Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Because we have opinions that differ from yours. I'll criticize something whose initial presentation explicitly states "no root for you." It should be an option, always, even if it's not easy to access. Yet it almost never is, except on hard to get devices. And here it is spreading into the netbook space.
I think the "no root for you" was engadget editorial, not a Google statement. They were referring to Verified boot, which seems to be an option if the hardware supports it. Here's a quote from the Q & A session:

12:12PM Q: I have a laptop running Windows XP and want to install Chrome OS on it. How do I do that? A: If you're comfortable compiling source, you can run it anywhere, but some features including Verified Boot require new hardware that doesn't come on standard PCs

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I think the "no root for you" was engadget editorial, not a Google statement. They were referring to Verified boot, which seems to be an option if the hardware supports it. Here's a quote from the Q & A session:
Well that's just pointing out that if you install it on existing hardware you have to excise the bits that check for a TPM module. Basically, you have to cut the DRM out before it'll work on regular hardware. I imagine that said module is explicitly used to enforce there being "no root for you."

And if it's really leveraging that... good luck rooting it.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Here is a brief preview of the developer CR48 for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/09/g...laptop-preview

Well that's just pointing out that if you install it on existing hardware you have to excise the bits that check for a TPM module. Basically, you have to cut the DRM out before it'll work on regular hardware. I imagine that said module is explicitly used to enforce there being "no root for you."

And if it's really leveraging that... good luck rooting it.
I would imagine that it's not: the answered question mentioned nothing of this, and the chromium OSS project seems not to have a problem with this.

I would bet that Chrome OS adds the 'DRM' to chromium OS upon which its founded.

Because we have opinions that differ from yours. I'll criticize something whose initial presentation explicitly states "no root for you." It should be an option, always, even if it's not easy to access. Yet it almost never is, except on hard to get devices. And here it is spreading into the netbook space.
You obviously don't get it most people would prefer not to worry about security or updates. Most people just want to access facebook or there email without worry and Chrome os provides that. Most people just use there computers to view things, not create things. People don't want to worry about hardware upgrades or anything like that, get it? If you want to stick with traditional os, stick with a traditional os. I will agree Chrome OS is nothing new or special. I wonder what really makes Chrome os that different from say HP Quickweb. I will stick with Ubuntu Netbook remix on my HP Mini 210.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ South Africa
What i can take away form my extensive review of the keyboard is that Chrome OS will be different, well rounded and simplistic. It will take you out of your comfort zone to show you a new way of relating to the world around you.
Debian

I was talking to a friend the other day about Chrome OS, and they exclaimed 'That's BRILLIANT' and then went into a tirade about a use-case at work where they are forced to hop between computers for certain functionality. They also liked the fact that their files and documents would be available from anywere and that they didn't have to worry about installation, upgrading, etc.

Of course, they liked the 'idea' of it, though what remains is whether the implementation will tickle them in the same way.

Having used Chrome and the Chrome Web Store, I can say that it's a really good start (from a user experience standpoint), though not perfect. There still are a lot of apps that are more-or-less website links with little app-like interfaces or integration (ie. openid). And there are still many apps that are missing. But I expect that this will change very quickly as developers explore this new tech.

The one area that I'm curious about is this: While 'cloud' storage is nice, local music/movies is likely a large use-case for users. The question is, will playing a local library be eliminated or needlessly complicated? I can imagine that any number of web-clients can be created to access a remote source quite easily, but I have yet to see any project step in to provide this service.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Most people just want to access facebook or there email without worry and Chrome os provides that.
All other OS's provide that too, going from Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition all the way to Windows 7.
Have you not noticed "most people" also play music on their computers? Or even use it as a base to transport it through different media (like sync to phones and pmps).
If you say you have the option of streaming/downloading your music (or videos) from the cloud, I will just say that is going to consume a lot of data (sparse connections, expensive rates, toll on battery life = wifi/3G). Its just doing an easy task through a more complicated manner.
According to Google, Chrome OS doesn't do that, so for me one of my most basic needs is thrown out the window so I need to look elsewhere.
Besides the only "best" thing about Chrome OS is the browser and that is available on competitor OS's so the choice is even easier.

Remember, MeeGo + Chrome may be suitable for the layman too.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
All other OS's provide that too, going from Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition all the way to Windows 7.
Have you not noticed "most people" also play music on their computers? Or even use it as a base to transport it through different media (like sync to phones and pmps).
If you say you have the option of streaming/downloading your music (or videos) from the cloud, I will just say that is going to consume a lot of data (sparse connections, expensive rates, toll on battery life = wifi/3G). Its just doing an easy task through a more complicated manner.
According to Google, Chrome OS doesn't do that, so for me one of my most basic needs is thrown out the window so I need to look elsewhere.
Besides the only "best" thing about Chrome OS is the browser and that is available on competitor OS's so the choice is even easier.

Remember, MeeGo + Chrome may be suitable for the layman too.
I've recently read that ChromeOS has a facility for accessing files on the FS, so its entirely possible for a music/movie player using an HTML5 application. Of course, these devices are likely not to have much storage as the emphasis is on cloud services, making portable media something of an issue (large bandwidth required).

I'm looking forward to projects that implement music and movie players in the browser that can stream from arbitrary sources (eg. a local server). It would be a good facility for around the house usage and a nice excuse for a central home server with local facilities and mass storage.

It seems like a lot of trouble, but becomes understandable as more and more devices are connected in the home. With a setup similar to this it would be easy to push media to your TV, laptops, tablets or phone, without needing to manually move around files.

Y'know, I think this is good. What this does is create a "lowest common denominator" for new users that's -better- than windows -- and that includes being locked down.
Provided Google provides a hardware switch(or cheap module) that allows rooting, Google will have acomplished two goals:
1. Newbs(and noobs) who are technically illiterate won't be able to screw things up. They also won't be able to do -everything-, and will be forced to actually learn in order to do things outside the nominal scope of Chrome OS.
2. Technically literate people will be able to modify it however they want, provided they care and can do the research to figure out how.
This will end up creating a slightly larger divide over the next few years - People who want things to just work will have it work; systems administrators won't need to worry about their users breaking stuff as much.

Now, if it was anyone -but- google doing this, I'd be afraid for the future - Google, however, has the smarts to think long term for their stratigies, and as such aren't -quite- as dangerous as, say, Microsoft or the MPAA are.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Tags
awesome sauce, chrome os, chromebook, go away, long and boring, oh yeah!, quite enough, talking2myself, webgl, yaaaaaaaaaaawwn