, and I am using a facebook app as my testing ground. My goal throughout this learning experience is to create a modular facebook app that is easy to maintain and upgrade. I honestly don't know how much work i will put into this, but i also have been waiting for a fb app to show up. So i would expect a reasonable amount of function out of this app before i finish with it.

Until i get things a little more off the ground I won't be creating an official app, but throughout the alpha stages of this app, i welcome anyone to play around with it (or modify it i guess). The source files can be fetched from here:
http://svn.errorok.com/qmlfbui/

I will eventually convert this to a Qt app so that i can implement auto-rotate, but it is pretty low priority at this time. I will probably focus on creating delegates for all the wall item types first.

To run this app, you need a few things. You'll need the qmlviewer and the qml webkit. They are both available on extras-devel. Once you have the source and those dependencies, just run qmlviewer Main.qml.

There is a lot of debugging info printed out right now, so bear with it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pjs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
I have started learning some more advanced QML topics lately, and I am using a facebook app as my testing ground. My goal throughout this learning experience is to create a modular facebook app that is easy to maintain and upgrade. I honestly don't know how much work i will put into this, but i also have been waiting for a fb app to show up. So i would expect a reasonable amount of function out of this app before i finish with it.

Until i get things a little more off the ground I won't be creating an official app, but throughout the alpha stages of this app, i welcome anyone to play around with it (or modify it i guess). The source files can be fetched from here:

I will eventually convert this to a Qt app so that i can implement auto-rotate, but it is pretty low priority at this time. I will probably focus on creating delegates for all the wall item types first.

To run this app, you need a few things. You'll need the qmlviewer and the qml webkit. They are both available on extras-devel. Once you have the source and those dependencies, just run qmlviewer Main.qml.

thanks dude .

can you attach some screen shots for people who dont want to try out just yet ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colm.smyth For This Useful Post:
i have been trying to figure out how to get qmlviewer to record a video of it but I'm having trouble making it record for more than a second. I will try and do a screen shot later today tho. actually, i'll just take one now on my n900. I blurred the images and names, but you should get the UI feel of the app from the screen. the heartbeat message at the bottom is a debug message. every 5 seconds a heartbeat line shows up, and like all other UI log items it sticks around for 1 second then fades away.
Attached Images

good start, great to see someone working on this, one thing if i may request, please try to use the Facebook colours as it will give a sense of officialness.

Also might be better and quicker to base the style of an existing apps such as FB for iPhone or Nokia Social etc...obviously add your own artistic flare ;-)

great work so far, please keep going

i have been trying to figure out how to get qmlviewer to record a video of it but I'm having trouble making it record for more than a second. I will try and do a screen shot later today tho. actually, i'll just take one now on my n900. I blurred the images and names, but you should get the UI feel of the app from the screen. the heartbeat message at the bottom is a debug message. every 5 seconds a heartbeat line shows up, and like all other UI log items it sticks around for 1 second then fades away.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colm.smyth For This Useful Post:
haha i am purely a functional programmer, i have no artistic design abilities. So doubtful i will get the app looking "good" i will probably aim for minimalistic, at least until the app is running reasonably well.

P.S. i intend on making this app skinnable via a javascript file, so eventually the way it looks will be configurable.

Last edited by pjs; 2011-02-21 at 21:46.

Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
Keep going dude, this is a very necessary app, many of us will be truely grateful for a proper facebook app.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlon For This Useful Post:
haha i had a feeling you would say that, i like the skin idea but perhaps as i say copying an existing apps style my just be the best for now.

haha i am purely a functional programmer, i have no artistic design abilities. So doubtful i will get the app looking "good" i will probably aim for minimalistic, at least until the app is running reasonably well.

P.S. i intend on making this app skinnable via a javascript file, so eventually the way it looks will be configurable.

I should make a note here, that when i said skinnable i actually meant themeable. I have no idea how i would be able to skin a QML app. As for the theme, i will layout some standard color identifiers in a single js file, and then it should be fairly simple to theme the app to look like facebook.

The Following User Says Thank You to pjs For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, just shoot me