Notices

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Boixos Nois View Post
Thank you!
Still not received anything. Sense as rebooting my phone, I will voice navigation, although the link to run a Web browser MicroB and gives me the wrong server. : (
Means the server is not running. Try this in command prompt. Should not require root access. Then try the address again. If there is sound then you may run ovi maps and get voice navigation.
Code:
cd /usr/share/nokia-maps/html
speak_02.py

Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
Try this config file (same as attached here... I just linked it for no reason). I've had to manually edit the finnish config file as they don't all follow the same standard.

That part shouldn't need internet.
A much awaited mod for my N900. Thanks a lot for all your work. But I Need some help!!!

Messed up with the voice file location. Now when I try to browse to the correct file path (/MyDocs/cities/Voice/english_us) and then when I click the "Reload Voice file location" the OM Voice Server crashes. Next when I restart the path is still empty.

Please tell me what do I need to do to restore the file path. I have copied the config file in your post to the folder patch mentioned above.

Originally Posted by sajk View Post
A much awaited mod for my N900. Thanks a lot for all your work. But I Need some help!!!

Messed up with the voice file location. Now when I try to browse to the correct file path (/MyDocs/cities/Voice/english_us) and then when I click the "Reload Voice file location" the OM Voice Server crashes. Next when I restart the path is still empty.

Please tell me what do I need to do to restore the file path. I have copied the config file in your post to the folder patch mentioned above.
Try the path /home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices without the english_us part. OMV will look for the folders itself (which should have the languages in it).

ie.
Voices <You need this folder in OMV>
--> english
-------->config
--------> english_male
--> finnish
-------->config
--------> finnish_male

I shall look into making this process a little easier.

I shall get onto the other issues people had later today, just thought to release this first as it has come up a few times.
How is this related to whatever I have downloaded following the instructions on http://www.pittnerovi.com/jiri/hobby...00/index.html? Can I just upgrade your index.html on the top of that?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
I saw that there is experimental support for "Saved POI results". How is this implemented? Does "OmVoiceServer" act as a caching proxy, i.e., it stores the search results and then returns them later to OviMaps?

I'm wondering if it is feasible to use other POI/Address databases such that OviMaps can be used completely offline. For example, Marble has a Monav backend which can download address databases.. could it be possible to use Monav to to address searches through OmVoiceServer?

Let me know what you think.. I may try to implement this if the developers of OmVoiceServer think it could work

Originally Posted by mcepl View Post
How is this related to whatever I have downloaded following the instructions on http://www.pittnerovi.com/jiri/hobby...00/index.html? Can I just upgrade your index.html on the top of that?
That link uses the python server. As I lack proper skills in python, I decided to recode the project in C++/Qt and hence OMVoiceServer was born, having all the features of the python server plus a GUI and a little more features. They are not interchangeable as they work differently. You can install one or the other, but not bits of both. If you need more details let me know and I can elaborate

Originally Posted by pinsh View Post
I saw that there is experimental support for "Saved POI results". How is this implemented? Does "OmVoiceServer" act as a caching proxy, i.e., it stores the search results and then returns them later to OviMaps?
Yep, spot on

Originally Posted by pinsh View Post
I'm wondering if it is feasible to use other POI/Address databases such that OviMaps can be used completely offline. For example, Marble has a Monav backend which can download address databases.. could it be possible to use Monav to to address searches through OmVoiceServer?

Let me know what you think.. I may try to implement this if the developers of OmVoiceServer think it could work
It should be possible. The returned data looks like this: {A search for Google in Australia}. So as long as you can get the information from the database and make it look like the response ovi maps expects, you can enable complete offline searching.

Try the path /home/user/MyDocs/cities/Voices without the english_us part. OMV will look for the folders itself (which should have the languages in it).

ie.
Voices <You need this folder in OMV>
--> english
-------->config
--------> english_male
--> finnish
-------->config
--------> finnish_male

I shall look into making this process a little easier.
thanks Blaizzen. It worked. I went out for a drive and gave this thing a little try. Unfortunately, something went quite wrong with OM voice server and it completly stopped the voice. I could see in the log that it received commands but never played those sounds. Had to restart my phone to even use the "test" feature.

Originally Posted by sajk View Post
thanks Blaizzen. It worked. I went out for a drive and gave this thing a little try. Unfortunately, something went quite wrong with OM voice server and it completly stopped the voice. I could see in the log that it received commands but never played those sounds. Had to restart my phone to even use the "test" feature.
Is OVMS the latest version? I am aware of a similar problem, usually caused when the language is changed (issue with clearing the previous list of voice files), but it should be fixed now. Let me know if it continues to occur.

a great enhancement to whatever handicapped version of ovi maps we were given to use on nokia n900. really it brings back life to its navigation capabilitites.. thanks a lot to people behind it specially blaizzen.. i am using ur omvoiceserver method.
though i am able to use voice guided navigation quite easily by ur method.. i have ne problem.. it has already been pointed earlier that inspite of omvoiceserver running and internt connection active search is always unsuccessful giving error search temp unavailable.
every time i want to navigate i have to find it on map and then go for routing.
i am using the latest index.html file and omvoiceserver.
it wud great help if u cud solve dis prob.
thanks nd keep up d good work

Originally Posted by constantine View Post
a great enhancement to whatever handicapped version of ovi maps we were given to use on nokia n900. really it brings back life to its navigation capabilitites.. thanks a lot to people behind it specially blaizzen.. i am using ur omvoiceserver method.
though i am able to use voice guided navigation quite easily by ur method.. i have ne problem.. it has already been pointed earlier that inspite of omvoiceserver running and internt connection active search is always unsuccessful giving error search temp unavailable.
every time i want to navigate i have to find it on map and then go for routing.
i am using the latest index.html file and omvoiceserver.
it wud great help if u cud solve dis prob.
thanks nd keep up d good work
Thats odd... is this the index.html version you are using? (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=467) It contains the ability to use the default OVI search instead of the server. If the issue still exists, then its most likely due to something else other than omvs. Let me know if the original search works or not.

Also what does the log say in omvs? Does it show that its recieved a search?