Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by JoOppen View Post
What about a phone with HW Keyboard, Stylus and 4" screen, running SFOS?
If you have a HW keyboard and a stylus, you do not need SFOS!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Back on-Topic: Didn't Jolla mention a surprise for those backers not served?

What about a phone with HW Keyboard, Stylus and 4" screen, running SFOS?
So... you're really asking if anybody has ported Sailfish to the N900, right?

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
If you have a HW keyboard and a stylus, you do not need SFOS!
You may be right, but the fun in the thread is back!

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
What about a Unicorn! or a Helicarrier! or Timetravel!

Continually pining over an n900 style device is starting to get a bit sad guys
No, it's fun!

And yes, a Helicarrier could be fun as well, maybe with a Unicorn on board.

BTW, I just fell in love with an old HP Pre (has no stylus, but its form-factor suits one-handed touch use very well)

@pichlo: for such a package SFOS would make sense (as opposed to the N900)

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So... you're really asking if anybody has ported Sailfish to the N900, right?
No, I would not. As pichlo poined out, N900 is a different beast. It is not a phone, it is a small computer.

But: something like easy-debian in he Jolla would be nice. On the other hand, without a stylus it would be hard to handle.

No, I would not. As pichlo poined out, N900 is a different beast. It is not a phone, it is a small computer.

But: something like easy-debian in he Jolla would be nice. On the other hand, without a stylus it would be hard to handle.
Personally, I think that the gestures in Sailfish, and by an extension Harmattan, made a stylus quite useless. There's quite a few use cases where a stylus would make things awkward.

I think that in 2016, considering the N900 a "mobile computer" is quite apt; but I still would say it's a rather lacking mobile computer for some rather practical things yet quite fantastic for stuff that makes this forum happy.

Last edited by gerbick; 2016-03-09 at 15:16. Reason: Changed "in Jolla" to "in Sailfish" to avoid pedantic comments

Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Personally, I think that the gestures in Jolla, and by an extension Harmattan, made a stylus quite useless. There's quite a few use cases where a stylus would make things awkward.
"Awkward" is not the word I would have chosen. "Unnecessary", perhaps?

That's how I see SFOS: a crutch to compensate for the lack of proper input methods, such as a HW keyboard and a precision pointing device, like a mouse or a stylus. I must say it does a damn good job compensating but if you have those, you do not need SFOS. You may as well use a real OS.

I think that in 2016, considering the N900 a "mobile computer" is quite apt; but I still would say it's a rather lacking mobile computer for some rather practical things yet quite fantastic for stuff that makes this forum happy.
I, OTOH, have found both Jolla and SFOS severely lacking in pretty much every aspect except a more powerful CPU. Moving from N900 to Jolla feels like moving from an old Mercedes to a new Ford Fiesta. It may be new, but it does not have air-conditioning, power steering, ABS, a dashboard clock, electric windows, a CD player...

But yeah, this is OT in this thread. Sorry.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
"Awkward" is not the word I would have chosen. "Unnecessary", perhaps?
Changing my tone up a bit, especially when addressing the N900. I did state useless earlier in the sentence.

That's how I see SFOS: a crutch to compensate for the lack of proper input methods, such as a HW keyboard and a precision pointing device, like a mouse or a stylus.
Agree here. But I think that it's a continuation of Harmattan in that degree; remove the hardware keyboard and whatnot and you better have good input otherwise. Since both are sitting on top of basically full-stack Linux, switching to a presentational layer that accepts keyboard/mouse/stylus input should be a no-brainer if some enterprising individual, group or project decided to do so.

I must say it does a damn good job compensating but if you have those, you do not need SFOS. You may as well use a real OS.
Agree fully.

I, OTOH, have found both Jolla and SFOS severely lacking in pretty much every aspect except a more powerful CPU. Moving from N900 to Jolla feels like moving from an old Mercedes to a new Ford Fiesta.
Since we're in different parts of the world, I'll try avoid esoteric brand names and use generic terms instead.

I've always likened the N900 to an old car. It is that old diesel Mercedes indeed. Reliable, you know it should work/will work but you have to be patient on some things, you hear a noise or a have a problem it's a quick diagnosis and perhaps fix. And the things it's missing - well, you "don't need them anyway"... until you do.

Sailfish is that sporty, quick to accelerate kit car like the Ariel Atom. Very quick, nice transportation, fun to drive, does somethings in a rather odd fashion, has no storage (trunk or boot), has half a windshield but proposes to get you to point A to point B rather quickly albeit quite quirkily.

It may be new, but it does not have air-conditioning, power steering, ABS, a dashboard clock, electric windows, a CD player...
I think we actually agree. See above.

But yeah, this is OT in this thread. Sorry.
I think it's par for the course in this thread.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Guys, did you recevied an invite today?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Guys, did you recevied an invite today?
actually two: one for free sex with hot girls in my neighbourhood and one for a fantastic 5% discount on every +£150 order on something I don't need ;-)
Or did you mean from Jolla

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund