Active Topics

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
In daily use, I found the battery life to be comparable to N9, maybe a little better.
Probably future upgrades will improve this. In some rare cases Alien Dalvik might wreak havoc. You'll notice this when your device gets warm and the battery level drops noticeably fast. A reboot or restarting the aliendalvik.service fixes this, though.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Any thoughts about reception quality? I know it's probably the hardest thing to do objectively, but a rough comparison with a previous device would do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
@w00t
As long(er) time Jolla phone user - can you please share with us your real-life experiences with battery operating times?
And if you sailors are continuing working in optimizing OS power consumption performance?
Hard for me to judge proper lifetime personally because at least half the day, I'm plugged into USB while working on device. But I haven't had too many problems outside contacts/android related areas.

Rest assured, we are still working on things though

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by att View Post
Command failed: This tool could not find any available package: could not find powertop
Sorry. Add a 'pkcon refresh' after the 'ssu ar mer-tools'

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
In daily use, I found the battery life to be comparable to N9, maybe a little better.
Probably future upgrades will improve this. In some rare cases Alien Dalvik might wreak havoc. You'll notice this when your device gets warm and the battery level drops noticeably fast. A reboot or restarting the aliendalvik.service fixes this, though.
Ok now i want "the otherhalf" battery- i want to charge my phone no more than once a week with heavy usage!
This is the main thing that i dislike on the modern smartphones- you have to charge them almost constantly and when you need them most they die qnd you need to charge tbem again!

Barnabas Collins

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kollin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Keeping location setting OFF seems to make battery lifetime feasible. When I enable location, there is GPS icon blinking all the time and battery draining is significant. From 100 % to shutdown in 8 hours.

GPS on and looking for satellites all the time?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Penguin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Sigh, I so want to continue following this & related threads, & read/contribute_to the recently established "community brain dumps".
But, I've got so much going on lately that I simply MUST tune out from all Jolla/Sailfish/maemo.org related reading for approx. 4wks, maybe more.
If anyone sees me before then, even if I'm only "lurking", feel free to chastise me & exclaim that I have no will power.
For those that can afford to stick around, enjoy the ride/show, & seasons well wishes...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-11-29 at 10:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Any thoughts about reception quality? I know it's probably the hardest thing to do objectively, but a rough comparison with a previous device would do.
Better than my N9. Call quality is good too and louder (I don't think i am alone in finding the N9 quite quiet).

The best thing I can say is that I have not noticed connectivity to be an issue, be that phone or WLANs. It worked well on the Norwegian flight wi fi when my android tablet would not.

Best thing i can say is I do not notice it, certainly not an issue I have had yet. Never seen the device out of range yet!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kollin View Post
You need to install pciutils and modutils usbutils !

And then please run:

Code:
lspci -k
lsmod 
lsub
Edit: Why those packages are not included by default in the "development mode", they are very basic diagnostic tools?
Edit2: usbutils
Installed pciutils but lspci -k doesn't show anything, sorry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by kollin View Post
Ok now i want "the otherhalf" battery- i want to charge my phone no more than once a week with heavy usage!
This is the main thing that i dislike on the modern smartphones- you have to charge them almost constantly and when you need them most they die qnd you need to charge tbem again!
that's exactly, why i love a replacable battery. just buy a second one and plug it in, when the first one runs out of power... great!

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience