Active Topics

No, Nokia didn't say they are bringing phones to the next billion, they're bringing internet to the next billion. Internet capable phones.

Like Tomi quoted:
"Nokia is putting in place the pieces to capture the next one billion users who connect to the internet, many of whom will be in the SouthEast Asian Region." (Related: Nokia press release at same event: Nokia the company "Announces continued support for Qt as part of ‘next billion’ strategy.")
See? Next billion: Internet, Qt.

Anyway, I love Ahonens blog, but I have to agree - those aren't really contradictions. Strongest holds does not equal biggest market, transition period does not equal support period, etc. He's missing the facets of the statements.

Last edited by volt; 2011-06-25 at 11:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Not exactly S40 is on average between 100-150e

There is lowest category, which is around 20-30e (you might have never seen such device). This is what sells on Africa and some of the Asia.
Lowest category = S30. Those devices are also sold e.g. in Finland (older people appreciate simplicity). You can recognize S30 device by looking UI (it's overly simple) and lacking features.

Future S40 = Qt+SwipeUI+1ghz hw

Dear Stephen,

I have to say: I'm a big fan. Having someone in the drivers seat of Nokia who really understands modern software and ecosystems is exactly what the boys in Espoo need. You seem like a guy who loves gadgets. Although I appreciate OPK as a business savvy number-cruncher, I couldn't see that he really really loved the things the company made. The burden also on your shoulders is not an easy one - making Nokia great again would be one of the most legendary turnarounds in modern industrial history. And I totally support the decision to phase out Symbian and place a bet on WinPhone instead. Anyone who dares to defy that should use the N97 mini for a week or two.

But this MeeGo thing, I do not understand. The thing is, once hope dies, there's nothing left.

http://blog.juuso.me/2011/06/open-le....html?spref=tw

The Following User Says Thank You to larux For This Useful Post:
microsoft won't buy nokia, I think that is just ******** from eldars side. Somehow he still seems to have sources inside nokia but his tweets essentially predict everything and nothing.

Yeah, it's impossible to know what to think of Eldar's tweets. If nothing else they are entertaining. Dsmobile, who has contacts at Nokia and hinted heavily about N9 for months, said at Mobile-Review-forum that Eldar latest tweets are not true. Of course fights inside Nokia don't escape that easily to outsiders so it's impossible to know what's happening at the moment.

Even if I can't say that I hate Elop I still wouldn't mind him leaving. WP-only future is not to my liking.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
So the deal is; now the N9 is just a very sexy Zombie.
Zombies are awesome.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
This. Seriously I doubt I even read half of it before closing the tab, none of these are contradictions at all. Anyone who things otherwise really needs to get their eyes checked. Just like anyone who thinks there really is an "Elopcalypse" should walk on down to their local psych ward, tin foil hat in hand.
Some are contradictions, some are not, some are iffy.

And your broad slam on everyone using the term "elopocalypse" is just as misguided. In its simplest form, it just refers to the February announcement that stunned the Nokia developer community and sent the NOK stock off a cliff.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Found this from twitter. Why to tease if decisions are already done. Grrr.

jphelminen Juha-Pekka Helminen
#N9 is really nice, but Ilmatar device protos were even nicer with Intel chips. WP7 strategy will produce great devices too.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Some are contradictions, some are not, some are iffy.

And your broad slam on everyone using the term "elopocalypse" is just as misguided. In its simplest form, it just refers to the February announcement that stunned the Nokia developer community and sent the NOK stock off a cliff.
It's hard to justify making rational counterarguments to a bunch of raving Linux fans, I might as well be equally sensationalist. At the very least it's more fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
It's hard to justify making rational counterarguments to a bunch of raving Linux fans...

Here's a thought: don't.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Tags
elop is nero, elopocalypse, king tomi, nero fiddling