Notices

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Innit. I'd rather be picked on by the Police than gun wielding baddies who will shoot you dead for your watch.....or something.
okay you win, lets all live in a police state, no freedom for anyone means no freedom for baddies! yay!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Good idea for an app, it would serve multiple uses.

I'm glad to live in Australia, our cops aren't that far gone just yet. After seeing the Wikileaks drama its pretty obvious America is almost as locked down as China and heading down the same path starting wth the police.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaimex2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
okay you win, lets all live in a police state, no freedom for anyone means no freedom for baddies! yay!
Since when Police == No Freedom?
You ARE aware of the fact that because of the police (well, in most democratic countries that is) you can walk to the grocery store, buy some stuff and return to your home with a very high probability that you'll be safe?
Why won't you go and try doing that in Nigeria for example? I bet that after a short while, you'll drastically change your mind about how close to you you'd want the police to be...

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Uh oh, here come the straw men.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Researches has shown that the best way to fend off rapists and draw people's attention to help you - is actually scream "fire!"
Just FYI
If you carry an overclocked N900 in a tight pocket, there may well be a fire.

My website

GitHub

Since when Police == No Freedom?
You ARE aware of the fact that because of the police (well, in most democratic countries that is) you can walk to the grocery store, buy some stuff and return to your home with a very high probability that you'll be safe?
Why won't you go and try doing that in Nigeria for example? I bet that after a short while, you'll drastically change your mind about how close to you you'd want the police to be...
I think you'll find that the police are very close to citizens in Nigeria. They're usually there to prevent the people from rebelling against the living conditions forced upon them so that multi-national corporations can extract natural resources for massive profit.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I think you'll find that the police are very close to citizens in Nigeria. They're usually there to prevent the people from rebelling against the living conditions forced upon them so that multi-national corporations can extract natural resources for massive profit.
Alright, then replace 'Nigeria' with another name of a country which is in a state of governing havoc, such as Congo or whatever

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I think the first sentence above makes no sense. To the extent it does make sense, it insults every citizen of Nigeria.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think the first sentence above makes no sense. To the extent it does make sense, it insults every citizen of Nigeria.
I meant close in the physical sense. As in an overbearing presence.

My website

GitHub

Alright, then replace 'Nigeria' with another name of a country which is in a state of governing havoc, such as Congo or whatever
The same applies in most such countries. The appearance of lawlessness is not due to lack of policing. It is due to corruption within the police, the military and the political classes.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
saturn in, uranus