Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Hardware was never the problem. Android hardware isn't really special either.

Lets see, with mango I still:

cannot use phone as a usb drive.
no tethering (wtf, is that true?)
no bluetooth file transfer (?)
offline maps?

i think meego does all this. Besides that I see several fundamental mistakes in the wp7 UI which scare away conservative consumers, and believe me consumers are conservative.

Meego Harmattan still has more familiar elements despite the swipe UI. E.g. editable apps grid (iphone), drill-down and tabs navigation (iphone and android), expandable status bar (android and iphone somehow), notification screen (iphone) etc.
A combination of unfinished OS, poor hardware (terrible quality) and the US "market" was the problem.

It is only during the last 12 months that Android has gotten traction, the last 9 is probably more correct. The number one reason is Samsung Galaxy. A true flagship that steams ahead pulling the others. Another reason is Samsung TouchViz UI that shields the average user from the total bull that Android is. Then of course HTC has something to say as well, and a few other successful devices like the X10 mini.

IMO the N9 will be extremely successful. It will be a hit, a cult item even.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
this is redally bad news for Google Android too

looks like were bad in monopoly land in some year

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-has...aidnokia-deal/
I dont get this....
There was story similar to this @mynokiablog the other day.
But it made no mention of MS benefiting...
It said MOSAID would get 1/3, & Nokia the rest.
Why the hell does MS also profit from Nokia's IP?

Surely it can't be due to the money MS paid them as part of the Feb deal?
So much has already been ceded, I don't recall a massive chunk of Nokia's IP being part of that.

*edit*
I re-read that story @mynokiablog & some of the comments.
I'm quite sure there's no profitability directly for MS here.
It's more likely that Nokia will use the arrangement in a offensive sense to compete w/Android.
And this will indirectly be to MS's advantage....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-04 at 14:23.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Why the hell does MS also profit from Nokia's IP?
Strategic partnership would more than likely be the backdoor to benefiting from Nokia's IP.

Just a hunch.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Just got told the N9 has been delayed yet again,<SNIP>
Was also told there will be very minimum support for it as everything has shifted in every way to the windows devices.
I really do have my doubts now about this n9 as i think everyone buying one will get even more let down than we did with the n900.
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
<SNIP>Cannot reveal my source but it is heating up now and it will be this month something happens from Nokia.
The key man beind all this needless to say is elop.
Didn't get your 30x N9's today mate?
I'm really surpsied you didn't, what you explained seemed rock-solid.
Derp, derpa derp, derp, derpa derp. Hahahaha!

Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
<SNIP>too many people are getting caught up in rumours and hearsay on what nokia or elop is doing or going to do or not doing. nobody knows (except those in nokia high up) what support the N9 will get, we can guess or assume. we don't know what they are going to do. yes we can try forecast it but to what end?<SNIP>
Not Abill...
Apparently he knows all.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-03 at 15:24.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Strategic partnership would more than likely be the backdoor to benefiting from Nokia's IP.

Just a hunch.
Yeah I know...
But I'm sure nothing was mentioned about that when they supposedly came clean about everything, & all ther plans in Feb.
Not convincing enough for me, dig up the original source/s 1st please Mike

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-03 at 16:26.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

offline maps?

Again thats why they need Nokia to fix it and they will doit for them...

IMO the N9 will be extremely successful. It will be a hit, a cult item even.
How could it, its not even being offered in the major high-end smartphone markets.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Hey guys, we are for sure trying to make our best to make all the apps for N9 discoverable.

Please head over to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1081206 if you have any feedback, questions or feature requests!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N9 Apps For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'll take Nvidia's Tegra line over what WP7 is currently utilizing any day.

I do see some issues...

But on your own machine, you can place files on there. Via the OS X Mac Connector, it's pretty easy. Not so easy via Zune software on Windows.

Or, you can use Windows Phone Device Manager (which looks/acts a WHOLE lot like the OS X version)

Not true. Internet Sharing is in Mango. Now... let's see how the carriers cap it, that's a different story.

TouchXplorer solves this.

offline maps?
Yeah... they totally goofed with this one. But who knows... perhaps Ovi Maps solves this one - ironic, eh?

i think meego does all this. Besides that I see several fundamental mistakes in the wp7 UI which scare away conservative consumers, and believe me consumers are conservative.
I know Maemo 5 did - all but the maps, it wasn't truly fully offline, it still wanted to connect to "something", Google Maps on Android now is "as offline" as the Maemo 5 experience. Can't say that the UI will scare conservative users - WP7 or Harmattan - to be honest.

Both are rather streamlined to the point where they might gain conservative users at the cost of losing hardcore users - at least for Harmattan, that is (no desktops, no customizing the screens, no widgets, limited number/lack of customizations on menus, etc.)... to be honest, that streamlining is a good thing. Hardcore users will hack happiness into the system. Conservative/casual users will enjoy the streamlined UI.

Sorta a win-win.

Meego Harmattan still has more familiar elements despite the swipe UI. E.g. editable apps grid (iphone), drill-down and tabs navigation (iphone and android), expandable status bar (android and iphone somehow), notification screen (iphone) etc.
I need to hold it, use it before I make a decision. Gingerbread added functionality like I expected/wanted/desired.

Same for WP7 Mango. But both aren't where I want them to be for me.

We'll see.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Nice way of living up to my proposed thread title. Actually no, I haven't had this problem in the past personally but I did install it for people who did when the product codes were leaked to the general public. who said anything about being the norm? but not really an exception at all and if it is it's a very pertinent exception considering that it's the same type of device, the same company, and we have a report from the swiss site about region differences.

I'm not even saying it's true but I found your insult aimed at the other user for giving an example where there is a charge for a language pack to be so hypocritical when you instead were trying to compare it to charging for ice at a restaurant. Yeah I guess the comparison to charging for ice at a restaurant is far more pertinent in your head.

Also, an exception is a little different from what you said before in all caps while insulting others
Lol omg, he called someone a r3tard! quick everyone give that man a hug, he's been insulted! you can't even be serious right now.

And yes, that is an Exception. If you installed language packs on the same device for several users, that's what we call an exception, mate. If throughout the history of ALL OF NOKIA'S mobile releases, users have had to get language packs on even 20 (that's a generous number for the sake of argument) of their devices/models, then that's AN EXCEPTION. If the opposite were true and nearly every device produced by Nokia had missing languages for certain regions, that would be the RULE. But that isn't the case for Nokia, and it certainly isn't the case for ANY OTHER mobile manufacturer.

As I said earlier, your example, and that other user's example are the rare, fringe cases. The exceptions, and not the rule. So yeah, my comment about everyone abandoning common sense still stands.

Lastly, if you've been insulted by anything I've said, that certainly wasn't my intention, but if you've taken offense to it, oh well. I'm not gonna apologise over the use of r3tard (stupid language filter) nor calling you a clown. If you can't handle that, I'm not sure how you make it in real life. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, feel free to add me to your ignore list (I won't cry).

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????