Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
and who really cares about all that when you look at the fact that amd SoCs beat intels 20+% per clock
I care, and I suppose most of people with brain care also. when You compare possibilities that You have with open parts of the system, with miserable 20% of performance (if it's real, because there is no such things as linear "better" performance in every aspect), you can put your 20% into Your | and smoke it.

To make things clear - I love many things around - for example - armel, especially performance/power usage ratio. Yet, if any manufacturer pops-up (quite unlikely to happen) with completely open (software side) SoC, I'll welcome it with warm heart, even if I would need to carry 12V car accu with me to power it.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Dont get me wrong, I care also, but in this case AMD open source drivers will get better over time, but hardvare in your intel based device won't, and I dont buy a device every two months, it must last for a couple of years, so GMA loses big time here (and amd cpu drivers have never been an issue for me and im using linux for 10 years now...)

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
even if I would need to carry 12V car accu with me to power it.
This statement highly contradicts all your previous statement(s) that you basically want the N900 "to do everything in one box" and not using dedicated devices with possible better performance (as in camcorder, dedicated IR cam etc.) and their own battery.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
Dont get me wrong, I care also, but in this case AMD open source drivers will get better over time, but hardvare in your intel based device won't, and I dont buy a device every two months, it must last for a couple of years, so GMA loses big time here (and amd cpu drivers have never been an issue for me and im using linux for 10 years now...)
Sure, but I'm sure that a medfield phone will perform better than a fusion phone, if only because it doesn't need a fan.
Seriously, there are no sign of AMD chips with a thermal envellope compatible with phone or small tablet usage, whereas there are intel ones (with, again, perf and consumption comparable to current arm chips). simple as that.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
X11 + GLESv2/EGL drivers for it and glibc, I would take that phone in a heartbeat if it was hackable..
Yep. Vendors: make a hackable Linux based devices and I'll buy. I have enough semi-useless locked down devices already so not going to buy those anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Sure, but I'm sure that a medfield phone will perform better than a fusion phone, if only because it doesn't need a fan.
Seriously, there are no sign of AMD chips with a thermal envellope compatible with phone or small tablet usage, whereas there are intel ones (with, again, perf and consumption comparable to current arm chips). simple as that.
so? we are talking about a hipotethical device, why not let my imagination go wild :P
and there is no sane person that can imagine a decent intel gpu(which is used for much more than gaming today) :P

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
"Tizen will provide a robust and flexible environment for application developers, based on HTML5 and Wholesale Applications Community (WAC). With HTML5's robust capabilities and cross platform flexibility, it is rapidly becoming the preferred development environment for mobile apps and services. The Tizen SDK and API will allow developers to use HTML5 and related web technologies to write applications that run across multiple device segments, including smartphone, tablet, smart TV, in-vehicle infotainment, and netbook."
HTML5 is mentioned here 3 times to many for me to ever even look at this OS seriously
where are the good old days when programers had to write everything directly in machine code...i would ban everything higher than assembler...

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-01-11 at 21:23.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
This statement highly contradicts all your previous statement(s) that you basically want the N900 "to do everything in one box" and not using dedicated devices with possible better performance (as in camcorder, dedicated IR cam etc.) and their own battery.
Hey, batteries doesn't count I can solder 4 Li-Pos to get 12V - or, prepare 6 sets like this and embedded them between layers of my coat/ under the hat
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

i wonder what that home button does? hopefully it does real-time multitasking, doesnt seem like it

Last edited by m4r0v3r; 2012-01-12 at 00:37.