Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Give me meego, hardware keyboard, usb host and slave, dual sim card and the regular nokia hardware goodies and heil I'll do the rest. I'm what you call a "simple man"

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
For one, they cared about the consumer...
Wrong. MS and Apple don't care about consumer - they care about grabbing more market and kicking off the competitors using uncompetitive practices instead of competing on merit. That's why their products come out not good for consumer, but good for them. Their approach lies in attempts to sell that off as if it's the best thing in the world.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The 'fix' for the following premises:

- The commercial competitors are cheating (by unfair business practices, unfair marketing edge, etc)
- The customers are clueless

Is to fix:

- The government and regulations
- Mass media
- The education system
- The human race

Which would also lead to World Peace (tm).

So I really really really suggest people to take a more practical approach, to be a little more realistic; and to think more strategically than to just yell, b*tch and moan against the world.

cheers
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
you keep drinkin that kool aid buddy
Mmm... Apple flavour. Wait a minute, this tastes like p1ss.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I wonder if there will be any demo devices that I can actually touch/use during the event? (considering the fact that Nokia Australia already have some of these devices in the office for some employees to try out) I really hope there are so that I can get a hands-on experience which I can share with everyone here. =)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ysss View Post

- The commercial competitors are cheating (by unfair business practices, unfair marketing edge, etc)
Making the customers not so clueless also works.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Wrong. MS and Apple don't care about consumer - they care about grabbing more market and kicking off the competitors using uncompetitive practices instead of competing on merit. That's why their products come out not good for consumer, but good for them. Their approach lies in attempts to sell that off as if it's the best thing in the world.
Well that approach ****s. It is basically exploits the human vanity and the need of people to be socially accepted. The iPhone is the magic charm.

In this respect, I don't see any real difference to the people getting teased.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post

Is to fix:

- The government and regulations
- Mass media
- The education system
- The human race

Which would also lead to World Peace (tm).

So I really really really suggest people to take a more practical approach, to be a little more realistic; and to think more strategically than to just yell, b*tch and moan against the world.

cheers
Your comment is very realistic, and generally most of your comments are very well based (with the fragrance of irony and sarcasm - so I will risk of being a target of one).

In this case being practical, means not asking at all for the FOSS drivers. In fact it means accepting poor substitutes such as limited maintenance of binary blobs.

Sure, some will argue that the device will be obsolete in 2 years (so no big deal), and that new device will be bought, but that's their right to be good consumer. Nothing is wrong with that - it's a choice.

If you don't ask the girl (Nokia), she won't give it to you (unless off-course you are genuinely irresistible).

In any case you can still ask other girls, if the first one makes your left cheek red, or repeat the experience with the right cheek.

Statistically speaking, eventually you get the score.

But back to the consumers.

Everybody talks about the cool new disruptor star-trek features (with Data being included as accessory), but almost nobody comments on the issue of drivers.

My question targeting the true "openness" of the new devices, has turned rather disappointing.

A very few agreed on the subject, but what worries me more is that even the negative or different opinions are rare.

It's like the majority of the population posting/following this topic, does not care or have any opinion on the subject.

You can group most of the post in following groups:

1. Fart applications, the fart application gets more attention, but that is natural, everyone can have opinion on the fart application (I've never had one, but I have formed opinion).
2. Elop-mania(!@^&@$!&^&) is not much more difficult as well.
3. The M$-Nokia deal opinion is a trivial thing, everybody knows about big-bad-M$
4. wishful thoughts about oncoming hardware (I admit that some of the comments are quite intriguing)

I may have missed something because of the epic size of this topic.

For the end about rudeness:

Being rude does not require too much effort. It is easy to find spelling/grammar mistakes, or call a person by the first name, or finding minor errors and using it as tool to beat the person into the pulp.

Among other things, the forums allows for certain anonymity with addition of detachment from reality. The nicknames are strings displayed in order to designate the dehumanized representation of fellow humans. Pulling the trigger is not difficult, there is no real consequence (I don't count banning), and there is no feeling of guilt, since you don't perceive the human at the other and.

One have to wonder if all if those people are behaving like that in real life.

I apologize for diverting this topic.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-17 at 07:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
In this case being practical, means not asking at all for the FOSS drivers. In fact it means accepting poor substitutes such as limited maintenance of binary blobs.

Sure, some will argue that the device will be obsolete in 2 years (so no big deal), and that new device will be bought, but that's their right to be good consumer. Nothing is wrong with that - it's a choice.
That's exactly it. Most customers are not being burned by the status quo, so there is limited demand for a change (especially if this change would likely be accompanied by other drawbacks).

And like you say, it's a choice. It is your right to make the choice to only buy devices with open drivers, if you truly believe that this will make a difference to you. But it is just your choice, and if others don't share your priorities, there is nothing you can do about it.

It is not a good idea to offend people who make differing choices ("vanity", etc). We all make more or less educated choices based on our own individual requirements. When customers are actually getting burned in tangible ways, then they _are_ taking notice and this will affect their buying decisions (as e.g. in the complaints about Android not being upgraded on many handsets).

I honestly don't know about the state of drivers on the new device (and frankly couldn't care less), but what I do know is that for all practical purposes, it is plenty open enough for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Making the customers not so clueless also works.
OMG that sounds so easy!

Please share with us the secret; how can you make them care enough to want to 'be less clueless' when they don't care as much about (the phone|their data on it|its os|the software licenses|FOSS) as we do?

Do you care about the brand\detail\spec of a kitchen appliance you may have to buy/rent? What about spoons n forks?

Now you have an idea of how much they care about 'techie stuffs'.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Your comment is very realistic, and generally most of your comments are very well based (with the fragrance of irony and sarcasm - so I will risk of being a target of one).
I'm sorry about the tone;
I'm too used to delivering dead-pan adianoetas

Actually, my cannon was aimed squarely at that poster whom I quoted and replied to. In the subject of 'requesting source code from nokia/hardware producer', I just have a big vat of mixed feelings.

- It's been asked multiple times in the past.
- Knowing how the industry\players works, the chance of it happening is slim at best.
- Strategically speaking, we don't have a strong hand in this 'negotiation'.
- Recently, this topic was raised again by the 'village idiot' of this forum; so it leaves an especially bitter taste due to the ensuing riot caused by the messenger.

So anyway, asking (again) surely doesn't hurt; and if someone succeed in prying the codes off the (dead) hands of the dastards then I'll join y'all in the epic celebration that follows.

Personally, I would look at strengthening our hand so we can bargain better.

Btw, yes, I'm genuinely an irresistible flamebait.

You can group most of the post in following groups:

1. Fart applications, the fart application gets more attention, but that is natural, everyone can have opinion on the fart application (I've never had one, but I have formed opinion).
2. Elop-mania(!@^&@$!&^&) is not much more difficult as well.
3. The M$-Nokia deal opinion is a trivial thing, everybody knows about big-bad-M$
4. wishful thoughts about oncoming hardware (I admit that some of the comments are quite intriguing)

I may have missed something because of the epic size of this topic.
posts about:
5. Optimization scripts.
6. And those who've 'escaped' the grip of maemo and reported back their experience here..... only to be stoned

Last edited by ysss; 2011-06-17 at 08:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland