Active Topics

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I'm suggesting that we aggressively look at moving what we can off of Nokia paid servers as soon as possible. If that means the forums (as the most insignificant part per Jaffa) first, then let's do it.
Forums are not running on the main maemo.org infra, but instead hosted by Reggie together with the MeeGo forums.

But anyway, there is no reason to panic. We know the deadline for a migration, and there is plenty of time to do a planned migration. This would preferably be coordinated by the Council sometime next year.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69
Yes, maybe, but that involves converting maemo.org into a non-profit organization and then running it, which is possible, but goes far beyond a forum. And, can Council do such a thing on their own initiative? I think this is a major step which needs validation by the community membership through an election or some other method.
That's exactly what I think should happen. I also agree that we should not start doing it "here-and now", without any preparation. Still, if we're sure that we'll get bills covered for at least year, when should we start, to eventually convert before "hour zero"? Do You think that, if community is still vibrant after 6 months, another 6 months are enough to organize everything?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I'm suggesting that we aggressively look at moving what we can off of Nokia paid servers as soon as possible. If that means the forums (as the most insignificant part per Jaffa) first, then let's do it. [...]
So, there's someone saying "here's some money to host the servers" to Reggie; and you're suggesting he says "no, thank you"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
That's exactly what I think should happen. I also agree that we should not start doing it "here-and now", without any preparation. Still, if we're sure that we'll get bills covered for at least year, when should we start, to eventually convert before "hour zero"? Do You think that, if community is still vibrant after 6 months, another 6 months are enough to organize everything?
I personally don't think 6 months is enough to start and complete the conversion to a non-profit organization, or at least it wouldn't be my preference to procrastinate, betting on it being enough time. And we're not sure we have bills covered for at least a year for any thing more than maintenance. This is what we've been told but corporate strategies in the mobile industry can change quickly and unexpectedly. The six month cycle for maemo.org voting comes up in September so that will probably be when we decide what to do.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I suggest you reread my response. My point was a community exists through common values and shared experiences. The discussion of Android in those threads is based on the people's experiences of Maemo and Nokia. Not that all threads are about Maemo & Nokia.

And it's been pointed out that running the forum is one of the smallest parts of that cost.
It needs to be said, "fair enough"... and well said. That is true. I eagerly await your next decisions/moves. So long as things are tied to Nokia and remains Maemo oriented, I don't foresee much of a future despite CSSU and community efforts, thanks to the way Nokia kept things so closed and tight to the vest with opening things up, despite comments to the contrary. But again, I guess I'll sit back and watch and see if I'm right. I favor this move to tie with the Meego.org site but it still seems a little myopic right now... but if more manufacturers build for it and don't do the Nokia thing, we might finally get what we wanted.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have always been unclear how this site is controlled, and probably will continue to be. I remember when some obscure entity was mentioned as the one with the final say, and I asked what happened if he was hit by a bus, and found out that "he" was a company!

So I don't know whether we are talking to a power in this thread, or just a symbol of power. It's right out of Kafka, to me.

Maybe this site could issue a "Declaration of Independence" and request funding from ALL phone/tablet/itsy-bitsy device manufacturers, much in the way that third world countries used to blackmail the great powers into giving aid?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Yes, with time. The group maintaining the repositories, Nemein, is currently quite busy rolling out the community OBS and app store for MeeGo.
If lack of time is holding it up, maybe the community can help? This isn't really rocket science, if we had a small sample (say, a day's worth of logs) we could put something together quickly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
We know the deadline for a migration, and there is plenty of time to do a planned migration.
So it is a firm deadline this time? If so, what is going to happen with the nokia.com repositories? Is there a firm commitment to keep them running and supported for longer, or hould we all start making local mirrors before they disappear?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
So, there's someone saying "here's some money to host the servers" to Reggie; and you're suggesting he says "no, thank you"?
Actually, yes. I know that kind of thought may shock some people, but free money isn't always a good thing. Ever hear of the saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch"?

I'm not saying he should do it tomorrow, I'm saying he should do it before Nokia says "Oh, by the way, the power gets turned off tomorrow".

There are thousands upon thousands of businesses that are no longer around because they chose to milk the free money as long as they could, put off planning, put off moving on to other opportunities, etc. Why? Who turns down free money, what are we stupid? In the end, yes they were stupid. Easier to get weaned off the money now while it's flowing rather that when it stops.

I seem to recall (and may be wrong), but only a couple of months ago, it seemed like we were sure Nokia was going to pay the bills for the foreseeable future, probably a couple years. Now we're down to at least a year, and next quarter may bring 6 months. Given the current climate, I'd expect the money to run out sooner rather than later.

But, in the end, I'm just some random guy offering my 2 cents. Plan or don't plan, wait, don't wait, no skin off my nose.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Actually, yes. I know that kind of thought may shock some people, but free money isn't always a good thing. Ever hear of the saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch"?

I'm not saying he should do it tomorrow, I'm saying he should do it before Nokia says "Oh, by the way, the power gets turned off tomorrow".

There are thousands upon thousands of businesses that are no longer around because they chose to milk the free money as long as they could, put off planning, put off moving on to other opportunities, etc. Why? Who turns down free money, what are we stupid? In the end, yes they were stupid. Easier to get weaned off the money now while it's flowing rather that when it stops.

I seem to recall (and may be wrong), but only a couple of months ago, it seemed like we were sure Nokia was going to pay the bills for the foreseeable future, probably a couple years. Now we're down to at least a year, and next quarter may bring 6 months. Given the current climate, I'd expect the money to run out sooner rather than later.

But, in the end, I'm just some random guy offering my 2 cents. Plan or don't plan, wait, don't wait, no skin off my nose.
Just because they are staying on servers paid by Nokia doesn't mean that the council isn't making plans for life without Nokia.

Also, as Jaffa says, there needs to be a sustainable plan for such a move. Right now, I don't know if there is a way forward considering that Maemo is getting toward EOL. Certainly as an independent entity, TMO might very well be done in the near future, particularly as others on this forum move on to greener pastures.

The question would be, who could we team up with to provide the functionality which we enjoy currently? Would it make sense to merge with Meego.com? Some other organization?

That being said, all things come to an end eventually, and so will Maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down