Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
It's still too early days for me to give a good estimate on the battery life. Part of the problem in estimating is that I'm often plugged in by the USB cable to do development testing, and the device is charging then.

But as an early estimate I'd say the battery life is for a smarthpne quite good. It seems that it can easily handle a days normal usage (and possible more, too early to say), including (in my case) quite much WWW browsing, photo taking, and the normal syncing of mails/feeds + sms messaging.

One more thing I'll say, that the screen is very good. I keep brightness at minimum, which probably helps battery life. Even with minimum brightness I have no trouble reading the screen in full sun light.

Terminal is included by default in these devices, probably because they are developer devices. As far as I've understood, N9 does not have terminal installed by default, but it's easily installed from package manager. Personally I don't much use the terminal from the device directly, I rather connect the device to computer and ssh into it. Much easier that way to do stuff.
can u put the brightness on standard and use it without charging to see how lasting the battery is?
plus i read that the new varients have around 1gb ram and stuff, which varient are you using?
and well.. i personally like xterm and filebox and leafpad to do the usual stuff.. and i dun think ssh and replace the xterm.. alotta features like mounting partitions from mmc *if multiple partitions exist*.. *i'm a noob so i can be wrong *

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I've had the device now for 4 full days. The more I use it the more I love using it. It's a very well thought out UX, and the device itself is great. Multitasking is a pleasure.

Frankly I don't use the hardware keyboard at all.
So what you are saying is when I win the Nokia N9 (Nokia Sweden) competition, the lack of keyboard will not be an issue. I hope so.
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
can u put the brightness on standard and use it without charging to see how lasting the battery is?
plus i read that the new varients have around 1gb ram and stuff, which varient are you using?
and well.. i personally like xterm and filebox and leafpad to do the usual stuff.. and i dun think ssh and replace the xterm.. alotta features like mounting partitions from mmc *if multiple partitions exist*.. *i'm a noob so i can be wrong *
The device I have has 1GB ram + swap, according to "free -m". I think only early prototypes could have less, the devkits that have been sent around should have 1GB.

The battery will be tested better when my holidays are over, in a couple of weeks. Right now as I'm on holiday I will use sporadically my time to do some stuff with it when family life allows it. When I get back to work I will have better chance to see how full battery in the morning lasts to the evening.

But I will remind that the N9 has larger battery than the development device, so this can only give some rough idea.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
So what you are saying is when I win the Nokia N9 (Nokia Sweden) competition, the lack of keyboard will not be an issue. I hope so.
It's not an issue for me, but YMMV. I would claim it's just a matter what you're used to before. If you're used to using hw keyboard it'll probably take a little bit more time to get accustomed to using the vkbd.

Both virtual keyboard and hardware keyboard are frustrating to use compared to full desktop keyboard. For me, on this device, using the virtual keyboard felt easier than using the hardware keyboard.

I'd only consider using the hardware keyboard when doing some longer hacking in the terminal, if I had a table to put the device on during that time. But as I'm usually on the move when using the phone, the virtual keyboard feels more practical. And I find it very good implementation.

EDIT: and I hope you win the N9 and can post some impressions here! I'm eager to get my hands on one too, especially knowing how the curved glass changes the feeling of using the device. N950 has flat screen.

Last edited by ajalkane; 2011-07-18 at 23:37.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
how's the battery life?
With a constant wifi connection and updating 3 e-mail and 1 facebook account every couple of hours + some light use (reading the mail as it arrives and browing through facebook entries), it can stay on for a little bit more than a day.
Haven't tested much with cellular connection, but that seems a lot worse.

and oh, is xterm included?
Yes.

whats the profile to get one? just being a developer?

i am learing QT quick.. slowly.

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
omg, are you guys confirming that vkb on capacitive screen is actually.... usable?
mainly because task switching has become so easy. with N900 the quickest way was ctrl + backspace, but a single swipe is easier...

even still, there are many occasions when osk is not usable at all, you either have hwkb or don't use your phone.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Does that mean the virtual keyboard is very good, or the sliding mechanism very bad?
it is best that I won't comment the mechanism but as you can see from the photos, the movement is more complicated. there is no big difference to n900 when you get used to it, it is only easier when you keep your phone portrait so you can for example switch apps single handed and there is no need to rotate to landscape, open keyboard etc. doing same with harmattan means at least two taps to opposite corners of the screen when using the browser for example...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by laasonen View Post
The VKB is maybe little bit more usable than N900's, but not good.
so what is bad about it (currently)?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
BTW, if you swipe horizontally within Terminal, it changes color scheme. In N950 it cycles through green on black, black on white yellow, and white on black.

http://gitorious.org/meego-terminal/...et.cpp#line242

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 review, troll >, who cares.