Active Topics

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
who, me.......?

http://jedibeeftrix.wordpress.com/20...-the-carriers/
Jedibeeftrix - did you see the Mobiles.co.uk N9 page a few weeks ago? I brought this to mynokiablog's attention and emailed mobiles.co.uk they shortly removed the page and told me
Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately, we are now unable to provide this handset on either Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go due to manufacturer requests. The advertisements have now been removed from our website.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused in relation to this matter. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,"

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/08/24/no...s-co-uk-store/

Just noticed you have made a comment there but if it was elop then he is having a laugh!

"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grazy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Yeah but uncompetitive vs everything else. The hardware doesn't reflect the price. Many dual core phones are cheaper. Also, last time I checked, metal costs more than plastic although its a beauty to behold though. Most of the cost is on the Nokia brand, it can't be manufacturing.
Well, it's the new "privilege of buying Nokia" (i.e. "stupid") tax.

Originally Posted by mooglez View Post
One angle to this N9 delay might be the "boat turning" that they have been making for the last two quarters.

Q2 & Q3 are supposed to be the bad quarters, and from Q4 onwards they are supposed to be in fighting shape again.

By releasing the N9 in around 1.10 they can get all those sales into Q4 to boost the difference between Q3 and Q4
Sooooo.. what, step 1 of 5 again?

Originally Posted by delmar View Post
11 brands: yahoo also (LOL)
You DID notice that Yahoo is doing badly, right? They actually FIRED their CEO recently. Not gracefully, either--FIRED by email. She was pisst and ranted about it publicly. So... yeah. I could see that too.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Yeah but uncompetitive vs everything else. The hardware doesn't reflect the price. Many dual core phones are cheaper. Also, last time I checked, metal costs more than plastic although its a beauty to behold though. Most of the cost is on the Nokia brand, it can't be manufacturing.
I think most of the cost is the OS-development. With no future devices, all the R&D costs fall on this N9 device. Nokia will probably never turn a profit from the MeeGo device, but they will probably try to make as much money of this device, without the burden that the device needs to start an ecosystem, since it doesn't need to anymore.

If the manufacturing is also difficult and expensive (as Nokia claims), that would just be another big screw-up. If the largest manufacturer of mobile phones, can't compete in manufacturing costs for their high-end device with all the smaller device makers because of design choices, that would be mind-boggling.
So I think it is a lie from Nokia in order to justify a high-price.

If you look at the hardware specs, the N9 should be just as cheap to produce as the Samsung galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy Wave S8500 or Palm Pre 2, otherwise Nokia screwed up, either because of bad-design choices, extremely low production numbers or totally uncompetitive worker costs of the Finland manufacturing plants.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by slarti View Post
- The first batch (and maybe the 2nd, too) of the 64 GB model is pre-ordered out
Huh, in which countries? I certainly don't hope so!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I predict this thread will hit 6000 posts in two days...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I predict this thread will hit 6000 posts in two days...
I reckon less than a day and this thread has got to be the most epic one ever on this forum

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I think most of the cost is the OS-development. With no future devices, all the R&D costs fall on this N9 device. Nokia will probably never turn a profit from the MeeGo device, but they will probably try to make as much money of this device, without the burden that the device needs to start an ecosystem, since it doesn't need to anymore.

If the manufacturing is also difficult and expensive (as Nokia claims), that would just be another big screw-up. If the largest manufacturer of mobile phones, can't compete in manufacturing costs for their high-end device with all the smaller device makers because of design choices, that would be mind-boggling.
So I think it is a lie from Nokia in order to justify a high-price.

If you look at the hardware specs, the N9 should be just as cheap to produce as the Samsung galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy Wave S8500 or Palm Pre 2, otherwise Nokia screwed up, either because of bad-design choices, extremely low production numbers or totally uncompetitive worker costs of the Finland manufacturing plants.
You forgot one aspect and that is Elop..... he had no choice but to make the N9 very high priced because this is what will pay his salary.

No way will he make anything on WP because of the hatred for him and Microsoft.

I can name one member on this thread who will shoot him without batting an eyelid .

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
What is the battery life on this device? If it is as bad as N900, its a deal breaker.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
@Bernard

Speculating on why it costs so much, without being there and involved with the costs of development and manufacturing and knowing where all the real costs are and profit margins of both the samsung and nokia devices, is a waste of time, its pointless and means nothing as it's just assumption and guesswork and hearsay. might as well try divine it from chicken innards spilled in a bowl, will have as much a chance of guessing something.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
@Bernard

Speculating on why it costs so much, without being there and involved with the costs of development and manufacturing and knowing where all the real costs are and profit margins of both the samsung and nokia devices, is a waste of time, its pointless and means nothing as it's just assumption and guesswork and hearsay. might as well try divine it from chicken innards spilled in a bowl, will have as much a chance of guessing something.
He doesn't need to be there... this is a competitive environment and if it costs Nokia's competitors FAR less to do better, then there is a failing. THAT is what it appears to me that Bernard pointed out. This isn't voodoo speculation, it's not black-box calculating and it's not really all that mysterious or odd for someone to point out that it shouldn't cost that much if many of Nokia's competitors are doing better, faster and cheaper work... then extending that into the speculative, but cognizant "they should be able to better, faster and cheaper with this too" comment.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????