Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
to stick with the Theme and add a bit Truth too, he was disruptive
Just a brief follow up on a theme. I was wondering if a good name for the n9/n950/rm-680 could be "the disruptor" To me it sounds better than the previously suggested "ion" which doesn't sound, well, quite disruptive enough. It also fits in nicely with the "burning platform" motif to maintain structural unity and continuity in these threads. Other disruptive suggestions are welcome...

Just as a reminder

dis·rupt (ds-rpt)
tr.v. dis·rupt·ed, dis·rupt·ing, dis·rupts
1. To throw into confusion or disorder: Protesters disrupted the candidate's speech.
2. To interrupt or impede the progress, movement, or procedure of: Our efforts in the garden were disrupted by an early frost.
3. To break or burst; rupture.
[Latin disrumpere, disrupt-, to break apart : dis-, dis- + rumpere, to break apart; see reup- in Indo-European roots.]

Even better yet...

From weapons in Star Trek:

Disruptors are employed by several alien species in this series, including Romulans, Klingons, Breen, Cardassians, Iridians and Orions in their personal and military small arms as well as being mounted as cannon, emitters, turrets, and banks. Only the first three are known to have type-3 disruptors, the most advanced developed so far, by the 24th century. Disruptors cause damage by exciting the molecular bonds of targets. According to Last Unicorn's Star Trek: The Next Generation Roleplaying Game, disruptors are considered less 'elegant' than phaser-based weapons; their effects there are described as thermal shock and blunt force, as opposed to the 'rapid nadion effect'

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by N9Us View Post
Average costumer doesn't give a crap about open source or not, as long as "it just works"
And i hope N9 IS for average users, because else there is no future for maemo...
N9Us,

by that logic we should have abolished the telephone (remember that device?) back in the 30's, because I can assure you my grandmother (back then in her average user age of 25) was flabbergasted (**** scared, actually) at a device that you could talk into and hear a response from thousands of miles away....

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Just a brief follow up on a theme. I was wondering if a good name for the n9/n950/rm-680 could be "the disruptor" To me it sounds better than the previously suggested "ion" which doesn't sound, well, quite disruptive enough.
Even slightly mature geeks would probably be embarrassed to have a 'serious' phone with the name of 'the disruptor'

It also fits in nicely with the "burning platform" motif to maintain structural unity and continuity in these threads. Other disruptive suggestions are welcome...
In a busy, loud and saturated market... I'd go with the codename 'shhh.'

(and if it fails, people will just call it "Oh, shhh---...").

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
N9Us,

by that logic we should have abolished the telephone (remember that device?) back in the 30's, because I can assure you my grandmother (back then in her average user age of 25) was flabbergasted (**** scared, actually) at a device that you could talk into and hear a response from thousands of miles away....
You may need to buy a ticket to get yourself back into the realms of what he's talking about. Missed his point by a continent.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I have spent a half a year in Japan and they have a bunch of good android devices we haven't seen.
The only drawback is lots of them don't have WIFI because they want you to use 3G, even though they are armed with decent hardware.

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/products/sharp/005sh.html

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Have you actually used any Japanese phones? They got nice screens and camera, that is all.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Soppa View Post
Well, hopefully this is not old news. My RSS feed reports that it's confirmed that Nokia will unveil some new models on the 21st at the Nokia Connection event.

Stephen Elop: ”He will set the stage for a number of exciting Nokia product and service launches.”

Mary McDowell: ”Mary McDowell will cover Nokia’s strategy around Mobile Phones, including the global launch of brand new mobile devices”

Finnish media has been invited to Espoo on the same day to see what it's all about. They also reminded that the website for the event has been opened:

http://www.nokiaconnection.net/index.php

source:

http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/taskumuro/ (site in Finnish, sorry)
Nokia will announce that the HQ will be moved to US and Microsoft will buy nokia mobile service

EDIT: plus...windows phones will be launched in Holland, Spain, GB, Germany, italy and france....

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-06-17 at 18:56.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Even slightly mature geeks would probably be embarrassed to have a 'serious' phone with the name of 'the disruptor'

In a busy, loud and saturated market... I'd go with the codename 'shhh.'

(and if it fails, people will just call it "Oh, shhh---...").

You may need to buy a ticket to get yourself back into the realms of what he's talking about. Missed his point by a continent.
You could have something called ION DISRUPTOR.

But people have noticed that there is something common to all disruptions in past century?

The side that owned disrupting technology advantage, made sure opponents never learned in advance before the actual deployment.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't think I missed his point, I just don't agree with it. It's a semantic question of waiting for the masses to approve (as opposed to adopt) technology.

Honestly, I just don't believe in mass psychology.

Most people are scared of new, innovative technology - and that is pretty much a fact.

Maybe the new product is a megaphone, those things are very disrupting. Also fits well on a burnning platform.
mmm.....it all fits now:
MeeGo phone = MeGa phone
so clever this elop guy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uppercase For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
I don't think I missed his point, I just don't agree with it. It's a semantic question of waiting for the masses to approve (as opposed to adopt) technology.

Honestly, I just don't believe in mass psychology.

Most people are scared of new, innovative technology - and that is pretty much a fact.
"Average costumer doesn't give a crap about open source or not, as long as "it just works""

The first phone was simple and they just worked. There were no buttons to push, no operators to contend with. Just pick up the phone and speak.

It was a simple demonstration of what was possible, and I bet it sparked the imagination of the public.

I doubt they were thinking of who owned the patents, who would be doing the investment of the infrastructure, privacy issues and so forth. Let alone licensing issues behind the technology.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
The nokia norwegien trolls future disruption is this:

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/wp-content/...011/05/Qt5.pdf

The opensource model

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-06-17 at 19:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland