Active Topics

He did get his laptop AND a WP phone, so win-win for MS, would only stuff him with laptop without all the PR (black going on grey, damagecontrol white) shtick. Now another WP phone is out there too (and a couple of frontpage reddit posts about nonexisting ecosystem), couldn't plan it better

Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post

Anyone remember Kin1 and Kin2, Oddly it looks like a palm Pre,

Life and death of the Microsoft Kin: The inside story

what Killed the Kin
I think what you see there is the influence of Matias Duarte

He was the director of design for Danger inc who made the Hip-tops and Michael Knights tom-tom, err I mean Side Kicks

Notice the crystal keypad?

It had a rather nice UI too, shame about it being tide to the cloud and so locked down that it makes Apple look hedonistic.

Anyway, he left to join Palm to become VP of Human Interface and User Experience. In the mean time M$ bought Danger and decided to release the Kin using their new properties and swallowing Dangers Cloud Services that MS has built upon today.

Matias's work can still be enjoyed today too, he is the guy we can thank for a little project called Ice Cream Sandwich.

This bloke is an interface legend IMO.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post

another reason m$ devices are less competitive...
between a N9 (16GB) & a Lumia 800, for a practically identical HW, the OS costs more, thus 23$ to 30$ less margin...
on a 450 bucks device...
Don't forget Nokia is heavily subsidizing the Lumia with carriers and giving free gifts for standalone purchases. In U.S. the Lumia 900 will be sold at US$99.99 for 2 years contract while other models are at least US$200 for the same terms. How desperate can you get?

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
He did get his laptop AND a WP phone, so win-win for MS, would only stuff him with laptop without all the PR (black going on grey, damagecontrol white) shtick. Now another WP phone is out there too (and a couple of frontpage reddit posts about nonexisting ecosystem), couldn't plan it better
He is auctioning both his winnings to charity as an 'up yours' to MS. Pie in the face for them.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Nokia giving phones for free = false
Microsoft forcing their OS by such tactics (free XBOX anyone?) = true

The fact these were produced by Nokia doesn't make those equal. Nokia got their payment for producing the handsets from MS. For me: the more the merrier. I know this is rather unpopular view here, but Nokia is still in the running thanks to this. With revolutionary handsets (808) and apps they develop (sadly for MS only now, nokia transport sounds very awesome for my usage case at least): they can regain field once the shill's been kicked out. And on the other hand, both google and apple could use some competition, so bleed your money MS, bipoly(?) is just as bad as monopoly, just look at ISP options for most of US, horror stories. People get bored of same thing also it seems. Hope WP can even the field, introduce the 'looking for something new' approach into consumers, N9's swype would really have a chance to explode then

Microsoft Likes IP of companies, So it would not come as a surprise if the deal was just to get some Intellectual Property rights that Nokia holds, Like with danger, Ms was only interested in their intellectual properties. I wish Nokia well, really i do, But i have no idea whats going on.

Nokia is fragmented, This is a bad image, they released a 41 MP phone which got people excited but the problem was, it was on a symbian platform, Seeing Elop has already said so much bad things about Symbian. calling it "A burning Platform" and giving a Date of Death, this looks strange. It's almost Like, Nokia is scared, or does not trust Ms Windows phone. Because surely if you are releasing something like the worlds first 41mp Phone (to get peoples attention), seeing WP7 is their Hope, they would use WP7 right?

Maybe this is a cry for help from the deep vaults of Nokia, who knows? Maybe Nokia has been highjacked? well it's too late now, lets hope WP7 does well...

Oddly, have you noticed that it is Nokia who is complaining about the bad sales, Not Microsoft?

The Nokia-Microsoft relationship is really bad... Nokia cannot go to android-- for Nokia maps reasons.

and to Go back to symbian and meego would seem like an embarrassment, seeing they "HE" dissed it so bad. I mean not even Samsung is dissing their bada platform, and it's not doing very well.

Hope they do well, windows needs to innovate... at current speed, windows Phone does not offer anything, Android, iOs, and other Os's don't already have.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Yeah and it loooks like just another fail brought to us by the laughing stock of the mobile industry AKA Microsoft. Apparently some dude with a Galaxy nexus won against the Win Phail and he was denied his prize at the store.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/windows-pho...-just-because/
HILARIOUS! Best part is that EVEN WITH THE RIGGING, the Microsoft phone STILL lost against a Galaxy Nexus. FTA: "According to the latest report by The Verge, Microsoft admits to using only those challenges where it knows it will have an upper hand, while avoiding those where it could lose or the result would be a tie, among other things. So no, there is nothing random (and might I even add fair) about these events and everything, including the part where you lose to the Windows Phone, is part of the plan."

A little too late to save face, though. If I were the guy, I would make sure to collect the laptop and then immediately install Linux on it just to make a point.

Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
The Nokia-Microsoft relationship is really bad... Nokia cannot go to android-- for Nokia maps reasons.
For maps reasons? What reasons are those? Couldn't Nokia put their maps application out for Android? Hell--if it's actually good, it might make them more money than their half-arsed Windows Phones. I've seen a few third-party mapping apps on Android that were done at least as good as Google's (I tend to use Waze no a daily basis--a LOT more than Google Maps, even though I love them both for different reasons). Once again, it's nice to have a platform where I can HAVE both a wide array of software (unlike Nokia) AND competition (unlike iOS).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
For maps reasons? What reasons are those? Couldn't Nokia put their maps application out for Android? Hell--if it's actually good, it might make them more money than their half-arsed Windows Phones... .
Seems that Microsoft doens't care that much about Navteq and Nokia anyways: http://www.electronista.com/articles...treetmap.data/

Microsoft not only hired OpenStreetMap's founder Steve Coast as its main designer for Bing Mobile but has been in a two-way supply of content deal. Bing provides some map data for the project but also draws on OpenStreetMap to fill out its map content

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
For maps reasons? What reasons are those? Couldn't Nokia put their maps application out for Android? Hell--if it's actually good, it might make them more money than their half-arsed Windows Phones. I've seen a few third-party mapping apps on Android that were done at least as good as Google's (I tend to use Waze no a daily basis--a LOT more than Google Maps, even though I love them both for different reasons). Once again, it's nice to have a platform where I can HAVE both a wide array of software (unlike Nokia) AND competition (unlike iOS).

> I cannot remember the whole story, Because at the time i read it, i was not really interested in the Nokia-Windowsphone-Android story,

But i believe it Goes like this. Nokia Acquires Navteq and Develop maps Ovi Maps(Called Nokia maps), If i remember correctly Nokia goes to google and Ms because Nokia realizes that their Market share is falling, when i say Go i mean talks...

In short for Nokia to move to android (In their eyes) "EMPHISIS ON IN THEIR EYES, MAINLY ELOP AND CHAIRS"
(I'm sure some shareholders are not happy)

They will lose what makes them different, this is why on the Nokia Lumia 800 there are not one mapping Software installed, But three, Nokia Maps, Nokia Drive, and Bing (Microsoft maps)

note- Nokia spends more money on R & D than apple.

Also the deal with Microsoft means that Microsoft would add a large amount to the Pot, thus the really aggressive Nokia Lumia series advertising we all have been seeing

Now this is where it gets a bit complicated, According to the deal between Nokia and Microsoft, Nokia have Powers that other manufactures, Say, HTC, Samsung,LG, do not have, this is why Elop keeps saying the relationship between Ms-Nokia is special.

For example, Android has a Unique App store,(Put in motion by the owners, GOOGLE) but between Nokia-Microsoft, Nokia store will have integration into Ms Market place. For Nokia, this could not have been done on the Android Os so she still has some stuff for her self. meaning? She might get a larger share of the profit from her own store.

Nokia can innovate upon Windows phone platform, On the Android Os they cannot -- If i am not mistaken Google Requires that the stock android stays intact? Even though there is a skin above it?

