Active Topics

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Or some of you could get off your asses and port what you want yourself?
C'mon man. That's not really very nice is it? I'd like Nethack to work on OS2008 but I've got no idea how. I'm not a coder. I'm guessing most people here aren't either.

Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
C'mon man. That's not really very nice is it? I'd like Nethack to work on OS2008 but I've got no idea how. I'm not a coder. I'm guessing most people here aren't either.
Compiling is actually fairly easy. For the most part it comes down to "./configure;make;make install," but the corner cases can be really tough. I looked at the source tarball for nethack-console and quickly decided it was beyond my limited powers at this time!

I've been able to compile most of the console tools I need though.

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I looked at the source tarball for nethack-console and quickly decided it was beyond my limited powers at this time!
There's actually source code available for the GTK version I was using. I'm guessing it's the GTK parts that are stopping it from working on OS2008. Sadly I doubt a simple recompile will do the trick.

It's here if anyone with mad coding skillz and some spare time fancies playing the greatest game ever in OS2008

http://n770galaxy.blogspot.com/

Cruel fate strikes again. I've just installed scratchbox intending to have a go at seeing if fixing Nethack is a simple recompile when I find out I'm out of luck unless I recompile my kernel. It seems Fedora 8's stock kernel is missing compat VDSO support and sadly my devotion to Nethack doesn't extend as far as recompiling my kernel. Ah well. Maybe in the future.

Go here: http://packages.debian.org/stable/games/nethack-common

Download the source packages to a directory:
* [nethack_3.4.3-10.1.dsc]
* [nethack_3.4.3.orig.tar.gz]
* [nethack_3.4.3-10.1.diff.gz]

Start scratchbox and cd to that directory, run:

dpkg-source -x nethack_3.4.3-10.1.dsc

cd into the resultant nethack_3.4.3[-10.1] directory (I'm guessing the name here)

Try running this:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

If it complains about debhelper version then edit ./debian/compat and change it to a 4, if it complains about other missing deps then you can either add a -f to the above command line to force it (but it may not work) or make sure you install whatever's missing.

Either way, start a new thread to let us know how you get on as this is now very truely off topic. IRC is the other option.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
If I could actually get scratchbox to work without recompiling my kernel I'd rather get the already ported Maemo version working rather than reinvent the wheel and start from scratch with the base version.

(See here http://n770galaxy.blogspot.com/ )

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Compiling is actually fairly easy. For the most part it comes down to "./configure;make;make install," but the corner cases can be really tough. I looked at the source tarball for nethack-console and quickly decided it was beyond my limited powers at this time!

I've been able to compile most of the console tools I need though.
Jeff, you'll want to use "./configure && make && make install" instead of what you have listed because && makes sure that the previous command ended without error before jumping to the next command in the sequence. Running make install when make failed doesn't make much sense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Jeff, you'll want to use "./configure && make && make install" instead of what you have listed because && makes sure that the previous command ended without error before jumping to the next command in the sequence. Running make install when make failed doesn't make much sense.
Thanks for the tip. I've been omitting "make install" and scp'ing the binaries to my N800. This weekend I'm going to try to create some debs and set up a personal repository on my website. I did this in the past for the Zaurus, but it's been awhile and I'm very rusty!

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
For those in this thread who were among the first to update their N800's to OS2008, thank you for being pioneers.

For future upgraders, I would like to suggest a minor change to the procedures. I have tested this and it works.

-- For step 6 in the instructions, the first flash command after you connect the N800,
sudo ./flasher-3.0 --enable-rd-mode is NOT needed.
It puts the N800 into "R&D mode", but that is not necessary for this procedure. Just skip that one.

If you have already issued that flash command, then when you complete the steps your N800 will still be in "R&D mode". It is not strictly necessary, but if you want to turn off R&D mode you'll need to use the flasher program one more time with the command:
sudo ./flasher-3.0 --disable-rd-mode

I have updated this information in the other thread:
How to put OS2008 on N800.... now!
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11693

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

Today is Friday, has the 2008 OS firmware been released yet?

Regards Robert