Active Topics

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Would you please answer if you are familiar with the current problems regarding the state of maemo repositories, the state of Fremantle CSSU, etc. I am asking, because if you are not, I would ask the Council to enlighten you ASAP, and if you are, would you throw some light on what you plan to do to. kernel-power problem is an example. Single maintainer for CSSU repositories hosted on maemo.org is another.
It seems that what's missing (I assume it's missing, or those of us "out of touch" would have been pointed to it already ;-)) is an equivalent of the old task backlog. These used to be maintained in the wiki - but that was a bit heavyweight. I seem to remember posting a proposal for using Bugzilla for task tracking (with some embedded reports in the wiki to act as a focal point), but that'd require some digging over my last 7 years of Maemo community contributions! ;-)

This backlog should have a list of tasks which the community needs doing, prioritised in the council meetings and in collaboration with the people involved (CSSU team, Nemein, ...), and who is going to do it - if anyone. A task should also list the stakeholders, or the council member who will help facilitate. It should also link to a wiki page for more background/coordination on the task.

But please, don't take my question as being offensive, it think it is really important to be known whether the Nokia contact with Maemo Community and especially the part who owns n900 and does not plan a switch until the lady falls apart, cares about the only OS which is fully functional and problem free (almost) so far on n900.
The Maemo community got a big influx of users with the N900, but don't forget the N8x0 users or even 770 users. This fixation on "Fremantle is everything" is as exclusionary as "ohnoes, Harmattan is taking over".

Personally, I find the forum too hard to follow in my limited spare time (which was one of the drivers to establish the aforementioned MWKN Weekly News - unfortunately, not many of the other people who do read TMO religiously are posting links). However, perhaps one of the actions on the above backlog - looking for a champion - would be to start a nice, transparent, open discussion about whether another forum reorganisation would help. Harmattan discussions are happening here, let's accept them and make sure things are well structured. They may be already :-)

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
It seems that what's missing (I assume it's missing, or those of us "out of touch" would have been pointed to it already ;-)) is an equivalent of the old task backlog. These used to be maintained in the wiki - but that was a bit heavyweight. I seem to remember posting a proposal for using Bugzilla for task tracking (with some embedded reports in the wiki to act as a focal point), but that'd require some digging over my last 7 years of Maemo community contributions! ;-)

This backlog should have a list of tasks which the community needs doing, prioritised in the council meetings and in collaboration with the people involved (CSSU team, Nemein, ...), and who is going to do it - if anyone. A task should also list the stakeholders, or the council member who will help facilitate. It should also link to a wiki page for more background/coordination on the task.

The Maemo community got a big influx of users with the N900, but don't forget the N8x0 users or even 770 users. This fixation on "Fremantle is everything" is as exclusionary as "ohnoes, Harmattan is taking over".

Personally, I find the forum too hard to follow in my limited spare time (which was one of the drivers to establish the aforementioned MWKN Weekly News - unfortunately, not many of the other people who do read TMO religiously are posting links). However, perhaps one of the actions on the above backlog - looking for a champion - would be to start a nice, transparent, open discussion about whether another forum reorganisation would help. Harmattan discussions are happening here, let's accept them and make sure things are well structured. They may be already :-)
You are right about the question that Harmattan discussions are happening here at TMO and I agree that better collaboration between Harmattan and Fremantle users will be welcomed.

But we, the Fremantle users are facing lots of problems related to administration of repositories, OBS, package promotion, etc, and the Council (SD69) and CSSU members are pushing to fix these issues without receiving even an answer in some occasions.

All those questions are not affecting Harmattan users who are, precisely, the ones that have moved away from Maemo.org. And now the next Council needs more administrative privileges in the Maemo infrastructure to be able to fix any of them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post

I don't see how this answers my question to qgil.

I can't take care of N770 and N8x0 users, after all if they have some questions they are free to ask them, but don't expect me to be their advocate. Everything or not, Fremantle is the only usable OS for n900 so far. And please, don't put words in my mouth, I've never said "Harmattan is taking over".

Again, I am not saying anything about Harmattan, my questions are Fremantle related

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I don't see how this answers my question to qgil.
I'm thinking Quim is the best person to answer questions directed at him, anyway.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
About the focus of my work at maemo.org:

Discussion and collaboration between open source users and developers. The release, feedback, release process is something that app stores don't really give you. Here a developer knows that chances to get testers and feedback are higher (especially when something is broken).

The community support and gadget chit chat comes as a consequence of the above and adds a unique spice to this community.

Better understanding and connection with neighbor and upstream projects would help too. For instance, there are Qt developer releasing SDK and libraries for Android, maybe they could find here users willing to try and report? Or PhoneGap apps runing in Harmattan. Or...

As much as I believe in users and developers, I don't believe in 'Fremantle' (or any other attribute) users and developers. One day you change of software, hardware or.both - and you are still the same. A commu.ity invests in people, a vision and a goal. The tighter you link this to a specific product, version, etc, the higher your chances are of becoming obsolete in this fast evolving context. I'd say push all your Maemo 5 and N900 love but don't stop anybody sharing a vision, a goal, a sympathy.

I have helped in the past clarifying why Nokia does the things it does, and pointing out areas where Nokia won't put more time or resources. As much as people can get upset hearing news like these I will continue bringing them as the best and most useful thing I can do for you. This js not a perfect world, resources are limited, proprietary software is proprietary for a reason, etc.

I guess that sums it.up. As usual, I'm open to suggestions and critique for improvement.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Send me a N950 and all is forgiven...

Just lightening up the mood some...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
True, another thing I did was to seed devices. I'm happy discussing about that as well. How should we go about this is something to be discussed in a separate thread. The idea could be: show us your apps and your plan to have them published. I don't think we can find N950s anymore but N9 and even Nokia 808 PureView (for those willing to expand on Symbian) should be doable.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Don't get me wrong but this will lowere the low ammount of developers for N900 which sadly after 3 yeras has no successor...

How about some source code?

Just replying to the above:

- The same argument was given by some N810 users when we were seeding N900s. It's a cyclic discussion. In the meantime we get many requests from developers to get their hands in fresh devices - and it is our work to make sure that developers with interesting apps get them polished and published. We got a new round of devices for developer seeding and I consider this as good news.

- Nokia won't publish more Fremantle source code. I don't think it will publish more Harmattan source code either. Now you have teams working in open development directly in upstream projects and teams working in closed development inside Nokia teams - minimizing the effect of "throwing code over the wall" as much as possible.

This thread is about the Council election, if you want to discuss other community topics please use own threads in the Community forum.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down