But with Windows phone, Nokia can improve upon it, IE. they said imaging can be improved by nokia. and i presume Ms will use nokia to improve their GPS and Radio features, Poor nokia.

Under the proposed partnership:

Nokia would adopt Windows Phone as its principal smartphone strategy, innovating on top of the platform in areas such as imaging, where Nokia is a market leader.

Nokia would help drive the future of Windows Phone. Nokia would contribute its expertise on hardware design, language support, and help bring Windows Phone to a larger range of price points, market segments and geographies.

Nokia and Microsoft would closely collaborate on joint marketing initiatives and a shared development roadmap to align on the future evolution of mobile products.

Bing would power Nokia’s search services across Nokia devices and services, giving customers access to Bing’s next generation search capabilities. Microsoft adCenter would provide search advertising services on Nokia’s line of devices and services.

Nokia Maps would be a core part of Microsoft’s mapping services. For example, Maps would be integrated with Microsoft’s Bing search engine and adCenter advertising platform to form a unique local search and advertising experience

Nokia’s extensive operator billing agreements would make it easier for consumers to purchase Nokia Windows Phone services in countries where credit-card use is low.

Microsoft development tools would be used to create applications to run on Nokia Windows Phones, allowing developers to easily leverage the ecosystem’s global reach.

Nokia’s content and application store would be integrated with Microsoft Marketplace for a more compelling consumer experience.
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...rtnership.mspx

Nokia will also receive additional payments as part of an intellectual property exchange.

Nokia's VP of Microsoft Alliance, Waldemar Sakalus, said that there is "tremendous pressure" to deliver their first joint phone this year, but they don't expect shipments in big volumes until 2012. In a March financial filing, Nokia said it doesn't expect to complete the transition from Symbian to Windows Phone until 2013.

Here are some other details of the deal:

Nokia will provide mapping, navigation, and location-based services. Presumably, these will use technology from Navteq, which Nokia bought in 2007 for more than $8 billion.

Microsoft will provide Bing search services "across the Nokia portfolio" -- in other words, not just to Windows Phones.

Nokia will launch its own Nokia-branded app marketplace built on the Windows Phone Marketplace platform.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/...#ixzz1qPPerzx0

So under the deals, Lets say it like this, Nokia would have alot of her rent paid for her, By Microsoft, but the problem is, Microsoft only wants intellectual Properties, >so i think <

So you see, the share holders were blinded by moneyca appeal, According to the deal, Microsoft will pay nokia $2 BILLION, for using their technology,patents and nokia can do modification in areas they are allowed. Under Google android, I believe Nokia would have to be the one, talking out her check book...

so in a summary Microsoft looked like Nokia's only hope, because Nokia can make demands, On the Android Os it's do as i say by Google.

So modifications that Nokia can add in the Windows phone 7 Os, they cannot add in the Android Os,

but nokia share prices keep falling, at one point, Ms will be faced with a choice, watch the deal fall to bits, or buy Nokia(or a large chunk) like Sony and Ericsson (Sony ericsson)

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-03-28 at 11:51.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
It this relevant to the discussion now? Nokia paying AT&T for exclusive employee use of the Lumia 900

It seems like Nokia are now playing the "If you can't sell it, give it away" card.
this will backfire badly...
the employees will be so pissed @ the disfunctionality of Flopware (compared to the iPhones 4(s) & ANDroid super phones they had to give in in exchange...) that they will (sincerely) recommend to the customers anything BUT...
>¦-)))))))))))))

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
this will backfire badly...
the employees will be so pissed @ the disfunctionality of Flopware (compared to the iPhones 4(s) & ANDroid super phones they had to give in in exchange...) that they will (sincerely) recommend to the customers anything BUT...
>¦-)))))))))))))
You might be on to something there. These sales people are very likely to have the latest iPhones and super-droids, some may have been given to them by droid & apple promotions likewise.

They may have already invested a fair wad of $$$ in their chosen app market and with every free promo device or upgrade can take their apps with them. So Nokia/MS might see even more reluctant salesmen than expected as they would not want to re-purchase what little they can from the MS market.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows