Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Happy birthday, kojacker.
It's difficult to believe 'all is good' with Smaiks which was submitted five seconds before deadline - I kept looking at the countdown.
Anyway, I cannot test it myself, so I would appreciate somebody telling me whether it works at all. The package is in Extras-Devel now, HTML+JS+CSS, thus no executable binaries.
Waiting for voting token?..
eek .. I had expected it to have been tested Wikiwide. I cant put anything into voting that hasn't had some testing, can you find some way of doing that as soon as possible? I have to bust Smaiks down to 'Submitted but not yet verified' in the meantime, I hope you'll understand

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
One thing by the way i didnt get: if one marks his stuff as "beginner".. does that mean those entries are competing only in the beginner category, or "also"in the beginner category? in the main mcc2012 page it seemed "only"

Last edited by paoletto; 2012-09-10 at 07:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:
Oh and another thing.. what about all those app which are not free? are they supposed to be also available for free outside of the store, in order to be evaluated for the contest?

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
@paoletto
In the wiki it is written also.

entries marked as beginner will also automatically be entered into the beginners contest
By the way did I missed something during submission or why I am no beginner?
Until now I only ported/compiled a console tool and a gtk app for maemo and the most work was setting up scratchbox and make a deb. Is this already a criterion to not be a beginner?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paoletto View Post
One thing by the way i didnt get: if one marks his stuff as "beginner".. does that mean those entries are competing only in the beginner category, or "also"in the beginner category? in the main mcc2012 page it seemed "only"
Hi paoletto, the beginner category is there as an extra incentive for those who are new to developing for the Maemo/MeeGo Harmattan platforms to get involved by picking up the new skills and learning to develop. If you imagine someone starting out, they would have to set up their PC and development sdk, learn where the programming resources are, run their first examples, learn how to test on their device, then start developing their competition entry. Some were worried they wouldn't have a reasonable chance against experienced developers, which is why we have the additional category for beginners. So they compete in their chosen category and also in the beginners category.

If you feel the above includes you then let me know. There's still time to change entries a little.. but if this was a football match we'd be into extra time and penalties by now

Oh and another thing.. what about all those app which are not free? are they supposed to be also available for free outside of the store, in order to be evaluated for the contest?
Of the 91 submissions i think maybe 2 are in the situation where they are not free, and atleast 1 has given me a link to a free version during the competition to put in the entry. Don't quote me on those figures, but it's a very small number. There's no requirement for someone to make their app free for the competition and I don't see it as a problem. Similarly, you are free to judge based on what you can test with.

If you find yourself in the rare situation where you'd like to test an app but then you find it's on the Ovi store for a price, get in touch with the developer. He/she might be happy to provide you a free/trial copy or whatever so you can check it out.

Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
@paoletto
Until now I only ported/compiled a console tool and a gtk app for maemo and the most work was setting up scratchbox and make a deb. Is this already a criterion to not be a beginner?
Tell me honestly, do you sound like a beginner? Reach out to me on the competition email and we'll discuss it.

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-10 at 09:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
@paoletto
In the wiki it is written also.

Oh okay, i must have missed the also
Well, if Kojaker says it is still possible to change, then i guess i'd like to enter the beginner class too.. I became a mobile user in general and harmattan in particular only in April

Oh okay, i must have missed the also
Well, if Kojaker says it is still possible to change, then i guess i'd like to enter the beginner class too.. I became a mobile user in general and harmattan in particular only in April
Ok paoletto, but please understand that " I became a mobile user in general and harmattan in particular only in April " is not a reason to be considered a beginner in the competition That tells me you are a new user, but it doesn't tell me anything about your development experience. If you feel you should be included in the beginners section then that's fine, but please let me know on the competition email so we can discuss it there along with your submission

Edit: Paolo and myself discussed it on email and he confirmed starting learning to develop on Maemo in July, coinciding with the competition, and I've placed his entries into beginners as they belong there

You all have to excuse me because I'm in the middle of a crabby argument with someone about this on email (not paolo! ). But honestly it's fairly simple to decide if you are a beginner developer in the competition or not. It doesn't matter when you joined or if it's your first time using QML, for example - it's down to what work you've completed on the Maemo/MeeGo Harmattan platforms before the competiton started and therefore what knowledge you came into the competition with .

Also marking your application as beginner doesn't automatically enter you into the beginner contest, you also have to get past my detective skills As some of you know, i do try and check as best i can I'm more Inspector Clouseau than Sherlock Holmes, but I try as hard as i can to keep it fair among everyone taking part.

Also every time a question is raised here I get 5 more on emails about "Why is he.. and I'm not?" which is driving me crazy Please discuss your submission with me on email. Also, im alerted quicker that way as it pops up on my desktop.

I would like to get the "Submitted but not yet verified" cases sorted today by lunch time if possible so I can submit a completed list to the council by the end of today

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-10 at 10:39.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
So how does voting work if I continue to submit updates to extras-devel?

I plan on doing bug fixes only for now. Is this okay or should I wait until voting to make sure it's fair?

For example, if I make a fix and post it, THEN somebody downloads and votes, then the user will vote against my application AFTER the deadline.

Is this acceptable?

Personally, I think bug fixes should be welcome before voting is over, however new features should not be allowed.

Of course, keeping track could be a PITA....

Thoughts?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
So how does voting work if I continue to submit updates to extras-devel?

I plan on doing bug fixes only for now. Is this okay or should I wait until voting to make sure it's fair?

For example, if I make a fix and post it, THEN somebody downloads and votes, then the user will vote against my application AFTER the deadline.

Is this acceptable?

Personally, I think bug fixes should be welcome before voting is over, however new features should not be allowed.
Of course, keeping track could be a PITA....

Thoughts?
That's exactly what we ask for. See, how easy was that :P

also see yesterday's answer on the same thing

One thing we do ask in the rules is that a feature freeze is put on for the period of voting. Bugs can be fixed, are welcome to be fixed, and carry on developing ofcourse But we ask that voting is done on the features present on the version of the application available at the deadline.

This is to avoid the "I'll vote for you if you add X feature" problem.
It's also mentioned in the rules http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_codi...ion_2012#Rules
•There will be a feature freeze on entries during the voting stage of the competition. Please limit your code changes to bug fix only for any competition entry release during this period, and this restriction should remain until the end of the vote.

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-10 at 12:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
That's exactly what we ask for. See, how easy was that :P

also see yesterday's answer on the same thing
Oh, I see! Sorry to ask a question that's already been answered. This is great!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas