Posts: 55 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Switzerland
I don't know if this information already found its way up to here, but for those interested, here's a link from Nokia Conversations about MS apps coming to Symbian:
Microsoft Apps are coming to Symbian

Where does he say that? I don't see any connection between the further development of SwipeUX on S40 and support for the N9.
??? How about using your brain

The apps written for the N9 are (with a few exceptions) all written in Qt (Nokia's own apps as well as third party). The UI is done with Qt Quick components for Meego Harmattan (you could also call them components for s40, doesn't matter).

Now imagine Swipe UX on similar hardware but different OS, why shouldn't (almost) all the N9 apps not run there too without any modifications?

We probably won't see many updates for meego itself, but honestly i think its a mature OS and does not need much improvement (maybe bluetooth 3.0 support, better battery life).

Browser/UI/Nokia Apps development will continue and the N9 will benefit.

Besides that nokia will continue to develop its own version of meego internally for the next potential disruption. So we may even see improvements there.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2011-09-08 at 19:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Actually...just to slightly correct...

Almost all of the Harmattan applications are written in Qt, but using the MeeGo Touch Framework (MTF), formerly known as DUI. Many of the apps themselves were already in development when the N900 went to general release. Because the apps themselves were in advanced stages of development, it was decided that they would not re-implement using Qt Quick/QML, however, MTF is all but gone in MeeGo proper (it's still in gitorious, but the handset community stuff has been systematically replacing all of it.)

-Thom

The Following User Says Thank You to tschak909 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tschak909 View Post
Actually...just to slightly correct...

Almost all of the Harmattan applications are written in Qt, but using the MeeGo Touch Framework (MTF), formerly known as DUI. Many of the apps themselves were already in development when the N900 went to general release. Because the apps themselves were in advanced stages of development, it was decided that they would not re-implement using Qt Quick/QML, however, MTF is all but gone in MeeGo proper (it's still in gitorious, but the handset community stuff has been systematically replacing all of it.)

-Thom
MTF isn't platform specific either (could be wrong though). But are you sure the swipe ux for meego harmattan 1.2 is done in MTF? I seriously doubt that, as far as I know they have rewritten the whole UI from scratch in QML.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2011-09-08 at 19:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 188 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Lindegaard View Post
Hi guys. I and probably a few other danes from TMO where to the 3/Nokia N9 meeting today.

i didn't asked any questions but it seems that the doubt about several things were made clear

NFC: N9 does not have secure chip - so N9 is not our new Mastercard (unless somebody will make some sort of hach)

N9 will defenetly get updates and when launched N9 will become part of Nokias "next disruption" (which also will include WP7/8) So there is some hope for support - however the support will probably only last as long as this unit is on the market

Btw, there may come other colors as well. However, only primary colors - so we will may se a yellow and white N9. One of the Nokia empoyee had a white N9 (no cover) but that was a prototype

battery, it is possible to get a new one but we will have deliver it at a nokia care store.

It does have the fm transmitter

bluetooth is 2.1

you can hack the n9 as you want to and also make a dualboot with fx android

that about it. Ather people will probably clearify other things that i can't remember.

About the DLNA, the N9 is not fast enough to stream 720p so you will have to use the usb-port in that case. Pics, however is no problem.

In terms of apps, there will be somewhat development both globally and locally (denmark...)

I thought I would wait till the cyan n9 will come, but i was the silicone covers and they were really slim so maybe i'll get the n9 black 64gb but then buy a cyan cover.

Roger, over and out
Yihaa... where were you during the event?? should've worn a TMO-badge or something

Did he ever find out about the FM-tx/rx?? he hadn't given any answer before i left

I think Lindegaard has covered all the facts, so i'll skip right into my own personal views:

Regarding responsiveness of the phone, i'm very impressed. it's extremely smooth, and even swiping away running videos posed no threat to the overall swiftness!!

The webbrowser was quite fast (faster than my 1ghz n900, and the iphone 4 i've tried, that is!), and youtube videos played with no hassle whatsoever.

I sont know if it's been mentioned/confirmed or whatever, but the nokiaman said that a accounts api is to be released, so that all mail, chat, social and other accounts will be possible to add.

other than that i can say that the VKB is the iphones VKB far superior imo (using 3gs daily).

The build quality is very nice, it seems very sturdy and feels good to hold!

I think that's about it, overall i'm very impressed and i AM going to buy it

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bequezox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I hope thats not sweden
Nope, Slovakia.

The Following User Says Thank You to babraq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
??? How about using your brain

The apps written for the N9 are (with a few exceptions) all written in Qt (Nokia's own apps as well as third party). The UI is done with Qt Quick components for Meego Harmattan (you could also call them components for s40, doesn't matter).

Now imagine Swipe UX on similar hardware but different OS, why shouldn't (almost) all the N9 apps not run there too without any modifications?

We probably won't see many updates for meego itself, but honestly i think its a mature OS and does not need much improvement (maybe bluetooth 3.0 support, better battery life).

Browser/UI/Nokia Apps development will continue and the N9 will benefit.

Besides that nokia will continue to develop its own version of meego internally for the next potential disruption. So we may even see improvements there.
Jupp there is one think Elop is right about! "N9 is more about QT" (atleast UI stuff)
However I am 100% sure Qt work WAY smother on N9 than todays symbian phones.

And I am also sure Meego Harmattan will have updates of QT too

About BT3.0 I dont think thats possible AFAIK BT3.0 need dual band chip so it is HW related :-( (or maybe thats was indoduced in BT 4.0 hmmm)

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-09-08 at 20:57.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Jupp there is one think Elop is right about! "N9 is more about QT" (atleast UI stuff)
However I am 100% sure Qt work WAY smother on N9 than todays symbian phones.

And I am also sure Meego Harmattan will have updates of QT too

About BT3.0 I dont think thats possible AFAIK BT3.0 need dual band chip so it is HW related :-( (or maybe thats was indoduced in BT 4.0 hmmm)
Mike is smiling It cannot be a coincidence. When I look into my crystal ball I see a great future for the N9, and I see a great future for Symbian (although a bit short). I see a great future for WP, and I see that Bada rox - always

Any day now, the N9 can be here any day, and they are getting cheaper and cheaper. All stores have them announced, and they are having a price war even before they have them in stock. This will be great. The N9 will certainly kick some serious ***

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Greece
Crap. Looking at the service pdf, I see the battery is connected to the phone via wires, so it's not a standard one. F*ck f*ggedy f*ckf*ckf*ck.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by giorgosmit View Post
Crap. Looking at the service pdf, I see the battery is connected to the phone via wires, so it's not a standard one. F*ck f*ggedy f*ckf*ckf*ck.
So if the fan on my PC is connected via wires, it is not a standard fan ?

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????